1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok, I need to know the real deal...I ran out of gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Eco-chic, Mar 30, 2008.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :argue:
    LOL I like how you state the obvious answer about just fill up with 2 Pips left and that guy doesn't want to admit that it is his own fault for running out of gas. It wasn't me, it's the bladder.
    He might as well have said that Aussie guy is an idiot because he gets gas when his fuel guage says he is low on gas, I'm much smarter I prefer to make sure the tank is really empty first.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The early model VW Beetles and my former motor cycle had no fuel gauge. They had a lever you flipped when the engine started to die that gave the 'reserve' gas . . . enough to reach a gas station (usually.) The modern equivalent is a small container of gas, your last reserve, carried in the car.

Bob Wilson

3. drydaveh

drydaveh drydaveh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ok, Bob, but that doesn't get the tank to take the full capacity. i can only get about 9 gals in.
    my goal is to get the 11 + gals in the tank. is there a technique or procedure to get the tank to take the full capacity again?
    thanks,
    dave

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We used to have one of those VWs. My brother was driving it one time when it started to run out of gas. He flipped the reserve and finished driving home, neglecting to tell my parents. The next day, on my Mom's way to work, the bug started to sputter. She went to flip the lever, and guess what: Surprise! She wasn't very happy. When you ran those bugs dry you had to prime the carburetor to get the air out of the fuel line.

Another problem with the old bugs was the hood latch. The fuel filler was under the front hood (bonnet), so you had to open it to refill. When you opened the hood, it locked open. You had to press a release lever to shut it. In those days of full service gas and spring hood lifters on domestic cars, we had our hood bent more than once by a gas station gorilla.

Tom

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mostly, no. Large areas of the US get E10 now, even year-round, for air quality reasons.

6. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    No there is not.

8. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use some 1 3/4" pipe insulation that I bought at Lowe's.

9. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have a scan tool that allows you to continuously monitor engine temperature you must be very careful about when you have the grille blocking in place! It's way not worth it to gain a few MPGs but then burn up your valves.

10. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think anyone has found a way to do this.

As far as the manual's comment that capacity can be reduced, I had not seen that before. I still find it to be very missleading, because the capacity of the tank is never 11.9 gallons.

I think we should just designate MSCRMS the "Pruischat Battery Guru". While his posts are long, they are always extremely informative.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not do what 4 wheel drive drivers do here, spend $1500 and get a bigger fuel tank fitted?

You only have to stop every 6 to 8 hours of driving for 5 to 10 minutes to put about 40 litres of fuel in for goodness sake, what is the problem? Think of the time you save only putting 40 litres in not 70 or 120 litres.

Note everything I say is to be taken with a grain of salt, I have no bladder in my car. Even my opinion on road transport law in South Australia is worthless due to the lack of a bladder. What is even worse, I have an adjustable drivers seat!!!! And rear disc brakes!!!!! and repeater indicators on the front guards just in front of the front doors!!!! and my car is a base model here.

12. MacT66

MacT66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    jeeze, don't get your panties in a wad.

13. greenekr

greenekr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Winston...I can tell you that on a road trip going into Nashville, Tenn in 91 degree temps, I had 3 pips showing. A few minutes later coming out of Nashville, I had 2 showing. We were going up a hill on in 4 lanes of fast moving traffic, when suddenly the alarm sounded and our Prius lost power. Fortunately, we were able to get to the side of the road (from the furthest lane) and shut down the car. Have never really understood what happened, but my service manager thinks that with the heat, high speed and going up a hill all collaborated to cause the problem. Before that we had been able to go to the flashing bar to fill up....greenekr

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well seeing as this whole discussion is about a couple of gallons of fuel I thought I was entitled to say that to you. But my car hasn't got a fuel bladder.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    IMHO, when the engine stops, the full capacity of that tank has just been used. Just use the 1 gallon can to get to a gas station and have a happy.

Bob Wilson

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, An old saying.
    "There are none so blind as those who will not see." Springs to mind.

17. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wouldn't welding up a simple jerrycan rack for the back be more economical? You could probably get a complete refill off 2 cans! A 4 can rack would triple your range! ;)

Rob

18. drydaveh

drydaveh drydaveh

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    man, 3000 plus posts. sad. i'm out of here.

19. schaeffz

schaeffz Prius Newbie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, is it really safe to carry a one gallon gas container in your car? Don't they all have a little breather hole that would emit fumes? Wouldn't you want a breather hole to avoid expansion pressure in the container when it heats up? I would not feel safe carrying that in my car all the time.

I had one of those early VW Beetles when I was in Germany in the early '70s. The gas tank had a short "dam" at the bottom that held about a liter of gas in reserve while the rest of the tank was being drained. So when the engine started sputtering, simply turn the handle under the dash which opened a little "sluece gate" that let the liter of gas into the main tank, and I was good for another 15 klicks or so to find a gas station. On trips I kept a five gallon gas tank in the "trunk" (in the front!). Sure was fun driving around Europe in that little VW. It didn't have a heater fan, just convection from the engine compartment drawing hot air thru some ductwork. Had to manually wipe moisture off the windows in wet weather. Oh, to be young and adventurous again.

So, I'll fill up my Prius religiously when I get one blip, since I'm no longer young and adventurous! Only on the third tank so far, so I'm glad for this thread and all the advice.

And, ever notice how cold the fill-up nozzle is at the gas station? The gas is underground, probably at about 56degreesF when you put it in that bladder, probably stiffening it up. Assuming the badder contracts as it empties, and then gets cold as you fill up, I would suppose it stiffens up and won't expand and won't fill up. I think I'll experiment by filling up then filling up the next day, after the gas and the bladder warm up, and see if I can get more fuel in it?

It is disappointing to think that there is only a 10 gallon practical capacity in the Prius. There are not many cars that have that small a gas tank. None in the "mid-sized" category as the Prius is. I'm also surprised that Consumer's Report does not mention this bladder tank and its issues.

20. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There aren't many cars that will go 500-600 miles on a tank, irrespective of its size. That's meaningful to me, not that I can't squeeze in another gallon or two.