1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. alcor

alcor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was at the dealership today, (not where I purchased the car) and asked again what oil they were using on the 2010 Prius's. I was told for the second time that they were using 5-20 regular oil. They assured me that in our climate (Eugene, Oregon) 0 viscosity oil was not necessary. I am still trying to decide what I will do when the time comes. At this juncture I will most likely go with the 0-20 synthetic as recommended

I love the car, but I am not happy with the cartridge oil filter, and allegedly having to use synthetic oil.

Alan

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny - the ads we get in the mail for regional service say "0W-20" or "5W-20" oil extra on all of the oil change and/or 5k/15k/30k interval service.

3. CASUMIK

CASUMIK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i totally agree. I have used nothing but mobil one(every 3000 miles,maybe overkill) in all my trucks(toyotas of course)and equipment(i own a small landscaping business with ztr mowers and other various pieces of equipment). I am amazed at the savings in equipment repairs. On average a commercial mower's engine is good for about 1200-1500 hours of heavy use. I have had mowers go as long as 6000+ hours using only 5w30 mobil one(we use 10w40 and heavier mobil one in the hydrostats) i can confidently say that i have saved thousands in repairs and engine replacements. I use 0w20 in my current 2007 prius and my wife's matrix.synthetic is well worth the extra expense. Our toyota dealer has 0w20 synthetic for sale in the parts dept.and they use it in service if you ask for it.i will say though if you dont ask for it you will probably get 5w30(regular oil) put in.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very interesting how some dealerships still don't get it. They probably use whatever sludge is sitting in the tote bin out back

5. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a firm believer in synthetic. I change it out every 5k as dictated by the manual. Even that is overkill but the piece of mind I get is worth it. I bet my engine will last me 200,565 miles at least!!!

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The motor will probably last that long run on conventional oil, sticking to the 5,000 limit. I first started using synthetics for proven low temp performance, especially -30 F and colder

7. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My friend has a 2008 Camry Hybrid and guess what 0-20W or 5-20W is what is recommended for her car . And the manual says either can be used but fuel economy and winter starting easier with 0-20W.
    So then I check her Toyota dealership oil changes I see they had used 5W-20 but last oil change it said 5W-30 , looks like they goofed . Who knows what they actually used or if a misprint on
    the receipt? And this was a Toyota dealership you would think they would know what oil to use. I went to Walmart to get her
    a quart of Mobil 1 0-20W cause she was a quart low in 5K miles but I told her get it changed again and tell them to use 5-20.
    I doubt they use synthetic - I think the 0-20 only comes in synethic and it still is very rare to find . $6.28 /qt in Walmart.
    Thank God my 2009 Prius requires only 5W-30.
    0-20W is so new , I never heard of that viscosity before .

It seems the 2008 Camry is not as strict as the 2010 Prius/
    from the 2010 Prius manual :
    SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 may be used. How-ever, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change. The 0W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates the characteristic of the
    oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather. The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehi-cle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

8. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Honda Civic Hybrids have required 0W20 since 2003. I am not sure about the 1998-2004/early Insights???? I use 0W30 in all my vehicles. PRIUS ROCKS!

9. dbosch

dbosch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why does local Toyota dealer use conventional 5W-20 oil? Don't they read the manual?

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For all you know, it was bulk, no-name 10W-30. Or whatever the low-bidder of the week pumped into the bulk tank out back. Maybe the same tanker was used the previous trip to pick up USED oil, not cleaned out, pumped full of no-name 10W-30, and they put THAT into your motor

If you want to have fun, bring along an oil sample bottle and ask the dealership to fill it. Send it off to be tested. Prepare yourself for the results, which will be pretty awful

11. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Acids build up in oil, they come from combustion of hydrocarbons and water vapor. One concern for aircraft is to ensure the oil get's up to at least 180f to cook off the water vapor. If you can't get the oil hot enough in an airplane, you cut the change interval in half.
    This is one of the big reasons you hear that short trips are bad on a car, perhaps since the ICE is so often off the reason for the short change interval may be because the oil in a Prius may not always get hot enough and stay hot for a long enough time to ensure the moisture does not build up in the oil?
    I'm at Oshkosh now, got the car Yesterday, when I return I will change the oil. I'm of the opinion that 90% of the wear metals that come off of an engine do so very quickly. I like to dump the first oil quickly.
    Due to the manner of the Prius's operation of the ICE, RPM, Manifold pressure, constant starts and stops etc., I don't think you can necessarily compare it to a Corvette or most any other car.
    I would stick with the oil type and viscosity as well as the change interval recommended by Toyota.
    If I had a dealer using the incorrect oil, I would find another dealer.

12. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ditto, I have had 3 bad oil changes at a dealer. One each Dodge, Totota, and Honda. If you can not see the service bay and watch they could be putting just about anything in and you would never know except for mileage and oil sample tests. I always take my oil to the dealer but that does not mean the will put it in. ARGH!
    Buy some Toyota oil filters and find a good local mechanic and have him change it while you watch. Same goes for antifeeze and tranny fluid. If you can't watch or know the mechanic you could be getting anything that they decide to shove in it and claim its special.

13. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you guy's really want to learn about oil and quit listening to urban legends etc. try Welcome Think of it as the "Prius Chat" for oils and lubricants
    I am a fan of the "German Castrol" 0W-30, I run it in most everything I own. It is actually German made and imported here.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As far as oil, I routinely do used oil analysis, and even sometimes send the filter off for analysis. That's the only way to know for sure how the oil holds up in your application

I like Castrol Syntec 0W-30, the made in Germany version. It's easy to find here, which is an added bonus. I was using Mobil 1 0W-40 in the FJ, but local supplies have dried up

15. galtgulch

galtgulch New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I drive a 2005 Prius and buy the 5 gal Synthetic Oil from Wal Mart so I know what goes in as I bring it with me for the oil changes.

16. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You guys should check out the claims by Militec 1. I saw a demonstration of it at a car show. It was amazing stuff. I have used it for years but am waiting for my prius engine to first break in. It can literally keep the engine from breaking in.