1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok Now Would you Buy a Prime? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by inferno, Oct 26, 2016.

?
  1. No ... need 5 seats.

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. I'll wait until the Solar Option comes out.

8 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Need a spare tire.

9 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. The trunk space is too little (cargo space decreased by 2")

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  5. I wouldn't buy anyway.

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Heck yeah, I would buy!

48 vote(s)
    53.9%
  7. Not enough EV range still...

17 vote(s)
    19.1%
  8. Don't care

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I highly recommend you don't drive a G4.

I was going to buy a 2012-2015 because they messed up the G4 interior so badly. So, I went searching, found a few, drove a few and so forth. Then I drove my 2004, a 2015 and a 2016 back-to-back-to-back. The 2015 was pretty much indistinguishable from my 2004. Same performance, same noise, same handling, same everything. The 2016 was soooooooo much better in every way that I never again considered a G3 even for a second. Now, the interior is still screwed up on the G4 but the Prime is, for me, a little bit better (at least from the pictures - I haven't seen one in person yet) so I'll work around the screwed up interior, and the exterior doesn't mean anything to me.

mmmodem and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What does "messed up" and "screwed up" mean? The absence of any detail leaves us wondering.

It's like saying "ugly" but not explaining why.

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Bolt it to the rear lift glass like a Jeep

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'd put he spare tire in the 5th seat.

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wouldn't want a spare even if it were offered, and the trend will be for all vehicles to loose the spare because it's extra weight, cost, and reduces interior volume.

Out of dozens of flats, the only time I have needed a spare tire is when I was a senior in high school and went into a 90 degree corner on a gravel road at 55 MPH. I flew off the road, landed sideways in a farm field, and rolled the VW bug. The rear tire lost the bead and grass was shoved into it. Even then I might have been able to clear the grass and reinflate the tire.

All of my other flats have been punctures that could have been repaired in 5 minutes with a plug kit and an inflator. It's faster to repair a puncture than to change tires.

The only time I would want a spare tire is if I was traveling on a desolate road many miles from civilization and cell service where the consequence for a breakdown might be death. That, or if I'm involved in some sort of race.

6. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    "Cargo space decreased by 2" "

Is this a typo?

According to the post below from another thread, the reduction is much more than that. 7.48. Inches compared with what U.S. folk call the lift back, Gen4.

Sorry the quote formatting is messed up!

[quote uid=17892 name="wjtracy" post=2432341]I did not know there was a German version of Prius Chat.<br />If the IONIQ is the hybrid version the smaller batt make sense.<br />If it's the PHEV version looks like they have Prime "over a barrel" (more space).[/QUOTE]<br /><br />civicdriver06 made reference to this post in the Priusfreunde.de forum. It is the most active German language forum on Toyota and Lexus Hybrid models, also providing discussions and information on other "clean" propulsion cars.<br /><br />In the mean time, I got precise information on the dimensions of the luggage compartment of the Prius Prime/PHV, compared to the 2 and 4 Gen Prius, and the soon to be available Ioniq Plug-in <b>(measures are given in this order)</b>. I consider the latter as the closest competitor of the Prius Prime/PHV, at least in Europe, where the Volt will not be made available as for now.<br /><br />Depth and width are comparable. Each Prius offers some more width in the rear part.<br />The heights <b>under the tonneau cover </b>show considerable differences. This is what Europeans consider as the real usable volume. We do not like it when others can see things we transport, nor do we want to expose them to direct sunlight.<br /><br /><b><font color="#0000ff">In Inch (cm): Prime/PHV: 9.45 (24); 2 Gen Prius: 13.78 (35); 4 Gen Prius: 16.93 (43); Ioniq Plug-in: 13 (33).</font></b><br /><br />The Prime/PHV booth is clearly truncated. The Ioniq Plug-in is not much larger overall, being somewhat smaller than the 2 Gen Prius. Its height, however, is more usable. The 4 Gen Prius is excellent.<br /><br />Pizzabad made this picture of the Prime/PHV trunk with a 20 Inch (50.8 cm) high backpack.<br /><br />[​IMG]<br /><br />So, I see now three major drawbacks for the Prime/PHV: The truncated luggage space, only 4 seats, and something I learned this weekend by talking to a Toyota Germany spokesman: <b><font color="#0000ff">there will be no towing hitch, not even not even one for a bike rack</font></b>. Again a question of weight...<br /><br />Will these impact the sales of the Prime/PHV, which is technically speaking the best ever Prius? The next year or so will tell...<br /><br />Jan

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The question is,has the 50.8 cm been measured with or without the handle ?
    If measured without handle,there's about 8 maybe 9 cm left to top of the trunk opening .
    In gen 3. there is about 65 cm between cargo floor and the top of the trunk opening.
    if the back pack has been measured with the handle,that would mean the space between cargo floor and top of trunk opening has decreased over 15 cm and that at the same time would mean that the cargo floor must have been lifted more 15 cm in comparison to the gen 3. cargo floor,but that is definitely not the case !
    Cargo floor in the Prime seems to be up "only" about 6 maybe 7 cm in comparison withe the Prius plug-in first gen !
    What is going on here ?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's multiple point of references when quoting the loss in the height, it seems.

