1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil overfill?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rosencrantz, Jul 10, 2018.

1. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I normally diy an oil change. However, I was in a hurry getting ready for a road trip and decided to have the oil changed at a place that specializes in Toyota’s. After the trip, I checked the oil and it appears it’s about a quarter inch (maybe 3/8th inch) above the full dimple on the dipstick. The car is a 2013, has about 80k miles and does not burn any oil. Should I go through the trouble of removing this extra oil? I’ve read about some of the gen2s and their sensitivity to being overfilled.

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Half quart too much. I would drain it, the drain bolt is easy to get to. But if you leave it, it probably won't do much damage

tankyuong likes this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would drain it too, especially since you are a DIYer. I just crack open the drain bolt and let some out, and reuse the washer.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would at least drive it once more and then check it again.
    Letting it drain down at least an hour and being sure that it is on level ground.
    Might not need to worry about it after that.