1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Overfilled 5/8 inch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metrolens, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, just had my oil changed on my 2005 Gen 2, and the dipstick shows 5/8" over the top dot. Is this a problem?

Based on my oil bottle, I think they put in ~4.25 quarts. Which is more than the recommended 3.9 quarts.

I want to avoid going back to the garage to have them fix this, as I told them beforehand not to overfill it, and they assured me, and here we are.

So, would this LARGE SYRINGE work to remove the excess? I would simply pop the hood, open the oil refill cap, lower the tubing into the oil tank, and siphon out the necessary amount to bring it below the top dot on the dipstick?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it is only about a cup overfill, I'd be inclined to just live with it. Does the level drop over time? If so I'd be more inclined.

If it's really bugging you, and you're able to raise the car and get under, I would just loosen the drain bolt, till it's almost off, keep pressing it in, and cant it slightly, get a trickle going, till you've drained off a cup (use something like a mason jar with gradations), or even two cups, to be sure. Then check again, after running the engine, and be sure to be on level ground, top up as required. For safety, just incase it gets away from you, have a drain pan under the whole thing too.

A caution though, it's a little stressful, holding the drain bolt like that, and it'll take a few minutes to trickle out enough, just get yourself comfortable, some neck support.

Clicking on your link, that looks like a good idea though. The main question: would the tube be thin enough? You could probably jury-rig a thinner tube though. The more I think about, the more I'm thinking you should disregard everything I said above, give that a go first, lol.

3. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mendel. However I can't get under the car, I'm not set up for that. Wouldn't that large syringe I mention above do the trick?

I just saw your edit - that the syringe/tube would be a good idea. Do you know how big the smallest hole is to access the oil reservoir? Obviously the oil cap opening is much wider than the syringe tubing, but is there a narrower opening I have to get past?

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah read my addendum, it does seem a good idea. The questions ask about the diameter of the tube. I'm sure you could just swap to a thinner tube too, if needed. Go for it and report back?

5. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mendel. I ordered it. According to feedback/questions on the Amazon product page, the tubing has a 1/4" outside diameter, a 1/8" inside diameter, and is 47 inches long.

6. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Next question, assuming the tubing isn't too thick, would it be better to remove the excess oil via the OIL FILL hole, or via the DIPSTICK hole? Apologies if this is a dumb question, but it strikes me that both might work.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Too late !! :ROFLMAO:

With a 13 year old vehicle, I certainly would NOT be obsessing over an extra .3 quart of oil.
    My advice: Just leave it ALONE. It likely won't stay that full for very long.

8. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again - I see people doing this exact procedure on YouTube via the Dipstick hole. So that will be my first option, unless someone else chimes in.

Sam, to me, the age of the car isn't a factor here - if anything, an older car will be more susceptible to break, if not maintained properly. And based on many posts I've seen here, 5/8" overfilled most certainly is problematic.

#8 Metrolens, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two simple measures that would help in this situation.
    1) Change the oil yourself.
    2) Install yourself or have a shop install a Fumoto valve. I change my own oil, but depending on my mood, the phase of the moon and how much Rainer Beer I may have consumed, sometimes I find I have glugged a bit too much Dino into the block. A quick opening of the Fumoto provides a nice, neat solution.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can't recover oil through the oil filler cap opening: it's too high up, in the camshaft zone, oil just trickles through there, doesn't linger.

Made myself useful: the measured Outside diameter of the O-ring on the handle of the dipstick, likely more-or-less equal to the Inside Diameter of the guide tube, is 8 mm, so you should be ok with 1/4" OD tubing.

One or two things worry me about those valves. The main issue, head idiot in charge of maintenance (me) might not close it tight. Or, it gets hit and knocked off.

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and Metrolens like this.
  11. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again everyone. I will, therefore, try siphoning via the dipstick hole.

Stevewoods, thanks but I don't have a good setup to be able to get under the car to do oil changes myself. That would be optimal, but hopefully this siphon solution will be a workaround.

Will report back.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The gen 2 has a mass filter problem with to much oil, the consensus is to leave it 1/4" low on the dipstick so yes 5/8th's over is a problem, do a search, when the mass filter get's soaked, oil starts getting into the burn cycle, big no-no, even the dealer knows this.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After changing the oil 20 times on my 07 the car takes exactly 3.6 quarts with a new factory oil filter.

Jiffy lube’s database says the G2 takes 5 quarts for instance.I always say that’s nice your putting this in today and hand them a bottle with 3.6 quarts.

Not sure but I think the g3 motor takes more oil than the g2 motor so maybe they get that confused,
    Mendel what’s the G3 take?

Based on my experience I think 5/8 inch overfill is close to a quart overfilled.

m.wynn likes this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m sure your wife refers to you in much more glowing terms:whistle:.

m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With filter change: 4.2 liters, I believe 4.4 US quarts.

I let it drain well, then put in that amount, don't even bother looking at the dipstick, for at least day or two. And then when I do, I find it's just on the underside of the full mark. If I didn't drain so thoroughly it maybe would be on full mark.

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    YES!

You have way more than .35quart overfill.

1) OP has WAY MORE than .35quart excess overfill.
    2) Horrible advice to leave it be. READ this post, then ask yourself if you would let this known problem be.

Ed is probably closest to correct volume overfill. .35quart overfill is OFF.

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE="...One or two things worry me about those valves. The main issue, head idiot in charge of maintenance (me) might not close it tight. Or, it gets hit and knocked off.[/QUOTE]

I have a Fumoto valve on my Prius and love it. The Fumoto valve has a detent in its movement to ensure that it is closed and remains so. Additionally, Fumoto now makes a clip that slides over the lever to double-lock it. Before they started selling the clip they recommended placing a small hose clamp over the valve for off-road applications (farm tractors, etc.). I use a hose clamp even though I never get off of a paved road.

The only disadvantage to the valve is that it takes longer for the oil to drain due to the reduced diameter of the drain hole.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No it isn't.
    But you are certainly free to believe whatever BS you want to believe.
    Good luck.

19. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to successfully siphon via the dipstick guide tube. The dipstick now reads just below top dot. I pulled what looks to be around 1/2 quart out total, on three extractions. The procedure was a bit tricky and messy, but overall I'd say it worked perfectly. Thanks to all for the input.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have any specific experience working on Prius Gen 2 or knowledge them, it is probably better the you don't comment. While generalist knowledge can be helpful, at other times it can be detrimental. You sound like the type of person that once they have made up their mind, there is no changing it. Mores the pity. Further there is no need to continually flame people with whom you disagree.