1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok I think I am going to do it... Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by ljbad4life, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, after much thought I think I am going to go for a Tesla Model S... well put down a reservation...

I was having that range anxiety everyone seems to have with EV's. I worked out some numbers and they look good... even great in comparison to what I was looking at (a Lexus GS 450h).

The GS 450h gets about 25mpg (on premium) while the Model S uses electricity (which isn't a problem for me since I am building my own house). Here it's like .04 cents per Kwh so a 220 mile drive is like $4.75 for the drive (i'm using the roadsters 32wh per mile figure, correct me if I'm wrong) that same drive will cost me $23. That's a huge difference.

The furthest I typically drive is boston to NYC (220 miles) in one shot. I would have to get a Model S with the extended battery which I estimate at being 10k more. The Base Model S is looking to be about 57k before the tax credit which is the same price as a GS 450h base. The loaded GS is 61k, so everything is still close price wise. If I have to drive further I will have a prius available.

The Model S has a larger interior and much better trunk ( i have my ikea crazy time every once in a while) I am certainly not looking to carry big things, but it would be nice to bring home a small bookcase or take out one of my pieces of art.

I think I am making the right choice money wise and car wise. I watched alot of videos. what are your opinions?

2. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm envious. I love the looks and features on the S Coupe.

3. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you think that is alot, I actually contemplated buying a Fisker Karma, but I decided against it. 87k is pretty pricey and it was only a four seater with the battery pack running up the middle of the car. which i didn't like. It's almost like there are four different compartments in the car (the "lump is that high).

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm envious:)
    With the experience they already have with the Roadster I feel the Model S will be one of the best EVs available for a number of years.
    I am currently planning to get one myself, although I am waiting until they actually have them in production (which means I will likely be waiting for a bit, hopefully no more than a year or year and a half).
    I also LOVE the fact they are making it compatible on, but not dependant upon the 'better place' method of swapping batteries.
    This adds the flexibility of using it IF Better Place succeeds.

5. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think the battery swapping is necessary if the "gas" stations have the quick charge which only takes 45 minutes for a full charge. after 3/hrs worth of driving most people stop anyway. I personally are not going to give up my battery pack for some battery pack of unknown quality.... if worse came to worse I would rig a portable generator that you tow in a tiny trailer.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm R77 on the model S list...welcome to the Kool-Aid clan!

7. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    when is your delivery estimated? I am getting a lead time of about Q2 2012. Hopefully the production will ramp up. I am going to take another visit to the NYC "dealership" next weekend :D.

What made you choose a model S? what did you compare it to?

8. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    which do you think is going into production first, the Volt or the S?

I like the gas-powered generator implementation of the Volt to extend range... I'm getting more and more impressed with what I'm hearing. And it would be more in my price range :)

9. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At this point I would say the volt and the S are neck and neck. Tesla just signed the deal for a new factory in Downey, CA. I do like a bit from both models. The range extender of the Volt adds that level of range anxiety security that the S can't give.

I am still cautious of GM and if they are over promising like they have done so many times before. I like the extra room that the S will provide and I don't take extremely long road trips. I hope both accomplish what they set out to do...

10. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think that's a great car. It's also on my radar but I want to wait until the first models come out and we find out a little regarding reliability, etc.... I think the upgraded battery will give more than enough distance for 99% of my driving needs. And like you said, when I need to go farther I can just use the Prius.
    Good luck and keep us updated.

11. 2010PriusV

2010PriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you are making a great decision. From what I have read this car is the best all around deal if you want to go electric.

12. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too, think Tesla Motors has come out with an exceptional car.

I would hope that some company like GM or FORD would be thrilled to get there competition up to speed, based on their marketing.

I too wish the Price point was lower, but this can only be a good thing in the long range plans for car manufacturers.

I am confident Toyota as well, will come out with something similar in the next couple years....

It's going to be a very changing market and one that gives us all hope and good things to come in the end....;)

13. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I resurected this old thread, put down my deposit today, delivery estimate is Spring of 2013, Evan, let us know how you like your Model S, I see you are active over on the Tesla forum as well

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations Mitch!
    I am looking forward to Evan's review as well:)

15. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Absolutely made the right choice.

I'd guess you'll have to line up so fast charging spot between Boston and NYC, hot days, cold day with lots of slow traffic and AC or heat going, I'd want a spot midway I could get a quick 100 mile/EV charge. Plus when you arrive NYC, some place to reliably get a full charge in the time you are in town. Tesla dealer should have a charge and shuttle service for out of town Tesla's.

You definitely doing the right thing, no oil, no pollution, supporting the technology, buying US.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the koolaid drinkers Mitch!
    I think you'll find me hard to shut up once my S arrives.

iPad ? HD

Zythryn and austingreen like this.
  17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And rightfully so.:)

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle: