1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On Memorial Day, do we honor the confederate soldiers?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, May 29, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 30 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]263203[/snapback]</div>
    OK Squid take a deep breath. We all need to listen to each other. Then think. Then listen. Everyone is part of this unified world now. It is sad. How are we going to bring them to that point?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On the Memorial day, a Korean war veteran came to me and asked about my Prius. I was glad to answer all he wanted to know. I even gave him a ride and he was impressed.

Dennis

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 30 2006, 11:31 PM) [snapback]263205[/snapback]</div>
    That's just it though, YOU say everyone is part of this "unified" world, well maybe not everyone wants to be part of it. We all need to listen to each other... Sure, hey, I agree, but if someone doesn't want to be heard, why should we reach in and pull their heads out of their asses, so to speak, if that's where they want it? When I step into the shoes of let's say, the world view from outside the 'western' train of thought, hell yeah I can see why they're so pissed at the "west"....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ May 30 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]263086[/snapback]</div>
    ah, that sux g... you've always got to have some ahole ruin it for everyone... of course, even i have to admit some form of 'leeriness' when coming across such folks, but i don't think too much of it... then again, i'm white so i suppose i'm biased....

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I don't think that including Confederate soldiers on Memorial Day and going around waving the Confederate flag are the same thing. The Confederate flag, could mean "rebel" or "Southern pride" but all too often is a symbol of hate. It's emotionally charged, like the N-word, although to a somewhat lessor degree. And so I think it's a poor choice of symbol to hang it or wave it.

Personally I think the solution is for a Black Hip Hop group calling themselves the Black Rebelz or something to adopt the Confederate flag as their symbol and merchandize it everywhere. Then it would be impossible to tell upon seeing a Confederate flag, whether it was an anti-Black or pro-Black (or neutral) symbol, and the hate attached to the symbol would be neutralized (much as gays and lesbians have reclaimed the word "queer," and Blacks within their own culture with the word "nigga").

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ May 31 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]263531[/snapback]</div>
    A cpl of years ago there was a construction worker who had a Georgia State novelty tag on the front of his personal vehicle :
    [​IMG]
    One of his black co-workers saw it and took offence to it & complained to the company..
    The guys boss told him he needed to take the tag off of his truck or they would have to let him go, as the co-worker was raising such a stink about it.. The worker refused and explained that it was his home state & he was showing his pride for his birth place.. He was fired the next day, then the media got ahold of it and now he's a rich man.. :lol:

I wonder when they'll have the same responce to the rainbow flag?
    [​IMG]

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ May 31 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]263531[/snapback]</div>
    A cpl of years ago there was a construction worker who had a Georgia State novelty tag on the front of his personal vehicle [​IMG]
    One of his black co-workers saw it and took offence to it & complained to the company..
    The guys boss told him he needed to take the tag off of his truck or they would have to let him go, as the co-worker was raising such a stink about it.. The worker refused and explained that it was his home state & he was showing his pride for his birth place.. He was fired the next day, then the media got ahold of it and now he's a rich man.. :lol:

I wonder when they'll have the same responce to the rainbow flag?
    [​IMG]

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 30 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]263068[/snapback]</div>

NEGATIVE. I will only concede that some people display it because of SHEER IGNORANCE. That is as far as I will go to meet you. Once you point out to them what that flag stood for, if they keep showing it, it moves from ignorance to stupidity and bigotry and all that other stuff I said.

9. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 29 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]262490[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. And, don't forget those who were of color that fought along the south, and I'm not talking about slaves.

Slavery is the convenient excuse, when the truth about the Civil War is far more complex.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 30 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]263068[/snapback]</div>
    I have. One of my memories, is of this pick up truck driving down Biscayne Boulevard, in Miami, with the Confederate Flag, and Blacks and Whites in it. They were at the time, protesting that kid that was here from Cuba...what was his name? Anyway, like I said, the truck had blacks and whites with that flag.

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The American Civil War, as terrible as it was, at least ended on relatively peaceful terms. There were no mass imprisonment of Confederate officers or soldiers, no renaming of Southern towns or street names etc. (imagine Atlanta being renamed Sherman City!)

After the VN war, the victorious communist North toppled statues, renamed Saigon and its streets, imprisoned thousands in so-called education camps. Most insulting of all, it razed the South's equivalent of Arlington National Cemetery and built an amusement park on top. My uncle, who was killed in battle in 68, was buried there.

In VN today there is no equivalent of a Memorial Day like in the US where all who died in wars are honored. Many cemeteries and memorials have been built across VN to bury or honor the war dead, but only for those who fought for the communist North.

So Memorial Day in America has a much more special and profound meaning to me personally. As I sang with our choir at an outdoor concert yesterday, I noticed that there were two flags flying in the background. One was the US flag, the other the black MIA flag. Interestingly, one of the songs we did was the old spiritual "Down by the Riverside", with its catchy refrain "I ain't gonna study wars no more..."

12. barcelona11

barcelona11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Confederate Memorial Day was on April 26 years ago - I don't know if it still exists or not.

Interesting language in this old thread, especially about soldiers who "believed in slavery" or not. Slavery existed (and continues to exist!), so perhaps what is meant is that soldiers "supported slavery" or "opposed slavery". If we can agree that slavery is bad, perhaps we should be working to defeat it, even now.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Right. Saying they supported a system of slavery is more appropriate. And while there are forms of slavery today, it's probably more subtle.

14. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    More subtle? Not if you own a small to medium sized business in California or other highly regulated state.

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sort of related: My high school was Robert E. Lee.

Their mascot was the Rebels, school song Dixie, drill team Rebelettes, had the largest Confederate banner after Ol' Miss?

A Federal judge ruled they should get rid of all that in 1971....name was still Robert E. Lee, but the overtly Confederate symbolism was gone. Busing started the tensions as it was 15% of the school. Crosstown rival John Tyler was about 60% black.....when they played for the next ten years, there was always a riot at REL.

The saddest thing is the parents encouraged this high school rivalry that was a mini-American Civil War....Confederate banners flashed at John Tyler High, the football game boos sounded more like rioters....punks both white and black would face off daring each other to fight at REL.

It's still not a perfect world, but as for me it seems a big improvement from those days.

Me personally, the Civil War is an inseparable part of American history, but I don't think about it much.

By 2050 the American white population as a whole will no longer be the majority...the sooner the white community deals with it - the better....much of the GOP seems to be in denial of this reality.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Which comes as a surprise for most Yankees: In the north, the Civil War is history; in the south it is a current event.

Tom

17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  18. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    tru dat! :)

19. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's a scene from my vantage point this past Memorial Day. The video quality is not so great (the iPhone cam can't deal with changing light so well) but the sound is very good.

For those of you who are familiar with Ken Burns' "Civil War" series, this is the theme song from that. I'm guessing that Jay Ungar didn't compose this piece for Union soldiers only...

20. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just had to ask about the relative thickness of the "thin" coat of varnish relative to the size of the "globe." A globe is not a standard unit of measure. I have a globe that is about 3" in diameter, and I have seen them much larger than a couple feet across. How thick does the layer of varnish need to be on each size of "globe" to accurately represent the layers of the atmosphere, which are 29 miles thick?

This is not to counter the substance of the quote (re: anthropomorphic change to the atmosphere), just to nail down the exactness of it ("thin layer of varnish" relative to "globe.") As it is, it seems pretty vague when there is no unit of measure tied to either element.

Sorry for the interruption. Please get back to your row.