1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok to call multiple dealers in my area to pre-order car of my dreams?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by winebuff, May 3, 2009.

1. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    Is it ok or is it bad karma to call and email multiple dealers in my area telling them the exact car I am wanting to buy when they arrive?
    I want a package 4 in blue metallic, dark grey leather interior with sunroof.
    I sold my 07 Prius in 2 days on craigslist and now have my hubby's car until my new car arrives. Luckily I live in Portland ( hehe, sorry, but happy). I NEED the car now! All I do is think about getting a Prius back. On the lighter side, I am driving my hubby's Toyota Corolla so I havent jumped ship entirely but TOTALLY miss the best car in the world:mad:.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing is bad karma when your dealing with car sales people. Lower forms of life than politicians so don't sweat over it. Remember no non refundable deposits, ever!

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would not even bother to call them. Just e-mail several dealerships with your specifications. Those e-mails always go directly to the internet sales manager, who usually has a lot more latitude and independence than the average car salesman. Some of them will call you back, if you want to include your phone number, or you can leave that out and only call them if they make you a written offer. The ones that are serious about selling you a car will give you some sort of written indication of what they are willing to sell it for. You need to be quite specific about what you want to buy, including any options and accessories. I always include the known info re invoice, destination charges, and MRSP. CR and other car sites always say to negotiate up from invoice, rather than down from MRSP. I've gotten 3 or 4 cars this way, never from the same dealer. Don't tell them you are in a hurry, but in this case, you really have little negotiating leverage if you are not willing to wait for inventory buildups. I paid MRSP for my HyCam under similar circumstances. The process simply weeded out the dealers who were insisting on trying to do BS addons, or sell for more than MRSP. It also found me a dealer who had an early allocation car available and was willing to trade around to get me the right color etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. winebuff

Model:
    IV
    Perfect, I did just what you guys said. I emailed with no phone number attached. Told them I was ready to buy this specific car, color, package etc and would buy that day at msrp if they had it come in. Told them to email me and I would get it on my blackberry then come down. I told them I was knew what msrp was and when they should arrive so I dont look like I am uninformed. Got a couple responses so will wait and see who wants to take my money first. Am not doing the extras or extended warranty . On my 07, the display went out after the warranty was up and Toyota was nice enough to replace it free of charge. Thats why I will never buy another type of car

5. winebuff

Model:
    IV
    One dealer said he needed a $100 refundable deposit and I told him no. Said when you have the car, I will buy it. Dont need to put any money down and then have someone else get the car then try to hunt down my deposit. If they want to sell the car, they will sell it. First come, first serve. Need it quickly because I sold my 07 Prius a couple weeks ago on craigslist in 2 days, yay.

6. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On behalf of the good dealers/car sales people including several very helpul ones who post here --- your post sounds like an example of self-fulfilling prophesy?

7. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need it right away but you can't put down $100? So you're OK knowing that someone who comes in after you and puts down $100 will probably get the car you wanted. We get what we deserve...

8. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Agreed. There are some bad sales people but many bad politicians. I find that the internet sales people tend to cut through the BS because they know that you are a well informed potential buyer.

Roy

9. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have bought all my cars beginning with an internet quote since 1998. In the end, I have had nothing but good experiences every time, and I'd be willing to bet I've reached a lower final cost than average. I don't mind if they call or e:mail me, since I actually want a car. And when I'm confronted with a hard-sell/stall tactic sales rep/dealer who doesn't want to negotiate (and it's happened), I just walk away - it's pretty simple. I would go back to the sales reps I have dealt with in the past...

10. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I thought I would share my experience shopping for a car with my young adult daughter in Portland. She wanted a Honda Civic. She clicked on the get quotes link on one of the car buying sites and got back several quotes. There was a Honda dealer near her house. We hadn't gotten a quote from them but decided to stop by any way. They were horrible, making a ridiculous offer then expecting us to bargain down from that. We left, went to a dealer that had e-mailed a quote, in Vancouver, WA, bought at near invoice in a few minutes. When we got back to my daughters place, she had gotten an e-mail from the first dealer's internet department, sent before our bad negotiating session, with an offer similar to the one we ended up getting.

I'm not sure I would have told them I was willing to buy at invoice, but no biggie.

By the way, my daughter got married at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. I wish I would have had a Prius then, Lot's of regenerative breaking on the way down!

Roy

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not sure I would have immediately volunteered to pay MRSP!:D In any case, good luck! If you can get a dealer to identify a specific car (with VIN#) that has been allocated to them, or that they can trade another dealer for, don't be afraid to make a deal and give them a deposit. You don't have to wait for it to show up on their lot. They know weeks or days in advance what has been allocated to them and what other cars are available or are going to become available in their region. Make sure you have a termination right if they don't deliver that specific car by a specific date.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nah, do what you gotta do. They didn't do much dealing on my 06' Prius when I got it no matter where you went so I didn't bother but when I bought all my other previous cars I went to all different dealers before i went to the one I really knew I wanted to buy from. 'd get a business card from each one. Then I'd goto the dealer I knew I wanted to get it from and show the guy look, I've been to all these dealers and know what they are willing to give me the car I want for as well as my trade. So what is your price going to be? Guess what, I always got the car for the price i wanted w/o having to overly try...

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A refundable deposit is entirely reasonable, and $100 is pretty small. Don't let that stop you from dealing with someone who may have the best out-the-door price.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1--if they give you a fair quote, it's well worth it. Basically it's just a way for them to know you're serious so they don't waste their time calling back a bunch of people who found cars elsewhere then never bothered to call back and let the other places know since they had no incentive to do so.

To that end, even a $500 deposit at a place you're serious about is reasonable, but I wouldn't leave any more than that.

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed. It's usually just in the form of a check that never gets cashed anyway.

16. winebuff

Model:
    IV
    Brutal midpack. I am sure you have NEVER lied to a customer to get the sale. RIGHT!

17. winebuff

Model:
    IV
    All I know is that I know the car I want and the first person that has it on their lot, I will go down and buy at msrp which I believe is fair in this frenzy. Thx for all your help!

18. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The smartest thing you could do is to dream-on a few months longer and wait until the feeding frenzy is over at your Toyota dealer.

Keith

19. winebuff

Model:
    IV
    Nope, need the car yesterday. My 07 sold in 2 days so driving my husband's car. Luckilly I live in Portland. May have to become a pirate :)

20. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Speaks for itself...