1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On picking a PV module: the Effect of Altitude

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SageBrush, Sep 12, 2010.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Solarians,
    I live at about 6250 feet altitude, and would like confirmation that my back of the envelope guess of 45 extra watts/square_meter solar irradiation at my home is correct.

This is part of an exercise is picking out PV parts. I'm considering Enphase microinverters, but they are rated either 190 or 210 max AC. I'm wondering if 240 watt stc panels are too much.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sage,

First I would post the question here:Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun - Powered by vBulletin As these guys have forgotten more about PV that most of us will ever know.

Second, Most panels will never reach STC performance except in very cold very clear conditions, and even then only for short times. The exception is edge of cloud events. My rule of thumb, for what it is worth is I count on ~80% as full output. My 400 watts of off grid, peaks occasionally over 400 watts, but most daily peaks are ~325-350 watts. In any case, most inverters will just "ignore" power that spikes above rated, assuming these spikes are short lived, like edge of cloud events.
    I can't say for sure about Enphase, Drees is the resident Enphase inverter expert.

Good luck with your project,

Icarus

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your experience Icarus.

I have been lurking at the website you posted since you first brought it to my attention. Great forum! I think I found a recent Enphase discussion that pretty much just said "too early to tell," which I think is a reasonable point of view. Otoh, the company has a good warranty and the inverter is easy to ship back to them if defective. Tempting ..

Maybe I should just ask Enphase if they would honor a warranty on a burnt-out inverter attached to a 240 module.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Any reason why you don't mention what your climate / state / latitude is? Also important ... the amount of available space to do your layout? They have just as much bearing as your altitude.

EDIT:
    Oh yea ... and remember that a panel rating is when it's ideal ... perpindicular to the sun. At best, that'll happen for just a few minutes of a few days in the summer. Produciton after that ... it's down hill, baby.

:p

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know for sure - all I know is that altitude will result in additional output - 5% seems reasonable but am curious as to how you got that number?

As icarus mentioned it's fairly rare that your panels output more than 80% of their STC rated value once you take into account real-life conditions and DC-AC conversion losses.

Enphase typically recommends a 230w panel - but they have listed panels that are compatible with ratings of up to 250w - so obviously they don't have any concerns with high power panels. The M190 inverter will limit power at 199w AC so it gives you a bit more room than 190w. Not sure what the M210 inverter really maxes out at.

How much power you lose will depend a lot on your mounting angle and local weather - I doubt you'd lose more than a percent of total power even with 240w panels.

Enphase does have an article calculating estimated power loss with large panels - see their "Module Rightsizing" whitepaper where they compare a 216w and a 235w panel in various locations.

As long as you use a module that is on their compatibility list, I doubt you'd have any issue with warranty. If the module isn't on their list, you can contact support and ask them about it.

What module are you looking at?

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sage,

One other way to look at this is this way. Even if your panels are subject to 45 more watts per meter under ideal circumstances, that translates at 15% PV efficiency to ~6 watts more on the panel per meter sq over and above STC. Not enough to worry about.

Icarus

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This might be a complete crock, but I started with 1225 watts/area solar output and 1000 watts insolation at the earth's surface, implying 225 watts/area attenuation by the atmosphere. I looked up air pressure at my altitude, which is about 80% of sea level. 80% of 225 is 180, or 45 watts more at the plate.

Icarus, Hill and Drees, thanks for the comments.

Icarus, I used the same thought as you had, that an extra 45 watts on the plate surface is about 7 watts extra DC output, or a maximum of 247 from the module. I'm not sure what the ideal DC to AC efficiency conversions might be, but a range of .15 - .2 starting from 247 watts gives 197.6 - 210 AC watts.

I completely agree that most of the day will not be anywhere near these power numbers, and a couple years of module aging makes the question moot. OTOH, my anticipated install is TPM and so will have close to perpendicular some of the year, so I thought the exercise worthwhile. Icarus' solar forum has convinced me that the inverter is safe regardless.

Drees, I read the Enphase whitepaper about sizing, thanks.

Hill, climate is high desert, 35.5 latitude, -106 longitude.

