1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil spilled onto rubber suspension bushing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tekdeus, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there, while changing my engine oil I accidentally spilled oil behind the engine and some flowed onto/into one of the rubber suspension bushings (A-arm?). I flushed the area with brake cleaner then blew it dry with compressed air. Are these OEM rubber bushings oil resistant, or is this a risk of damaging the bushing prematurely? Thanks for your help.

2. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    nothing to worry about.....
    They are made to withstand all on road chemicals and oil....what really make them go bad is heat and after is used to absorb stress from suspension components for so many times...chemical structure of rubber compound will deteriorate

valde3 likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually the greaser under there the better. I routinely spray lubrication on all rubber bushings and moving parts of the suspension. This reduces corrosion and extends the life of that part and side benefit no squeaks
    Or groans ever. Been doing this for 30 years.
    Spray in the a arm bushings the stab links the tierods the motor mounts and the entire rear trailing arm suspension.I also apply black magic spray conditioner on the cv joint boots and the steering rack boots and the coolant hoses. Rip in any of those and the joint will quickly fail.
    Spray grease all door hinges in the door key hole lock the hood latch the hatch latch and hinges the door rubber wire bellows. Also the trans FG sensor plug assy is known to rot out so I hose that too.

On my 07 I also pull the wheel center cap off and fill that entire hole with synthetic grease. It keeps the wheel nut from rusting which if you ever have to take the knuckl it will be stuck to the hub And then your screwed.

Best product to use is PB BLASTER CSP SPRAY GREASE. It is an odorless heavier viscosity spray grease designed to stop corrosion. Don't use god awful wd40 which stinks and sucks as a lubricant anyway.
    Only place that sells CSP is Home Depot. Black Magic conditioner is great rubber treatment product.
    10 years later all window rubber moldings look good. Found at any parts store.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ed is telling you true. I don't think most people think about treating all the rubber molding around the doors/windows/hatch/hood, but doing so is paramount in extending functionality.

I do it every spring....or is it every fall.....I think I have inadvertently been doing it twice a year....:whistle::whistle:

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Kris.....Black magic makes some nice stuff I like the Tire magic too but the Back to Black Meguurs protectant is really good for the weird black plastic on our car.
    Found that at the Toyota parts counter.

I turned a guy on at work to CSP and he went all over his boat with it.
    And got after the back suspension in his truck that tows the boat that gets dunked in the ocean. Told me he could kick himself not doing anything about the corrosion on his boat and truck for years.
    The CSP is abating what corrosion has started for him.