1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just checked my oil. The car is on level ground, engine not run for about 20 hours and the oil level on the stick was about 1/4 inch above the top dot. Does that make it overfilled?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes. some say it is a problem, and can reduce mpg's. my mechanic always adds the amount recommended in the manual, and that's where it winds up. i have never found it to be a problem.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, like Bisco mentioned. Let me guess, that dealer did your last oil change?

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That would be a overfill. I don't know if it will hurt anything or not. Dealers have done that to me, i would drain some out. I started doing my own oil changes myself, and it seems if i put 4 quarts in the oil level will be right in the center of the hatched area of the dipstick.

5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You are correct, Santa Monica Toyota, the 20K free oil change. I think I'll get one of those hand pumps, stick it down the dipstick hole and get it down to the top dot. Thanks everybody for your replies, this is a great site!

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should talk to the service manager as well and let him/her know. Might make a difference...

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I was dealing with overfill I loosened the drain bolt, and carefully let a cup or so trickle out. Depending on your tools and situation this may or may not work for you.

Service departments are notorious for overfill. Our previous car's spec. for oil change was 3.2 liters. They would routinely dump in 4.0, 'till I got exasperated and started doing my own.

To be fair, from their perspective: they don't know if owners will ever check the oil themselves, tend to overfill for that reason. Also, when the spec is a partial liter (or qt), and they're using bottles: what to do with the excess? The answer all too frequently is: screw it, dump it in.

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Some say it's not a problem and although there may be tolerances, IMO those MAX and MIN marks are there for a reason.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1 I have done the same in putting only 4 quarts in on refills ever since beginning DIY. It brings the oil level very nicely midway between the two dimples on the dipstick. Trying to add 0.4 quarts to bring it to the top dimple is a PITA.

My thoughts exactly. I have heard others argue that you are hurting the engine by not having enough oil. As you say, why do they have the Max and Min dimples on the dipstick then?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    [quote="jdcollins5, post: 1754354, member: 55871...My thoughts exactly. I have heard others argue that you are hurting the engine by not having enough oil. As you say, why do they have the Max and Min dimples on the dipstick then?[/quote]

My guess would be: they determine optimum level, and how much variation is acceptable, and initially set the high and low marks at the extremes of that variation. Then, to play it safe, they pull those two marks a bit towards each other.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a fact that lower oil level results in higher oil temps. Thus, I would not recommend running on Min oil during hi speed hwy driving in hot weather. I did it once in my corolla to see it it helps with MPG a few years ago (ironically, based on Priuschat posts). It didn't, but oil consumption started at the same time. True, different engine and conventional oil, but still, it was harmful for my corolla.

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically, this is not how oil should be checked (see the manual). It makes a difference in some cars. But, probably overfilled a bit.