1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok, so I may have buggered things up slightly - trouble code help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PLB-389, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is definitely a stumper!

Oc course there is no offense intended, but after years of reverse-engineering and troubleshooting experience, I've found that most problems like this turn out to be human-induced.

Your theory of the miswired MG leads is an unlikely cause, but if could be something as trivial. Maybe even a connector you forgot to reconnect or a broken wire somewhere.

I'll do what I can from here to help, as I'm very curious as to the outcome! Of course, If you happen to have any extra budget for an airline ticket, I'd love to fly down and assist in person. =) It's been a few years since I've been down-under, I miss it!

2. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    haha, I have no doubt its human-induced (ie, me-induced) either, and am just as sure it's something simple that I've either done wrong or forgotten to redo. If I had the budget for an airline ticket I'd jump at the chance to have another Prius nut to talk to! I can't seem to find anyone in Sydney who's taken one of these things to bits and knows it inside out...

I've attached the .tse file to this post, but I've renamed it as .zip so the forum software accepts it. Just rename it back to .tse before you open it.

Attached Files:

3. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh and in that snapshot I think it says battery SOC is about 13%. It needs another charge - the inverter coolant pump kills it pretty quickly I think. The low SOC doesn't change the behaviour of the car while it's in park at all; it acts the same whether the battery SOC is 13% or 36%. As soon as I put it in drive though I get the same DTC's I reported in my first post on this thread, which (to me) indicates those DTC's are directly related to low SOC.

The other weird thing is that when the car's in park I can hear a periodic sound that sounds like the backlash in the gearing being taken up by one of the motors trying to spin, giving up, and then retrying a short time later.

BTW - for reference I had a quick look in the battery ECU, cell voltages were around 14.4 and internal resistance was bang on 0.019 ohms for every cell.

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

Yes.

It's possible. Remove the inverter and inspect MG1 motor cable.

5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you'd swapped two cables around, 3 Phase alternating current Motor Troubleshooting « Ignorance is Bliss suggests that the motor would run backwards. That's not good for the engine, it's supposed to rotate in one direction only.

The peculiar feeling you're getting when driving electrically could be the HV ECU trying to drive MG1 to balance the torque from MG2, and failing.

I don't think it would matter if the phases were rotated from where they should be (e.g. U->V, V->W, W->U), except that the controller might be confused by the signals from the resolver.

If you're in any doubt, I'd check that the connections are definitely wired up correctly.

6. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at the TechStream data and strongly suspect low traction battery. If the battery sags too much it will not start! In addition to a reported SOC of less than 15%, see a 20 volt sag @ 10A! I think you need to perform an instrumented charge so you can verify there is enough AH in the pack so it will be able to crank. When I was testing, I found the car could still move (very weakly) and not have enough energy to get the ICE up to firing speed.

This may be the periodic sound you are hearing, it's trying to crank but there is too much sag.

Your data shows that the SMR's didn't even close until you were 32 seconds into the log. It also shows 10A of current at close, which I assume is mainly the DC/DC because your 12v battery is also low.

You can safely charge the traction pack at 200ma or less indefinitely as long as it's in a cool area. Try this: put a charger on the 12v battery that can put out at least 10A @ 14v and jumper the battery fan on high (ground pin 10-brown and pin 24-yellow on the Battery ECU connector). Perform your normal charge regimen, then move the lab supply to at least 250 volts but set it to current limit to 200ma or less. Then leave it for a few days. This will fully charge the pack and also top-balance it.

Then do another techstream log, and we will at least have interesting data!

The traction pack should be fully charged by then as well as the 12v battery, so we shouldn't see but a few amps on SMR close. (make sure the AC is off!)

1 person likes this.
  7. jk450

jk450 New Member

That info refers to a much simpler motor. Prius motors won't run backwards if two cables are reversed.

That's why it matters.

8. jk450

jk450 New Member

If the battery pack is too weak to rotate the motor, I doubt the system will keep trying.

9. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok well I figured pEEf is absolutely right, it can't hurt to give the traction battery a good long charge, so it's been going all day and I'm going to charge it at 0.2A continuously over the weekend and re-install it Monday. The 12V battery is on a Ctek smart charger happily trickle-charging away until the same day

In the meantime - Mike, jk or anyone else...does anyone have a Prius transaxle lying around that you'd be so kind as to take a photo of, having removed the orange plastic sheathing on the MG cables to show the order of the phases as they sit in the plugs, and as they go into the transaxle casing? It'd save me a helluva lot of time trying to explain to a wrecker's yard why I want to just look at their $3000 transaxle and not actually buy it.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi PLB-389. If you've gt a HV adjustable power supply set it up for 237 volts and place 50ohm resistor (>20W) in series. It will give a nice slow charge over about 24 hours but it will be safe to leave it longer than 24 hours if desired.

