1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil recommendations- 200k mikes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gilbert, Feb 27, 2018.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That looks a near dead-ringer for the Honda one, with the plus: a small opening, to facilitate prying it off.

My older, larger diameter Honda filter socket had that, but not the smaller, current size.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can never go wrong with the oil recommended in the owners manual.

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the correct tools to remove the filter.. it was just too tight.. maybe if I had slinger wrench for more torque... but only had a basic one, which ain’t that long

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Locate a piece of pipe and fit it over the handle to make it longer ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I noticed that you noted in a prior post that a part of the cover broke. The OE tool slides on snug. (There is a slight resistance as it goes on. This is with a hot/warmed up engine). I had to carefully tap the edge of the tool until it came off. I guess Toyota engineers realized this and designed the hole in the cap wrench because they knew it was such a tight tolerance that it would be difficult to separate from the cap. I could imagine if it were REALLY STUCK that you'd end up cracking the cover in half with the stuck portion still attached. It is that tight of a fit...

Unfortunately plastics have a higher thermal expansion rate than metal, IIRC from looking it up before, exacerbating the issue. That said I did not have trouble getting it loose the two times I've tried now....

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have a ratchet wrench extension on it and have it snugged on still, you can kinda lever the socket off. I like that opening though, might break down and get one of those: you can never have enough tools...

Pretty expensive though, the genuine tools often are.

#27 Mendel Leisk, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Digging into some details on filter specs I found the same TRD filter fits both the iQ and Prius v. This just dawned upon me, but the filter cap of the iQ is metal. (I hope my memory is not failing me, that oil change was about 6 months ago now!) I wonder if it would just screw in, with the filter fitting just right....

9. Angie Singer

Angie Singer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I recommend doing it yourself all the time to save money and ensure that you always change the filter. Do it every 3,000k with Kirkland synthetic oil - I have a 2008 with over 200,000 running like a dream even after an accident fix. Only problem I had was what oil does to cat if not full synthetic and changed often enough (that was replaced before 200K because someone stole it which actually worked for me - cheaper deductible than the replacement cost - God helped us ). Also make sure to have sparks and PVC changed - as scheduled, keep up with fluids. If you treat it right, they seem to last forever. Living this Prius and saving thousands in gas !!

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might get more relevant responses if you post about your 2nd-generation car in a 2nd-generation forum.

Grit likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)