1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On the market for a 3rd gen Prius - wish list

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bgustafson, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    @m.wynn RE: Cleaning the EGR. The 2013 I'm looking at right now (103k on the odo) had very regular oil changes and service inspections at the Toyota dealer every 4-5k since it was purchased. Do these regular maintenance intervals help with less likelihood of head gasket failure?

I might be willing to clean the EGR pipe myself once I get the car, but not sure I could handle the full EGR cleaning. Or am I still better off just giving up on buying a Gen III and looking at other options? I really do appreciate your advice.

#21 Bgustafson, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I might have to go test drive a 2014 Corolla. I could see that being a good alternate option. Or...spend about $5,000 more and get a low mileage 2016. Might be the same cost after buying a new battery for the 2013 down the road.

Just called a reputable local Toyota repair place, they charge between $300-500 for complete EGR cleaning. Not nearly as bad as I had expected.

#22 Bgustafson, Feb 28, 2018
    Bay Stater and m.wynn like this.
  3. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, even the most hyper-maintained, +100k miles gen 3 isn't safe from a blown head gasket unless EGR circuit cleaning has been part of the maintenance schedule. Cleaning just the EGR pipe is an odd thing that developed a following around here but really accomplishes nothing. It's a short section in the middle of a long circuit in which the worst clogging tends to happen at each end, in the intake manifold and the EGR cooler.

The 2016 sounds great to me. Although Toyota will likely never admit issue with the gen 3 EGR, the gen 4 EGR is completely redesigned downstream from the catalytic converter. Theoretically, this should aid in most contaminants being well nuked before the exhaust gas ever enters the EGR cooler. Of course we'll need some +100k miles gen 4 data to confirm this is a fix, but my opinion is they knowingly fixed their poor execution of the gen 3 EGR. In addition, it certainly sounds like gen 4 is simply a way more refined vehicle than previous generations. They sound almost pleasurable to drive:cool:...

$300-$500 isn't a bad price at all for EGR cleaning. Even an experienced tech is going to spend at least 3 or 4 hours doing a thorough job, and possibly longer if it's a real mess. So long as the tech is trustworthy, that's well worth it for a +100k miles gen 3 owner to pay, imo.

#23 m.wynn, Feb 28, 2018
    Raytheeagle and mjoo like this.
  4. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    What do you consider high mileage? I'm looking at one with 103k. I could get it cleaned as soon as I get home... But I'm looking at 2016s as well – only if I can find one within a reasonable price range for my wallet, though. Which is seeming unlikely.

#24 Bgustafson, Feb 28, 2018
  5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I should have said beyond 100k miles, as this has become the adopted EGR service schedule of Priuschat(y)... I don't really consider a Toyota engine high mileage til it's in the 200k or more range and edited post #23 to reflect this.

So if you grab one with 103k you'll want to think about executing the service at your earliest convenience. You probably have several thousand miles of buffer to play with but there have been a few issues reported at less than 100k.

6. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks! That really helps.

Essentially, what I'm trying to boil down is will it be worth the extra $5,000 to buy a much lower mileage 2016 instead of a 2013 with only 100k. I plan to keep cars usually 4-6 years. Seems like regular maintenance on a 2013 would keep the gasket from blowing, but I also have to account for a new battery in maybe 4-5 years. ... on the other hand, there's no guarantee a 2016 won't plague me with issues of it's own, and then I have to worry about keeping the paint from getting chipped too. lol

bisco likes this.
  7. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Man, I'm really conflicted. What would your best advice be? Do I just avoid the 2013 completely? Or do you think 100k is safe if I get it cleaned right away? Really looking for your best advice, since I'm not as familiar and want to make a good decision. It's a lot to cough up for a 2016, but if it would save me money in the long run, I would consider. But if the 2013 can get me 4-5 years, I would be happy.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You should also include your drive commute, hilly or not, speed and how often do you plan to drive. You can probably save more money by considering the Mazda 3 with 40mpg on highway to avoid the EGR drama :D

9. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I pick on gen 3 and call them turd gen, but I just picked up a low-miles 2014 to replace my 2010 which got collected by a Silverado pick-up on Dec. 29th. My older daughter drives a 2011 she bought used that I found for her and encouraged her to buy. I think they're great cars, just with a design-fail EGR. Of course the EGR cleaning is something I can do myself so it's not a big deal.

