1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lunabelgium, Oct 26, 2009.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just take the tire size from the door jamb, drivers side and have them look up that. Man, if its not in the computer they don't have a clue...

2. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, I really don't know what the issue is. Maybe their database is not so good, but I'm gonna go back and try again. The guy even came outside and took a look at the car.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I was gonna say the same thing spiderman said. Ask them to search by tire size instead.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go to Tire Racks web site and enter your car info. Click on Snow tires and print the list out.

Then go to Sears and tell the guy this is the list of snow tires that will fit our car. Ask him to beat the Tire Rack prices.

5. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I looked at sears online by size and they have 11 different snow tires that fit 195/65/15

6. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I put in 2010 Prius at Sears tire center and came up with a slew of options in both sizes. Here's the link, hope it works for you.

Winter Tires: Snow Tires at Sears.com

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I put the 4 195/65R-15 Michelin X-Ice Xi2 Green X on 15x6.5 Elbrus I05 SDC ICE rims from Tire Rack on today. The weather man predicts snow in Cleveland this week.

These rims look really good on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The snow tires had very little effect on MPG. On the way to work I had an average of 51MPG. On the way home the average was 64.3 MPG.

The tires are very quite and the ride is better then the factory tires. We have not had snow yet. I will report back when we do.

[​IMG]

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks good so far... let us know what the entire tank average is.

p.s. I really like the looks of those rims!

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. Best I could do with near freezing and winter tyres was 3.9L/100km (60mpg) but just barely. I'd say to be fair, it was 4.0L/100km but that was only over 50km. Grille is blocked, heater was running at 22°C in ECO mode.

11. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is not that cold in Cleveland yet. On the way to work it was 40 deg F and about 55 deg F on the way home.

I am sure it will go down a lot in the winter as it get colder.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn it lol. Our last gasp was last Tues/Wed when it was over 59°F. Now we're gonna be barely above freezing for daytime highs for the rest of the week.

13. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Comparing mileage is like comparing spouses LOL
    When I drive into Toronto it pretty flat and have gotten down to 4.1 L/100km
    I drive to other towns , into hilly areas the best I can do is 5 /100km
    Into the 50F today , got to love it

14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not related directly to snow, but certainly to cold weather; maybe already mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I found out today (temperature 2C) that if I turn off (completely) the A/C with cold weather outside while on a stop&go situation or at a traffic light and the ICE is running, it immediately shuts it down.
    I though that this could not be possible and that the ICE would run to keep itself warm (and therefore efficient) - this is not completely the case.

And it means also 3 things IMO: 1) the A/C heater is working mainly off the ICE heat; 2) that it is a bit of a letdown that the heater is not electric, but it is also true that having a hot ICE and not to use its heat would have been a bigger waste; 3) that though there might be some discomfort, especially in extremely cold weather, not having the heater running all the time, this is one case where a Prius gives you the option over a normal car - you turn the heater off and therefore you can turn the engine off and save fuel and still drive in stop&go traffic - on a normal car you can have the heater on all the time, because even if you turn it off, the engine still has to run in any case.

Still I find it a bit annoying that the Prius relies so much on the ICE for the heater - that is, a good portion of my fuel consumption during city traffic, stop&go and traffic lights, is actually due to some "minor" thing has the heating. I thought that the ICE was on more time than usual to keep itself warm...

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two things...
    1. There is an electric heater coil to assist with heating (defroster I think).
    2. You can always keep the heater temp down to reduce the need for the ICE. I keep mine @ 67F.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where else would it get the heat? It could burn gasoline directly to make heat, but that wouldn't be as efficient. It could also use electric heaters, but think about where the electricity comes from: gasoline. It would take more gasoline to make the electricity for heat than to simply use heat directly from the ICE.

Perhaps if your Prius were nuclear powered...

Tom

17. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heat is energy. The energy has to come from somewhere. It could be all electric resistance heat, from electricity from the battery, but then the battery needs to be recharged, and the ice has to run to charge it. You cannot get energy out of nothing.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I've noticed that the 2010 warms up a LOT faster than the Gen 2. It's -10°C on the way home and I actually had the car in EV mode (not EV Drive mode) with the heater running (set at 22°C) and ECO mode engaged. Very impressed!

19. zeke

zeke New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had four studded snow tires put on yesterday since we have a good amount of snow and travel a lot in the winter. While removing the tires, the service guy asked me where the fourth hub cap was. Duh!! All I could think of at the time was that someone "borrowed" it in DC over Thanksgiving. However on the way home I remembered that my wife asked me to get her pretty red car washed the day before. Luckily the car wash had the hub cap. I had read all the links on PC on hub caps versus center caps, but for now I don't have to do anything.

20. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Order some center caps now. They will be ready for next spring. You will not lose the center caps.

I have new snow tires on my Prius and still no snow.