1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil plug washer really necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriBeeee, Feb 14, 2013.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe Toyota has changed, but the washer is included when you buy an oil filter for a GEN III.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I puchased a whole case of the OEM filters. None of the boxes have any washers in them.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry...my Dealership has included them in every filter box and never charged extra. I have the receipts. Perhaps it is just in house policy. They do charge me for the fill and drain plug washers when I buy WS for the tranny though.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The rubber/plastic coatings came in over the last decade. Before that it was plain aluminum washers. I don't know that the coated ones are an improvement: never had a problem with the plain ones (changed it with every oil change), they're less prone to stick, and sometimes the rubberized ones are an overly tight fit on the bolt.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is interesting to me that some folks here are reporting coatings on the washer for the oil drain plug. The washer's that Toyota is supplying me when I buy the filter and request a washer are not coated that I can see. They look like a flat washer. I am not sure if they are magnetic or not. So far I have had no problems with the washer leaking.

This is the first car I ever owned that required the washer to be changed. IIRC, the washers were always reused on all of the other engines I have ever encountered.

I will inquire about the coating the next time I purchase a filter and pick up the washer. FWIW, Toyota has never listed the washer on the invoice. They simply handed me one as I always ask for it when I pick up the filter. I am using the standard spin on filter that fits the Gen II Prius.

Ron

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say it is more likely that the washer is stuck to the drain pan exterior, if a washer is even present. If stuck to the drain pan, it can be removed by gently tapping on the edge of the washer with a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer.

I think that the washers may be regionally sourced. For example, I buy parts from Champion Toyota in Houston, TX. Unlike most parts that I purchase from that source, those washers are not packaged in the usual Toyota packaging and may be from an aftermarket source.

The washer has a dark grey color and when the edge is viewed, it appears to be a composite sandwich of some sort, probably to allow a degree of crushing to improve the seal.

I wouldn't reuse that washer, but I understand that others may be comfortable with a more liberal reuse policy.

Some dealer parts depts will provide the washer at no charge when they do a retail oil filter sale (probably because the retail price allows sufficient markup to provide that freebie.)

7. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good points, it is wise to verify the old washer is not stuck to the plug or the pan. Certainly having 2 washers on is a very undesired condition. If even possible.
    The other thing that has happened to me was, a mechanic failed to notice the rubber seal ring on my oil filter had stuck to the seating groove on the block. So he installed a new filter with a new seal ring and an old one still in place. As soon as the car was started, oil went blowing every where. It was the first oil change on my 88 accord. 1000 miles, man I was dancing that day!

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here`s what`s on my (Toyota Canada) Parts Invoice:

part number: 90430-12031
    description: GASKET (yes, it`s the oil pan drain plug washer, LOL)
    bin: 10A4A (this might just be relevant to my dealership)