1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil pressure low light pops up

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pat1, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Pat1

Pat1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Base
    My oil as been filled up last week and today on my way home the light popped up a few times for about 2 seconds each time. I've also noticed that the oil level is dropping way too fast lately. I've had it for 2 years now the first one the level never budged but in the past 4 months I've had to ad 3L in. I have no clue what is wrong. Someone told me it could be a faulty piston ring letting oil in the combustion chamber. But if it was the case the smoke would be blue and it isn't. Does anyone have any idea what could cause a problem like mine.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it?

3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A question about the "low oil level" light.

Does this actually say "low oil level"? I ask because I've never seen this on my dash, and it's also (not that I recall) in any of the "non-utilized" indicators you can sometimes see when the sunlight hits your dash just right. I've also logged into the toyota owners website and it doesn't show anything about a "low oil level" light.

In regards to your concern. If your not seeing the oil on the ground, then indeed it's being burned in your engine. Either worn valves or piston ring(s). If you ask any Tech worth their money, they'd tell you that a valve clearance inspection/adjustment should be completed and if needed adjusted. On the Prius C it's actually a recommended service at 60,000 miles.

As my Brother & Son would tell you (both Master Tech's), passing this up, your going to be ok. But keep passing it up and your going to have issues. They would also tell you that's it's "Critical" if your engine is a direct injection. (Your Prius C is not direct injection). But I mention that because I'm constantly hearing those two chat about the subject. So if you have a vehicle that is equipped with it - pay particular attention.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the c is anything like the other models, it doesn't have an oil level switch or light. What you're seeing is low oil pressure ... which is generally from low oil level but could also be a problem with the oil pump and other things. Most commonly, it low level that brings on low pressure. And you already know the car is an oil burner.

A compression test might be revealing because rings are often the problem on modern engines since they don't push as hard on the cylinder walls as older engines in an effort to reduce friction. Oil builds up around the rings and they don't seal so well which causes lots of blowby. Frequent oil changes can help prevent this.

I don't see how valves needing adjustment can lose oil. Worn valve guides will cause oil loss, though. The clue for the worn guides is a big puff of smoke when you start the car after it sits all night because it's burning off the oil that seeped past the seals. However, this kind of oil loss is a lot slower than the burn off from failing piston rings.

All that said, to lose that much oil in just two weeks is pretty extreme. I'd be making sure that whoever changed your oil got the drain plug and oil filter properly installed.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OP’s saying “low oil pressure light” as far as I can see.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Mendel. You are correct. And I don't see that the original post has any edits. So I don't know where the "level light" idea came from. Dubit brought it up and I wanted to expand on that a little, not even noticing that Pat didn't mention a low oil level light -- just low oil level. :oops:

Mendel Leisk likes this.