1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok, so I may have buggered things up slightly - trouble code help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PLB-389, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Congrats! By the way I usually mark with Sharpie or take digital photos before disconnecting or disassembling things so I will have a better chance of putting them back together correctly. Hope this helps. :)

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wooooohoooo!!!!

Sir, you are a brave soul. This has been a great story.

3. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome news, glad to hear it was really that simple!

4. PLB-389

PLB-389 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys! As promised however - here's another little doozy to ponder:

Part of my project involves monitoring the phase voltages of MG1 and MG2 (which I need to sample at around 20Hz). The sample rate precludes the use of any CAN-based signals (I don't even think phase voltages are reported over the CAN bus), so I made a power monitor circuit that's mounted in-cabin and should (in theory) be completely isolated from chassis earth. Unfortunately for me though, somehow one of my boards seems coupled to earth (the other one is fine - they're electrically identical, but differ slightly in manufacturing, which leads me to think it might be a capacitive coupling between two tracks). As soon as I connect phases to the faulty board I get P0AA6/526 - Hybrid vehicle battery isolation fault.

Does anyone know what the trigger mechanism for this DTC is? I would think it's looking for the high voltage carrier wave on the chassis earth, rather than any actual voltage spike. I can't seem to find info on this DTC in the workshop manual, and without the DTC trigger mechanism fault finding is a little harder.

And can anyone think of any sneakier way of measuring phase voltages than just taking a line out and chucking it through a voltage divider? I haven't heard of a contactless way of measuring voltage...but if anyone else has I'd love to know about it!

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes there are lots of way's of implementing isolated monitoring (isolation amplifiers for example). You never really get complete isolation as you can never completely get rid of capacitive coupling, but you can reduce it to a very small level.

I can give you lots more info but I need to understand a little more of what you're trying to do first. You say you're sampling at 20Hz but the AC phase voltages will have fundamental frequencies greater than 10Hz and switching components very much greater (these are causing you capacitive coupling btw).

What exactly are you trying to measure, the time domain phase voltage or just it's RMS level for example. What analog pre-processing (filtering etc) are you doing before sampling?

6. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0AA6/526 - Hybrid vehicle battery isolation fault. does not exist in the Australian repair manual, i think you have a case of techstream disease lol.(techstream will read dtc only in the way its programed, eg. your AU spec HC ECU says 10101000101 to the techstream software and it determines P0AA6, if you applied IT2 to the vehicle and tell it 10101000101 you may get P3009) I think what your looking for is: P3009/526 high voltage power short circuit does exist. this code is triggered due to insulation breakdown to less than 10Mohms anywhere in the hv system. Info code is a blanket code other inf codes can isolate the fault further
    are there any other info codes logged in the freeze frame data?

However,I do think its a faulty test board as you suggest.

7. jk450

jk450 New Member

Think about the function of MG1, and the effect of swapped cables. Your symptoms—no engine start, jerky electric operation—were consistent with what could be expected from reversed phase currents.

A new transaxle would not have fixed the problem, as the MG1 cable assembly is not included with the transaxle, but is a separate part. Congratulations on getting your vehicle running again.

8. jk450

jk450 New Member

They are the same code.