1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok Toyota, How about Some (good) Plug-In Prius PHEV News?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by joe1347, Apr 3, 2010.

1. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's now been almost four months since Toyota mentioned that the Plug-In Prius PHEV will be available to purchase in 2011 and I don't believe that Toyota has released any additional details. Granted, Toyota has been a little 'distracted' recently. But a couple of auto shows have now come and gone and I don't think that there's been any more said about the PHEV Prius since the 'detailed' December press release from Toyota. Obviously, Toyota's green car competitors have been getting most of the (positive) press attention lately while we all know what kind of press attention the Prius has been getting. How about some positive and exciting news (from Toyota) for a change instead of just hearing from the mainsteam media that we're all driving battery powered out of control deathtraps.

[​IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we're ALL ready to hear some details...I think they'll be forthcoming in the next couple of months. I have no specific knowledge to support that, but there are clues to suggest it'll be soon.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Who knows, maybe we'll see something in Geneva or Paris this year. I mean they're are testing in Japan, the US and Canada so maybe we'll get an update this summer after a few months?? I'm hoping for some more info too.

4. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe I'm off base, but it seems like there might be a surprisingly large positive response to plug-in Prius news from the public and possibly even the automotive press which might help turn things around from Toyota.

For example, what if Toyota announced the plug-in Prius and figured out a way to start taking advance orders. Possibly, quite a few of us wouldn't hesitate (I wouldn't) to order a PHEV Prius and that would create some favorable buzz in the mainstream media (for Toyota).

5. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Soon, my friend, soon.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But that's not soon enough. :)

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Eventually, you do get use to the wait.

The reason is simple, it's totally worth it.

Each of mine have been quite rewarding, the upgrades were all very nice. With the next being a plug, I can handle the slow passage of time. Most people complain about the years just racing by. Try waiting for the next model of Prius!

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, "soon" but you've now lost the "edge" Nissan has taken the wind from your sails, and you are adrift... sorry to say, I will not be waiting for a 12-13 mile PHEV, probably going to trade in the old 2010 Prius for the Leaf and jump ship. so sad, 3 Priu and 10 years :(

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember a year or so ago when they lost the "edge" to Honda when they announce the Insight...then Toyota totally cut their legs out from under them? I have faith that Toyota's gonna make things right on this.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Seriously?! You would trade in a 2010 for a Leaf? I would consider trading my '04 for a Leaf but I would never consider trading any car less than a year old for anything. In fact, now that I suspect a PHV on the horizon, I have more reason to keep my '04.

While I applaud Nissan for the Leaf (I really do, listen to What Drives Us), I also have concerns for the 100-mile drop-dead range. I realize that Toyota's talking about "only" 13 miles on EV but I can hit 70mpg with a battery that's "only" capable of providing about a half-mile of EV. I drool at the opportunity to try on a PHV.

No matter what Toyota delivers in a PHV, as long as it's in the same time frame as the Volt, we'll "let the best car win." Because if you forget to plug in the Volt, you have a generator that will constantly run. If you forget to plug in a Pi-Prius, you still have a Prius.

11. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if you forget to fill up with gas you have a dead car. Same as if you forget to plug in an electric car.

Only real advantage to gas is you can get a gallon of gas and get to the gas station. With an EV you cant get a gallon of electrons.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The advantage I see is Toyota being able to offer a plug option at an affordable price in extremely high volume.

Price & Quantity are big challenges.