1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On shutting down the lurch forward and shudder...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by OceanEyes, Dec 14, 2012.

1. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I apologize if I am in the wrong forum on this one or if it is discussed elsewhere but I am a newbie - you can direct me properly without offending me.

Twice today with cooling temps (45 during the day, closer to 30s on way home) while shutting down after being put in park my Prius did the "lurch forward and shudder." This is something new! Fuel has been purchased consistently from the same Shell station, she's garaged at night and MPGs are averaging 45... OK but nowhere near my great warm weather mileage. We are at close to 2200 on the odometer if my memory is working right - 2012 4 version. Happened once at the bank after work, once in the garage, level ground. :unsure:

Not sure what is going on... this is new to me with a new car....

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Was the ICE running when you shut it down? Mine does it when I try to shut it down while the ICE is running. Usually when I shut down, ICE is already off, so when it happens it surprises me too.

3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It might have been... usually I cruise into the garage under the electric motor and spaceship sound only... will try to be aware of this at my next stop... thanks for the reply... still getting used to this machine. :)

4. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yup, it was an ICE thing... Phew!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the ice is finding the place it needs to stop at, so it can start properly the next time, but i could be mistaken.

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have found the ICE does not "idle" in park if it is on. It is running fast to warm up or charge the battery. Since it is running fast and has a load on (MG1), shutting it off causes some drive line disturbance.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2

OceanEyes likes this.
  7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A ripple in the force...:D She coasted into the garage under electric power and quietly stayed put when I killed the power.

8. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One thing that I have notice is a bit of a rough shut down at stops. The ICE has sort of an RPM spike just before the shut down. This causes a shutter. One thing I wish is that the shut down occurred before car comes to a complete stop. Me thinks this would result in a more seamless event.

OceanEyes likes this.
  9. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It totally caught me off guard twice... I am a little more understanding about shutting the system down now.

10. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cold weather does not help - I am seeing the ICE hogging the energy screen - lots of those red lines tracing to the other two points on the screen and not a lot of regen unless I make it happen.

11. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    FYI - I and several other PriusChat members who installed an underbody front bar brace (there is no OEM brace there but there are mounting holes already drilled) noticed after install that the ICE/motor transition vibrations almost disappeared with a front underbody brace on the car. Additionally, the steering is a bit more precise too. There's the Tanabe front bar brace available, and a member named Rude person's has manufactured and sold several of his designs on PriusChat. If the ICE on/off power transition vibrations are bothersome, that's what I'd recommend.

OceanEyes likes this.
  12. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It seems to be me shutting off "abruptly" and the car "protesting"... making sure I shut off in stealth mode made a huge difference...

But the different mods members have done have piqued my interest - from the grille blocking, to window tinting to this mod... I like the steering as it is so different from the Ford F250 (whose failed and failing brake lines were successfully repaired today - driving 8800 lbs of truck with barely there brakes to the local shop 4 miles away was interesting...)... to improve on something that works for me already takes it to a new level.

Had a great day on I-95 for errands - was able to maneuver with traffic and stay ahead and safe when I needed to... had to ease my lead foot at one point when I saw I was at... uh, gasp, 80 mph.... but I did not notice the car laboring to reach that speed or protesting that she was being taxed beyond her abilities... it was just a moment of going with the flow... and staying clear of those driving fast in the slow lane and crossing lanes of traffic unsafely to get nowhere fast. I am all about defensive driving but was happy to "go fast" for a wee bit and enjoy it safely. MPGs were 45-49... not great compared to warm weather driving but OK.

:D

13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    If you shut of the heater when you're coming to a stop, the ICE will shut off a moment later, then you can have your nice quiet power off moment at the end of you journey.:love:

14. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I try not to drive with the heater running unless I notice those first bits of fogged windows happening...and then I shut it down as it messes with my MPGs but will now have my mental checklist of what to do to glide quietly to a stop.

My brother had "The Forbidden Planet" on last night - a 1955 sci-fi movie with Leslie Nielsen in it... and had me laughing at the different synthesized noises that were simulating a sci-fi environment - he kept telling me "That is what your Prius sounds like!" Guess I better listen more intently...:whistle: She was affectionately nicknamed "the spaceship from planet Zok" in my household....:love:

Kool Aid, anyone?!:D

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That generally only occurs during the warm up stage. Once the car is in stage 4, the shutdown is quite uneventful.

WE0H and OceanEyes like this.
  16. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually it sounds like the taxi in "Total Recall". You know, the one with the obnoxious, swiveling, stationary robot.

OceanEyes likes this.
  17. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

18. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah!!! That's it!

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a normal Prius thing. The car has it's own personality :)

Mike

OceanEyes likes this.
  20. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That probably explains it best! I had to pick up my truck from the mechanic and told my brother he could drive the Prius home if he rode out with me... he loves his muscle cars but appreciated driving "the spaceship from planet Zok" - he was talking about playing pulse & glide and the regenerative game when I returned with the diesel.

Oh yeah, I have enough Kool Aid to share....;)

WE0H likes this.