1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OK, I quit - just deleted PriusChat and What Drives Us podcasts from my itunes queue

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by stevemcelroy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Russell, all I have to say is...... PUDDING!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    don't watch Top Gear

FWIW, I don't watch Top Gear. After hearing a bunch of drivel from Clarkson (e.g. slamming the Nissan 350Z, claiming the Porsche Boxster was the best value in sports cars (something along those lines) in a comparo and later his slamming the Prius along w/his spreading junk science), I have even less of a reason to watch it.

It's a shame that Top Gear is apparently so popular and unfortunately, I see Clarkson's echoing of the junk science being repeated on other car forums or car blog comments. :mad:

I will say that I enjoy the TWiT podcast (The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte). It's the only podcast I listen to on a regular basis. I sometimes listen to some NPR ones like Most e-mailed stories, technology, Planet Money and economy.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    WDU should invite Steve to the show.

4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone - this is just what I had hoped - I tried to bring some constructive criticism to something that I felt was a problem. As a listener from early on I feel invested in the show. I hope that those involved will at least consider my comments and perhaps they could help make the show interesting to a wider base of listeners. I do not know what the download/listener info is, but I have noted that at the end of most shows they put in a plug to like the show on facebook and mention the current like count - the growth on that metric alone seems pretty anemic. How many otherwise interested parties listened once or twice when they felt the show was just a bunch of uninformed Prius and Insight fanboys/fangirls (to use a term from the show)?

Tesla was just one example and I picked it because it was pretty high viability. While the story was released because of the IPO it made the rounds in many other places some of which include just about all car sites and magazines, cleanMPG.com, Fast Company, Treehugger.com, engadget.com, NPR and the NY Times.

Evan - Top Gear is pretty clear on the fact that they are entertainers and not reporters - a point they made, I believe, in the whole Tesla kerfuffle. Yes they do take things to extremes to make points, but they are both entertaining as hell and know their stuff. I do not think any of what I said applies to Top Gear - they do not go on the air "cold" without doing any prep work. I know that they are all paid handsomely for it and have a staff behind them but they are prepared.

Russell - The point that I made was that I'd argue that the Roadster is one of the most important alt fuel vehicles not that that the story that it was going away was. The panelists all gushed about the love of and desire for the Roadster - not knowing would have been less of a big deal if your takes had been disinterested. My purpose was not to belittle - had that been the case I just would have left a nasty review on iTunes and had been done with it.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of the best features of the podcast is that it is live with a chat room for members who want to participate. The input from the chat room goes right into the discussion of the show. These guys every week try to sort out information from the trash and rumors that our media is famous for.

I think Steve can contribute to the show in the chat room, or by posting any new information found after the taping of the podcast. Information is an on-going process, usually leaked and inaccurate at first. I don't need to remind anybody that the media reports anything tweeted as news.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Anyway, that damned show *still* has not delivered to my driveway the Prius 'C' promised yesterday.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, Motortrend is trying to change that!

Toyota Prius C Begins to Take Shape - Motor Trend

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In general I like the show.

I was, however, disappointed to hear the 'simple physics' theory that heavier things fare better in a collision than light things. Here is a thought experiment. Drop a cannonball from a high place. Which will suffer the most damage in the collision, the (relatively) small, light cannonball, or the HUGE, HEAVY Earth?

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can't argue with you there, Corwyn. A smart car made of lead accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 would do considerate damage to an SUV made of balsa wood.

;)

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Corwyn, did you read the report from the national highway safety institute? It explains the idea in much better detail. Our simple blanket statement assumed the heavier and larger vehicle also had modern safety equipment. :)