1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On a related topic...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by geologyrox, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jul 25 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]292143[/snapback]</div>
    ...and that's TOTALLY fine with me.

...ask me how "bad" I might feel about that....

:D

;)

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 25 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]292139[/snapback]</div>
    Men were "made" to be the hunter/gatherers....why is it that so many women now have to work! :angry:

3. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 25 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]292150[/snapback]</div>
    'because so many want toys like a new Prius :angry:

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :blink: (i use this icon because there is no raised-eyebrow icon)

how about because some of us have brains we like to put to vigorous *use*?

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 25 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]292165[/snapback]</div>
    r u talking 'bout men or women?

:D

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 25 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]292105[/snapback]</div>
    um...and all those little squiddlies are still living happy, healthy lives, right? :p

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

You seem well prepared for life's uncertainties. Maybe the relationship won't last... hopefully you two will choose to fix it and stick it out if at all possible and it will last through some rocky time. Either of you could die and so you wouldn't want to leave your husband with a clip-job and a new wife.. understandable..

Those are life's uncertainties, and you're looking them head-on and preparing to deal with them if they happen.

If you get pregnant, you plan to have the child and raise it as a stay at home mom. You claim you will be a good mom, and I think you will based primarily on your predisposition to be a stay at home mom.. That's a tremendous gift to give to your child(ren). Kudo's to you for that. The margin of error on becomming pregnant is small, but existant... this is another uncertainty in life and it sounds like you have an awesome plan to deal with it if you do have a child.

I didn't see you cover the one possibility, if your husband died and you found a new husband. Perhaps you fall madly in love with a man who wants children with you in marriage. Something like that could begin to change a girl's perspective on the 'never' word. Maybe not... but, if so many other things about this new husband are so perfect, then either he's going to have to move toward not needing children with you, or you will begin to warm to the idea of intentional children with him.

Which leaves off with you already doing exactly what it takes these days to pretty much cover all the bases of uncertainty that comes with not knowing your entire future. I'm not sure why they won't do the operation, but my guess is that they've been sued enough times by people claiming how they were not 1000000% told how permanent this operation is... then some jury awarded way too much money to some idiot who changed their mind about this exact thing.

Kudo's to you for seemingly purposefully leaving abortion off the table as an option for you in the event of a pregnancy.

8. triphop

triphop New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 25 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]292223[/snapback]</div>
    What part about Mind Your Own Business escapes you? I fail to understand why a set of ancient writings from a iron age group of hunter-gathers have *any* influence on me at all.

9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 25 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]292105[/snapback]</div>
    So we are to understand that you do not masturbate or have sex outside of the institution of marriage, thereby squandering your precious seed and robbing potential life of it's existence. Fair enough. A man who practices what he preaches.

10. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 25 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]292105[/snapback]</div>
    every time you don't plant a seed in a garden you are robbing a life of it's existence.

11. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can fully appreciate your reasoning and your convictions for not bringing children into the world. I had many similar ones at your age. Now, nearing 48 with two children, I cannot imagine life without them. My wife (my 2nd), divorced at 25 when her husband wanted to have children - she didn't, at least, not with him. She never remarried or had kids of her own, she tells, me, because she hadn't met anyone with whom that future would be appealing. We have the kids half the time, I can honestly say that they are lucky to have her in their lives(ahem, as am I).
    The moral of that story is:
    1. Your perceptions and even your biological urges may not (in most realities, will not) remain constant as you grow (and the latent intelligence that springs from your writings tells me that you likely will have no problems in the growth area).
    2. Not everyone with a womb wants to or should use it, just as not every walking sperm delivery system wants to or should spread fertilizer.
    I totally understand the frustration you're experiencing from the resistance you're encountering. I'm divided on this one, I can see the physician's point of view, yet if you're old enough to be sent to war and be killed, perhaps your decisions about what you do with your body should be, well, yours.
    It's complex, to be sure.

12. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The reversal rate for vasectomy is approximately 50%.

But -- it should be thought of as completely irreversible. No one should have a vasectomy as an interim method, counting on that 50% chance of reversal. The odds go down in time, and it's much more complicated than just a coin flip.

The OB/GYN who recommended an IUD hit it on the head. It's good for five years, is totally reversible, and in seven years has approx 1.1% pregnancy rate. If you are conscientious about it you can do better than that rate (checking strings, etc).

You're not gonna find a surgeon willing to tie your tubes, at your age, and it's for the best. You have excellent means of contraception at your disposal and you do have a significant likelihood of changing your mind in the next ten years.

13. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jul 25 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]291978[/snapback]</div>
    Think of the major problems now facing the world: famine, water shortages, wars and other conflicts, epidemics, etc. Almost all are due to, or a response to, over-population (too many people).

So this is a very good reason for not adding to the billions already in existence and on the way.

And of postponing nature's response to excessive numbers (as history shows): great calamities of some sort.

14. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(triphop @ Jul 25 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]292239[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently they don't. In fact, you are so cutting edge that the rest of us can't make heads or tails of what the heck you're talking about here.

15. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Jul 26 2006, 01:07 AM) [snapback]292463[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the promotion and the vote of confidence, alas, I am only a clinic adminstrater, not an OB/GYN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zapranoth @ Jul 26 2006, 01:07 AM) [snapback]292463[/snapback]</div>
    FYI, ParaGard is good for up to 10 years and Mirena up to 5. Both can be removed, by a medical professional, any time the woman desires.

16. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 25 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]292223[/snapback]</div>
    Well, abortion just wouldn't be an option now - it's possible that it might have been, five years ago when I was in high school and we would have been unable to raise a child in a stable home. Probably not, actually, because I think we would have found a way. Today, it might be undesirable, but it'd be 'easier.' I'm another of those 'safe, legal, and rare' pro-choicers, I just believe that you can't achieve that through abortion legislation, only through pregnancy prevention and education.

I should clarify that I don't neccesarily think that a child needs a stay-at-home mom, but a good stay-at-home caretaker - preferably someone in the immediate family. If I were making more than my husband (ha!) I might be the one to go back out to work. I'm continually shocked at how many people seem to look at having kids as just one of the steps in life, instead of the awesome responsibility I see it as. Why have a kid if you don't intend for them to have the opportunity to be the president? Maybe he won't want to, maybe he won't even want to go to college, but in my world, a parents job is to make sure that when a kid graduates from high school, there is nothing he couldn't accomplish if he put his mind to it. Good grades aren't just a function of intelligence, they're completely related to priorities and expectations. Responsibility isn't just bred in, you've got to teach it.

Now, I'd never prevent a couple (or a single) from raising children if that's what they want, but I wish that somewhere along the line we'd hit everyone upside the head and tell them not to undertake it if they're going to do a half-assed job.

OOPS, sorry about the soapbox. Anyway, my point for the whole thread is that you guys gave me gobs of reasons why I shouldn't have the surgery, but very few for why I shouldn't be allowed. Even the "Why You Shouldn'ts" all revolve around the idea that someday I may change my mind and want to have kids. I don't know any other ways to say it, but getting my tubes tied would have no effect on my eventually having kids, only my ability to get pregnant. They are not one and the same. All of the arguments treat adoption as a second-class way of having kids, and I think THAT'S the real problem.

17. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Jul 28 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]293745[/snapback]</div>
    geologyrox,

I don't think you are going to get a response to this. You can see that most people are selfish and to them adopting a child is not a way to have children. Most will tell you that you have to have your own, which to me is selfish. It's not about children. It's about me and my own only. I don't know what the statistics are but I think that there are more people who adopt children because they can't have their own than the ones who adopt because they want children in general to have better lives. I find it sad. All the reasons I heard so far why people want to have children are lame.

18. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most of the people I know that have adpoted have done so because they were unable to have children of their own, with the exception of one couple who adopted 5 Haitian siblings (all of them to keep the family intact) for purely humanitarian (and I believe religious) reasons. That's from my very small circle of x degrees of separation; but I don't believe adoption is veiwed as a "second-class way of having kids" - it's an alternate way.
    Yes, for many parents, children are an adornment, a "next step", or a tax deduction, rather than the joful gift they should be. Not sure what can be done about that outside of personal epiphanies occuring.
    What I think you're missing in some of the messages is that there CAN BE a strong biological urge to bear your OWN children, that you may not feel now (or ever) - but you might one day.
    I never heeded the advice of people older than me the first 40 some odd years of my life. That's the path I decided to take, right or wrong. But I gotta tell ya, more often than not, what I was being told turned out to be true, despite my absolute convictions to the contrary at the time. "Not even the wise can see all things."

19. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Geologyrox,

You have it figured out. Your views on parental responsibilities and the value of choice is spot on.

My spouse and I went through a time (about 10 years) when we did not want children and were accepting of the idea of possibly never having children (adoption included). At the age of 28, we changed our minds.

Don't feel frustrated about being unable to be sterilised. No concientious medical professional will do it. The human brain isn't even considered fully developed until the age of 25 or so. Why do you think your car insurance premiums drop dramatically on your 25th birthday?

Later in your life (believe me it will come too quickly and too soon), you will be able to take this step. Just trust everyone that there are good reasons why you cannot at your age.

20. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Actually, ZenCruiser, one of the reasons I'd like to have my tubes tied is just because I know that it's entirely possible - maybe even probable - that I'll someday come up against the urge to procreate. It's not that I don't hear that part of the argument - it's that I really don't WANT big decisions like child rearing to be made because of hormone levels or a 'biological clock.'

I am glad I posted this - I'd had an apparently unfair opinion of IUDs, which appear to be a much better choice than they used to be. Maybe next year I'll give it a try. I still think there should be legal avenues (within the US) that would allow me to choose a procedure like this, but since I'm not booking the flight to Costa Rica anytime soon, it's sort of a moot issue (for me) in the meantime.