1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil quantity between min and max marks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 4md, Aug 1, 2017.

1. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure I read somewhere how much is the quantity of the oil between the min and max dots on the dipstick, but I can't find it. Can somebody tell?

I'm joining the oil burners club :ROFLMAO: The level is in the middle of the marks after 8000km (5000 miles) and it was filled to the max mark when changed and I'm wondering what is my oil consumption...

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, it's pretty buried, page 427:

upload_2017-8-1_5-37-34.png

And distance between the two marks measure 1.5", works perfectly with the liter measure, and pretty close with the US quart.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    CR94, 4md and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're great, thank you!
    It turns out that mine "drinks" around 0.8qt / 5k miles (0.75L / 8k km). I'm thinking to try some oil flush with additives before the next change.
    And then pouring some GTL based Shell Ultra Professional 0w-20 (This Shell and Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 are the same oil).

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not terrible, how many miles/kilometers, on the odometer?

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    BAD plan.

What you should do: NOTHING except keep an eye on it.

If you MUST do something, put in a slightly heavier grade of oil.......like 15W40 maybe.
    But I wouldn't even consider that until your oil usage gets to be about twice what it is now.

6. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has 172k km (107k miles). This is my first car that burns oil, I've had 1.2, 2.0, 3.0 gasoline and 1.6, 2.0 and two 2.2 diesels, none of them were even touching it. I read a lot about the oil consumption in Toyota engines and mine isn't really an issue, compared to some of the bad cases and I won't do anything major and definitely won't put thicker than 5w-30 in it in the future if the consumption raises. If I'm not mistaken, it burned the most of it when the ambient temps were more than 40*C (104*F).

If some day the oil consumption raises to unbearable levels, I would open the ICE, clean the pistons and put new rings, 15w-40 is waaaay thicker than recommended one and usually this viscosity is mineral oil with а lot worse specifications.
    You're right, I won't buy any additives, I'll take 150 - 200ml (5 - 6.5oz) diesel fuel from my other car and will put it in the oil for 10km (6miles) drive before changing.:LOL:

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've currently got an 06 Honda Civic in the family, with consumption around 0.8 liters every 8000 kms. It has maybe 220K km's on the odometer. Every Honda I've owned through the years has had some, similar consumption, as the km's build. That is apart from our current Prius, which so far has no consumption, at around 70K kms.

I wouldn't get too excited about your level of consumption, maybe try 15W30, and monitor and top up.

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well to each his own but........I think that is a pretty stubborn and unrealistic attitude. The main reason that the "recommended" oils are getting thinner is: A tiny increase in fuel mileage because of the thinner oil. A heavier oil WILL NOT hurt anything in the engine, especially when it has 100K miles on it and the weather is really HOT.

AND.....mineral oil is not inherently "worse" than synthetic. The synthetic just holds up better when you want a really thin oil and still cover a practical temperature operating range.

But the bottom line now is: You really do not have a problem........yet........and don't need to do ANYTHING, especially not putting any kind of solvents into your oil.

9. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get what you mean, but I said that for the piston rings, because I do all the work on my and family cars by myself and this task is not a problem, a weekend job. The recommendations for the oil are not only their grade, but their specification, their flash point, TBN, contents of elements such as molybdenum, phosphorous, zinc, calcium, lead, aluminium, etc, etc, etc... The most "synthetic" oils use mineral base oils, the exceptions are GTL based ones, but "good" synthetics have more additives to "keep the oil good" for longer periods (dissolving acids from burning fuel, etc) and to expand the temperature range. Here the temps can drop to -30*C (-22*F), sometimes they can go up to 45*C (113*F) and the cars stay outside, so for the people who need their cars all year 'round, the good synthetic here is a must and I can't afford 15w - it becomes like jelly when it's cold.

Again, I get what you mean, I appreciate it and understand that this consumption cannot be called a problem yet, and also that it's not needed to do anything to resolve non-existing issue, but I think to do it - as you said because of stubbornness and to experiment if it will dissolve any potential buildup because of the piston design with insufficient holes for the oil.

Mendel Leisk likes this.