The 7 cm rise is compared to a flat floor (What we measured in NY). Since there is no Gen 4 with a flat floor, with a spare tire, the rise in the floor is 9.5 cm (The floor of a Gen 4 w/ spare tire is 25mm lower than the lip of the cargo opening). Compared to a Gen 4 without a spare tire, that difference is even greater.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lower, much lower, or much higher. What was wrong with level, lol.

10. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes I know, but Toyota Germany said that the cargo floor has been raised 16 cm in comparison to liftback gen 4,meaning the liftback with no spare tire !
    This is the only version we get in Germany .
    From cargo floor (model with no spare ) to cargo cover there is about 43 cm,so if Toyota says the cargo floor has been lifted by 16 cm,then there should be 27 cm to cargo cover and not just 24 !
    It would be 24 cm if cargo floor would have been lifted 19 cm !
    Just doesn't add up !

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What I meant was:
    1. No dual glove box
    2. Small glove box
    3. No driver-accessible place for small things G2 had the cubby under the radio, G3 had the tray under the bridge). No, the Qi spot doesn't count.
    4. No underfloor storage in the cargo area
    5. No left or right storage wings in the cargo area
    6. Intrusion of the battery into the cargo area

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure what the difference is between 1 and 2, but there is a storage area added between the rear seats (which I'll find especially handy).

Underfloor storage (4) is a bit misleading, since that is still available in vertical format rather than horizontal.

Weren't storage wings (5) available? In fact, I thought the moving of the 12-volt actually added one.

Intrusion (6) is a mix. It doesn't interfere at all with the cargo-carrying strength Prius always offered, the ability to carry long & wide items. It does reduce height. But so far, I haven't seen that as an issue. My backpack and bags are that tall anyway.

As for carrying small things (3), do we have any idea of impact? For me, the cubby was where I put my phone. Now, I'll be able to place it on a charger directly, rather than reaching around and having to plug it in.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh I see. I'm not sure. As we saw in the other photo with a carry-on luggage, it looks like 24 cm but it's hard to see the 3 cm difference in a photo.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The lower gloveboxes in the Gen 2 and 3 are larger than in the Gen 4. And don't forget, that the Gen 2 had a nifty slot in the lower glovebox for the owner's manual, keeping it separate from the rest of the items. It also had a shelf in the upper glovebox that was removed for Gen 3.

The side bins in the Prime is much smaller than the side bins in the Gen 2/3. In the Gen 2/3, the side boxes are deeper, if oddly shaped and connect to the main bin. In the Prime, the side box is shallow, enough for a collapsible umbrella or something of similar size.

As for #3, here's how I adapted so far:

Gen 2: Kept the tissue box in the hidden drawer, CDs in the dashboard drawer and centre console box. Phone chargers in the centre console box

Gen 3: Larger tissue box fit in the shelf under the flying bridge along with sunglasses or gloves (depending on season). CDs used to live in the centre console box (got rid of them last year) along with phone chargers and emergency multi-tool.

With the Prime, I'm guessing I'll move the tissue box into the centre console (but different size than Gen 3). No CDs to worry about so there's more space in the console box for other items. Stuff in the upper glovebox... well I guess I could move it into the centre console. I'm also considering leaving the owner's/navigation manuals at home. I keep a copy of the Gen 3 in iBooks on my phone. No reason why I can't do the same with the Prime. That'll free up space in the glovebox.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use to think the same way but after a couple of years driving w/o a spare I'm soooooo glad I eventually changed my mind. This spring I had a 1 inch long tear on the inside wall (probably from a pothole according to tire shop) that no amount of goop/patches was going to fix. So? Quickly found out that no one in town or even in the local area had a matching tire. Because of shipping errors and no weekend delivery, it took 8 days to arrive. Glad I had a cheap, used spare (Ford Focus) to get me through.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm more concerned about the height from the top of the hatch deck to the inside of the glass, compared to gen 3. that's more relevant to me than gen 4, because i won't be choosing between the two. it's either primetime, or move on.

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The new glove box is not only a single, but also a tiny one. The extra console in the back seat of the Prime is an improvement over G4.

There's no underfloor storage in the G4. There is a little vertical slot in the back of the Prime which is better than nothing but not as good as the big tray in G2 and G3.

As for carrying small things, I keep my badge, my parking pass, and a small box of tissue in my 2004's cubby below the radio. This stuff will just float around in the little Qi bathtub. Qi is useless to me for that reason, because my phone doesn't support it, because it's slow and because I often need two chargers at once anyway.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, that area should have been much deeper. hopefully, there will be an aftermarket box.

19. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I can't answer that OP question until I sit in one, drive it, and check out the utility of the cargo area in person.
    If the higher cargo floor means that I can't see out the back anymore when I load the car up, then that might be ok as opposed to if I can't get all my stuff into the back like I used to.

20. Darkneece

Darkneece New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm hesitating if I should trade my Gen 4 Three+AT for Prime. The HUD is the most thing I like but I don't want to by Advanced trim.