1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Older safari no longer renders

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by bwilson4web, Sep 16, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is what renders:
    [​IMG]

Reported error:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    https:// (secure http) has been updated. You need to update your browser...

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you are referencing SSLv2, SSLv3, and TLS as the new, improved, wonderful encryption standard (until the next one.)
    It begs the question of why is https needed to access PriusChat?

I can understand going to the store when making a payment but otherwise, it is an unnecessary overhead.

Bob Wilson

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Bob -

I'm slowly moving the whole site over to HTTPS. There are many reasons for it, but, honestly, the biggest one is that Google now sees secure sites as part of the algorithm toward search ranking.

Mind me asking why you don't update Safari?

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I give my wife the new Macintosh and I take her old one. So I'm running her PowerPC with Mac OS 10.5.8 (the last one.)

I fully appreciate the business need and have several effective workarounds ("Hi Baby, Here is your new computer.") I was secretly pleased that the newer 'flash' would not run on my older browsers. <GRINS>

Keep on with your upgrades. I'll work on the browser solutions.

Bob Wilson

Something to test: TenFourFox: A fork of Mozilla Firefox ESR 38 for the Power Macintosh and Mac OS X Tiger PowerPC

Bob Wilson

Danny likes this.
  6. SteveChelt

SteveChelt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am getting exactly the same as the first image of this thread when using the latest version of Google Chrome on a PC. It was fine until yesterday but now I have to use Firefox to view Priuschat.

kindacahris likes this.
  7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just tried it on Windows 7, Chrome Version 45.0.2454.93 m, and all pages are rendering correctly.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Running xp with chrome browser, it's not working

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The good news is 'tenfourfox' browser works (and NO FLASH!!) It is a PowerPC split-off from Firefox (see below signature.) But I'd like to share some other observations about the Safari:
    • before rendering failed - occasional 'certificate failures' requiring 'approval' but other https web sites continued to work
    • banking web site continued to work
    I'm suggesting we may have to manually get the PriusChat certificate loaded into our broken browsers. The reason is I noticed the rendering failure occurs only the icon loads. It may be Safari (and other browsers) lack the ability to prompt for the certificate in some rendering phases versus the initial web site access.

If someone can post a URL to the new PriusChat certificate, I'll try to add it to the broken Safari. Perhaps just a simple test, https URL. Then I can test it easily. In the meanwhile, I'll see if I can find where 'tenfourfox' saves its certificates and somehow import into Safari's cache.

Bob Wilson

ps. Slow network link, at least it works:
    [​IMG]

#9 bwilson4web, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am posting using an iPhone because TenFourFox renders only ads. At work, the auto play, ads make both I.E. and Firefox run very slow.

[​IMG]
    I used Forums to call up a list of forums.

[​IMG]
    I briefly see this for about 5 seconds.

[​IMG]
    Then it erases the forums to show nothing but boundary ads.

When PriusChat becomes nothing but a slow, sales web page . . . I can find something else to do. Thumb typing is the pits.

Bob Wilson

#10 bwilson4web, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Maarten28 likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Win7 (currently not on the VPN) and FF 38.1.0.

ALL OK here.

I run into so many Safari SNAFUs, that frankly I don't know whether the problem lies with Apple, the morons in our IT department, or the moron at the keyboard------but I believe all was OK this afternoon.

[​IMG]

Really?
    No idea why some of the adds come up, but if I can ignore some of the people in this forum, then the adds are easily ignored as well. :)

***just jumped on the I-thingy***

Running 8.4 (12H143) whatever the heck that means.
    Our IT weenies won't allow us to "upgrade" until they bless the new release.
    I'm on the VPN, but that usually doesn't make Safari run any better or worse.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my modem went down, and when the comcast guy was here, he updated my wifi router. now, priuschat, which used to be quite fast, is painfully slow. 5-10 seconds to load a page. i'm running 2 year old safari and tried ad blocker, but that didn't help. i know little to nothing about computers.

13. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same: Firefox 40.0.3 on Windows 7. I only see the sidebar when I go to PriusChat but no overview of the forums like it used to be.

14. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Newest Chrome version in OSX no longer renders forums when clicking "Forums" at top of forums page. Individual forums do show. I used New Posts to get here but can't see the entire forums list.

