1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Old SKS fob buttons don't work. Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MiketyMikeMike, Sep 12, 2020.

1. MiketyMikeMike

MiketyMikeMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My daughter dropped her SKS key fob in water. Since then the buttons and SKS features don't work, but it does allow the car to be started by inserting the key fob in the slot. I purchased a new key fob and have tried to do the chicken dance, but a step in the chicken dance is pressing both the lock and unlock keys at the same time, and... those buttons don't work.

Am I completely screwed? Do I have no choice but to pay Toyota to program the SKS features for this key? Would they even do it since it's not an OEM key?

Did I just waste $130?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They are pretty simple. If you haven't already wrecked it by using it wet, remove the battery and seal it in a bag or sealable bowl of uncooked rice for about 24 hours. Then try again.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Have you checked the voltage on the FOB battery?

You might also check the SKS button under the steering wheel as well.

Try taking the old FOB apart and cleaning it with 100% alcohol before drying it out again.

Which after market key did you purchase?

5. MiketyMikeMike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The old fob was dumped long enough ago that drying it out at this point is pointless. My daughter is at college so this was a while back.

I have replaced the battery in the old fob and it's fine. It's not a problem with that.

I don't have access to a windows computer.

I'm going to take this to an auto locksmith this week and see if he can get the FOB working.

6. MiketyMikeMike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The answer is "Yes". Yes, I am screwed. Took it to a local automotive locksmith and he tried two different approaches to try to get my keyfob's SKS functionality to work. Nothing worked. So now my only recourse is to go to Toyota and pay through the nose.

Lesson learned... Never have less than 2 working key fobs.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Would transferring the RFID chip in the original damaged FOB to the new FOB work? Also, are you 100% that the new FOB is A) an SKS fob and B) not counterfeit?

Yes, it can be a tough lesson.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. MiketyMikeMike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hadn't thought of transferring the RFID chip, and I'm not sure I want to try. I "believe" that it would probably be safe, but if anything happened as a result I'd be completely out of any ability to start the car. Besides, the issue (as I understand it) is getting the car to accept the signals being sent out by the key fob, and since this is active RFID that's governed by the circuitry in the fob -- not the RFID chip (at least, not by itself?).

As to whether it's counterfeit, I guess I wouldn't be able to tell. This is the one I got:
    . The reviews were as good as any other. I believe it is intended to be a replacement for the SKS keys (silver logo on back).

9. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was in a similar situation when I put my last working keyfob thru the washer and dryer. Luckily, I was able to dry it and ordered a new keyfob from Toyota which I was able to program it using chicken dance. I am afraid the old keyfob will stop working at some point from the water damage but I least now I have a working one.

The Techstream method to add a smart silver key-fob is using the signal from the existing smart key-fob at some point, so it will not work in your case.
    Smart key fob programming instructions for any Toyota, Lexus or Scion

There is another drastic method with Techstream to delete all keyfobs, get a seed number, then get a code from Toyota or an online Eastern Europe site and register smart keys again. Too scary for me and I imagine too expensive using a Toyota dealership. Maybe someone that has done the process can give some insight. Here is an example of the process:
    https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/114233/S-SB-0022-15
    I do not even think that the Techstream version people are using have that function active.

#9 Aegean, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  10. MiketyMikeMike

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet baby jesus... that is a 33 page document for programming a key fob with scary warnings about how badly things can go wrong. I wouldn't trust anyone with that. :)