1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok I get 487 miles a tank

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MansTer420, May 9, 2013.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No.

Pretend there is a stop sign a 1/2 mile ahead. You can either lift off the gas then reapply a little throttle to go into a glide (using no gasoline) now or you can continue applying throttle to maintain speed then start your braking at the 1/8th mile mark. You tell me which one is more efficient.

A: Go into a glide and coast for 1/2 mile using no fuel then brake at the last moment and recapture a tiny amount of energy.
    B: Continue to use fuel until the 1/8th mile mark then recapture a little more energy which then undergoes conversion losses.

Theory and practice will say that option A uses the least amount of fuel.

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Now I get your point. Thanks for the clarification. I do glide as much as possible, although learning to glide the Gen III was a little more difficult than the Gen II. I can be a little thick headed sometimes!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the more you brake, the more energy it costs you. sounds counter intuitive, but it simply means you saw the red light too late. if you see it soon enough, you coast as long as possible. no one is saying you never have to brake, you can't coast to a stop unless you're going uphill.:LOL:
    and you have to consider the people behind you. if you see the light a long way off, you can't coast down below the speed limit. you have to maintain it until a reasonable distance, then start coasting, then gently braking.

4. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not the battery meter, the charge meter. You don't want the charge meter to fill while braking.

5. spoolinq

spoolinq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've read this before a couple times on the forum but never understood why. So the goal is to not fill the charge meter? How does one accomplish this?

6. Eclipse1701d

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    On the display, the meter that goes right when accelerating and the left when braking. If you break lightly and make the meter go no more the 3/4 to the left, you are sending the max amount of energy to your batteries, without engaging the friction brakes, so it's regenerative only.

7. spoolinq

spoolinq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So if I understand correctly, one should step on the brakes hard to avoid sending energy to the battery? Isn't this how Toyota designed it to be though? I thought the point was to be more efficient and store this energy when braking. Am I missing something?

8. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Use the brakes sparingly. Jamming on the pedal is not going to be mpg friendly. Keep the gauge from being pegged all the way to the left when possible.

9. Eclipse1701d

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No, you should do just the opposite. Brake lightly to capture energy and not engage your brake pads.

spoolinq likes this.
  10. spoolinq

spoolinq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

ah that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.