1 person likes this.
  11. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From memory; is seemed to me that the 3 MG leads were already held in their relative positions, so that assembly would be obvious. But I may be wrong. Next time I am @ Luscious Garage I will look at one.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you buggered things up majorly...you past "slightly" 25 posts ago....

13. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    uart - the HV supply is set to 244V @ no load and has been going at 0.2 amps (current limited) overnight - I intend to leave it going till Monday morning, though at the moment battery terminal voltage is 239ish.

pEEf - the MG wires are normally held in their relative positions by the orange connector on the inverter end, but I dismantled the connectors completely to slip the current transducers on to the conductors. I might have re-assembled them in the wrong order, as there's no way to tell short of marking them well (I marked them...but not well).

Electric me...no, I don't bugger things up majorly. I just have lots of very related minor setbacks :D

14. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So do you have the battery fan running also? (I described how to enable it)

15. jk450

jk450 New Member

You don't need a picture. Just make sure that the cable in the middle on one end is the cable in the middle on the other end. If you've done this, and the problem remains, just swap the two outermost cables at one end. If this doesn't do it, your problem lies elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  16. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't think this is necessary at 0.2A. There's max 50W heat to dissipate across 75 lbs of a battery rated for 100A. At most, the temperature would go up over ambient by a few degrees C (or F for that matter). Am I missing something?

If you are at 239V, as told by scan tool, then the engine should start.

The MG leads should be marked U, V, W. At the very least, V should be in the middle. Aren't the connections at MG1 and the inverter marked U, V, W? If V is in the middle, then you have 50% chance of getting it right. It is hard to imagine getting U and W reversed, from how stiff those cables are. But, it is possible that, by spinning the motor backwards, a no-start DTC is not set. Now that would be interesting.

1 person likes this.
  17. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Running the fan is just a precaution. I wouldn't want any venting. He is in Australia, so I have no idea what the ambient temp the battery is in.

Keep in mind, if the motor leads are not hooked up properly, the motor will not commutate, and thus will not rotate at all. This is because the resolvers will be out of phase (and/or direction) with the actual windings. I would think this would immediately set a DTC though.

18. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Attached a picture showing my battery charging "station" (read: bit of lab bench that I cleared crap off). The white box on the left hand side of the battery is a fan (in lieu of the in-car fan), and the lab is air conditioned. I realise not a whole lot of airflow goes through the internal battery ductwork in this configuration, but even the farthest cells only get a couple of degrees above ambient anyway, so surface convection is doing its thing. I'm just reading terminal voltage using a multimeter.

I'll try the cable swapping thing as well and let you know how it goes, shouldn't take too long. That said, it's Friday night, again, and there's no way that's going to happen before I go home.

Attached Files:

19. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your charging setup looks good. It reminds me that I need to put my HV charger together :)

I do not advocate swapping MG leads around; rather, verify that you at least have the middle "V" cable done right. If so, then put your fully charged battery back in the car and see what happens. I assume that you have the battery installed in its normal position when you are troubleshooting? There is an "Earth bolt" (illustrated in the dismantling guide and repair manual), I think it is used by the battery ECU to make sure that the pack is properly insulated from the frame. I'll take a look when I'm at the shop later today.

20. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well...I have a new TopPrius top tip to add to the collection: If you wire up MG1's phases the wrong way, not only will you get no engine start, you'll also get no DTC's thrown, and (kind of jerky) electric only running.

After I reinstalled the freshly charged traction battery and 12V auxillary, only to find I had exactly the same symptoms, I decided to throw caution into the wind and swap U and W phases on the MG1 power cable. Five minutes later, the engine fired into life for the first time in over six months!!

What a bloody relief. I'm kinda annoyed it took me a month to find something so stupid, but at least it's some new information for us. Not that many of us will ever go pulling apart the power cables on the transmission.

Thanks to all who contributed, without you all I'm sure I'd still be troubleshooting the bloody thing, and might've wasted a few thousand on a new traction pack or transaxle by now too! (Though the transaxle would've fixed it admittedly...but is probably the costliest way to get there)

Now...to start reconnecting my apparatus. Watch this space for more problems :D

3 people like this.