8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Enphase inverters are all right around 95% efficient and very flat in their efficiency curves - one of the best I've seen. California requires manufactures to submit their product to an independent lab for testing before allowing them to be used for rebates and make the results public. See: Equipment Section - Go Solar California

Add in a bit for wiring losses, but since your DC wires are so short for microinverters, it's pretty much negligible.

While most seem to assume that module aging will reduce power output to the tune of ~0.5%/year or so, people who have tested actual 30 year old modules seem to find that the modules don't seem to lose capacity anywhere near that fast. Thin-films are a whole different story, though.

9. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 25 year old Siemens/Solarex panels still routinely put out over 80% of rated stc, which is above the bench mark for a new panel. STC conditions rarely exist in the real world. WE get a bonus at -40 however, although even at ~-30 a panel with just a tiny piece showing though the snow will melt off in a matter of an hour or two if there is little wind, so they do absorb heat rather quickly,

T

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For the inverter only, yes. I was wondering about the total conversion loss from the panel DC output to the inverter AC output.

Care to guess what that number would be ? PVwatts.org uses 23% as a typical derating from panel output to meter. I kind of figured that if Enphase could do much better I would of heard it by now.

11. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually think the 77% is a pretty good estimate. Remember, most panels put out a consistent ~80% of STC, so in reality, 3% for wiring and inverter loses is not too bad.

Be glad you are not off grid. I advice my clients to figure (at best) on ~50%, and that only over a 4 hour average per day. The problem with battery based systems is they start being way less efficient, and only get worse as you look into it a bit further. For example, batteries need ~120 of ah of charge for every 100 ah of draw. Add into that, as batteries come close to charged, the charge controller begins to dial down the output, leaving lots of potential power on the table.

In our off grid situation we manage power fairly carefully so that we use large draw items when the batteries are nearly full, and we have excess power.

Icarus

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like they start from 95% of stc

Table from PVWatts.org

Attached Files:

13. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While those are reasonable defaults, Enphase also addresses them in their "PV Watts Calculation Values" application note.

Their suggested settings are 0.819 - a bit higher than the default 0.77.

Realize that this PVwatts derating factor doesn't have anything to do with temperature deratings - In other words, your maximum power will vary even more depending on temperature.

PVwatts takes the derating factor, then applies a correction based on temperature which it gathers from history weather data. It applies a 0.5% for each degree above 20C that the module experiences.

For example, Calfornia uses PTC ratings to calculate the maximum typical output that a system will see multiplied by inverter efficiency.

For example, your 240W Sharp NU-U240F1 panel is rated at 216.3W under STC conditions * 0.95 = 205.5W.

So under PTC conditions (20*C air temp, 1 M/s wind), I would expect the inverter to be reducing output by 6W or so from theoretical when there is 1000 W/m^2 and the sun is nearly perpendicular to the panels.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  15. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1. My roof never operates at STC conditions (20*C panel temps, 1000W / sq/m). PTC conditions more accurately represent typical conditions - my 180W panels (ET Solar ET-M572180) have a PTC rating of 157W.
    2. My panels aren't perpendicular to the sun. They are mounted on my nearly flat roof (4* angled west). Today the sun is about 60* overhead, which means I lose about 14% (sin(60) = 0.86).
    3. Inverter is 95% efficient.
    4. Dirt. Haven't cleaned them in a few months and it hasn't rained, so I'm sure there's a fine layer of dirt on the panels. Probably worth 5% or so.

Add them all up:

157W * 0.86 * 0.95 * 0.95 = 122W.

Looks like today the panels maxed out at 130W - perhaps one of my reduction factors is a bit overzealous? Today was very close to PTC conditions.

So far my system is outperforming PVwatts by about 10% using a .82 correction factor over the past 6 months so the system is operating as expected.

I've only seen the panels hit STC ratings once (over 5 minutes). It was a cool, clear, windy day that was partly cloudy back in May. The clouds parted briefly and the system produced over 3200W for 5 minutes. It was glorious until the panels warmed up and then another cloud came by.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Poetry in motion