Oh, and very oddly, my extremely ancient copy of Safari now can display all the forums! That's weird, because it couldn't about a month ago - one of the reasons I switched to Chrome.

#14 DavidA, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well this is interesting.

TenFourFox has a "View" pull-down menu option that I tried to find "View Source" only to find "Page Style" that has two opens: "No Style" and "Basic Page Style" which was selected. So I tried "No Style" and suddenly, I had this 'text' rendering with substantially lower CPU usage.

I was looking for 'View Source' to see if the source HTML might offer a clue. Then I started testing the other pull-down menus.

Under "Tools" -> "Web Developer" is as list of 14 options including "Page Source" I was looking for originally. This browser appears to have a lot of developer tools enabled providing more details.

Bob Wilson

My PowerPC version, Mac OS 10.5.8, and Safari 5.0.6 still does not render PriusChat, "Forum", BUT subforums render fine. It remains broken/incompatible. So I can see this sub-forum as before but the "Home" is broke.

I suspect the root cause is in some 'style' sheet.

Bob Wilson

ps. This is what it looks like with 'Style' disabled:
    [​IMG]

It appears the 'Style' problem is broken for the 'home' page. The subordinate forums are not broken, yet.

Pasting the TenFourFox, console log after trying to load and render PriusChat:

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://styles.priuschat.com/uix/uix/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.4.0. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing). <unknown>
    downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "FontAwesome" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:2): bad URI or cross-site access not allowed source: https://styles.priuschat.com/uix/uix/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.4.0 font-awesome.min.css:4:14
    Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://styles.priuschat.com/uix/uix/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.4.0. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing). <unknown>
    downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "FontAwesome" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:3): bad URI or cross-site access not allowed source: https://styles.priuschat.com/uix/uix/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.4.0 font-awesome.min.css:4:14
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] likebox.php
    XenForo.activate(%o) [object HTMLDocument] xenforo.js:169
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] kappa
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] async
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] kappa
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] async
    An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing script-0.7.html:36:0
    An unbalanced tree was written using document.write() causing data from the network to be reparsed. For more information https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Optimizing_Your_Pages_for_Speculative_Parsing if:1:0
    This site makes use of a SHA-1 Certificate; it's recommended you use certificates with signature algorithms that use hash functions stronger than SHA-1.[Learn More] ts
    HTTP "Content-Type" of "video/mp4" is not supported. Load of media resource https://video.sekindo.com/uploads/video/ending_a_relationship_mini.mp4 failed. if
    HTTP "Content-Type" of "video/mp4" is not supported. Load of media resource https://video.sekindo.com/uploads/video/ending_a_relationship_mini.mp4 failed. if
    . . .​

Hopefully this may give a clue. Other browsers may or may not have a console/debug option as extensive as TenFourFox.

Bob Wilson

Hummm, smoking gun:

[​IMG]

Perhaps "mojo" revenge?

Bob Wilson

16. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Using the latest Firefox 40 here and am unable to see anything but the side bar on the main page, which started yesterday.

17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Running Safari 7.1.8 under OSX 10.9.5, everything does well except Flash stopped working (which can be a blessing). It's been years since the industry was implored to get rid of Flash in favor of HTML5. Even Adobe stopped the Flash mobile development years ago.

So interesting you say that Bob. I have a 2004 iMax PPC upstairs in the original box. Recently, I took a 2000 iMac out of the garage, getting ready to recycle it. Booted up fine, just can't connect to any internet due to it lacking any and all of the latest security protocols. After working all year on W7 machines, plus the newer W10 anomalies in on a new network, I'm actually happy to go back to my 2008 Macbook at work. It's running W7 Pro using Parallels. I so hate dealing with computer issues.

I'll bet that PPC Mac is still worth some dollars, I know someone that wants mine for $400.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Back to working for me here. Although its been pretty screwed up since the software update last week. Pages load in 2-3 stages, taking a pretty long time to resolve. Much less functional than it was on the previous software.

19. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Back again. Whoever fixed this - thank you!

kindacahris likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    TenFourFox (PowerPC built Firefox) - now works, including home page.

I can survive, Thank You!

Old Safari - still broke.

Bob Wilson