Since you have found a shop that seems capable and willing to do the service, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a turd gen. The one you're considering is around as high miles as I would go, since it is at Priuschat's service interval for EGR. But consider the zillions of turd gens motoring around well beyond 100k miles with oblivious owners and intact head gaskets. There is just no saying if yours is going to be THE ONE. 4-5 years will get the car to around age 10, an age where you do need to be prepared for hybrid battery failure. But your climate certainly isn't hard on the battery, and the vast majority of Prii do 10 years with ease. Oil burning is another potential issue that you can't really control buying used.

I get not wanting to strap yourself for a gen 4. My plan was to get a gen 2 PiP (or Prime as they call them:rolleyes:...) late in 2019. I looked seriously at doing it now but couldn't (wouldn't) come to terms with the pinch it was going to take to pull it off. So now the gen 2 PiP is likely another year or 2 off:(, but it beats the money stress I would have felt if I'd done it. Good luck with your decision(y).

10. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    #30 Bgustafson, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Watch @NutzAboutBolts EGR cleaning video here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

He references several other videos, for access. Also watch the intake manifold cleaning video.

You should also consider an Oil Catch Can in the PCV circuit, which (hopefully) will reduce future EGR clogging.

A couple of threads worth reading:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat
    (I get serious at post #56)
    (and get religious at post #68)

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

12. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'd definitely do a cleaning either myself or have a trusted shop do it. Oil catch for sure, maybe I could do that one myself as well.

How would you rate the difficulty of both tasks? I have to admit I'm very green with car repairs –– I'm trying to learn more, but the most I've done is spark plugs and tire rotations.

13. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If that is actually the blizzard pearl color, it's gorgeous in person. Verify it, and if it is, go have a look at it. Daughter's 2011 is bp, and although I don't care for white cars, it's very nice. I also really like the Persona packages, but there may (or may not) be a 1 or 2 mpg mileage hit with the wheels. Maybe others can comment on this...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hmm, I'll try to verify it's color. With all the snow we get around here, white cars look crappy pretty quickly. Not quite as sleek as black....but beggars can't be choosers! :)

I've looked into the 17" wheels and the MPG difference is very small, but I do hear hitting potholes is pretty rough (which there sure are a lot of in Chicago). This car is in North Carolina, so if I go down there I'll probably end up buying it. So I'll try to do as much digging as I can first. I do think it's a little overpriced.

m.wynn likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Watch the video, more than once. Also, read through the linked thread on EGR cleaning *, ditto on the Oil Catch Can install. I'm not a serious mechanic either, just oil changes and the like, never anything major. The main thing is to have the tools and chemicals you'll need on hand. Don't rush it, do it when you have plenty of time, especially if you want the clean the EGR cooler you have, not swap to a pre-cleaned one.

I would be prepared to raise the front end if needed. If it's going to be ramps better do it in advance. One reason: if you drop something, it's likely going to go through to the engine underpanel, and you'll need to be able to remove that to get it.

Have a variety of wrenches and extensions, a good selection of sockets, an assortment of long handled pliers, and for for sure an E8 Torx socket for the stud removal. A ratcheting box wrench in 12 mm size is very handy too. Also, one or two cans of Braklean for most of it, and powdered OxiClean for cleaning the EGR cooler interior.

I'll attach a couple of Repair Manual excerpts, with torque values and some info.

* I mention on page 3 of the EGR thread: it is possible to get the egr cooler off without spilling coolant, if you pre-drain a couple of liters. That will drip the coolant level below the egr components. Read through that thread for sure.

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  16. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OP: I have a 2013 with 120K miles. I will be doing the major preventive maintenance that will include swapping out the EGR assembly with one that I had previously cleaned. The work isn't difficult , just need to be patient. Expect one day to do the work. I will also be installing a OCC. There are plenty of DIY pictures and videos on this subject in PC.

It really comes down to this. If you can DIY then a G3 is a viable option for you. Otherwise consider other options unless you can find a competent mechanic to do the work for you. Consider the EGR/Related component cleaning a 120K mile interval.(y)

mjoo, Bgustafson and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Someone purchased that pearl white on the spot. Dangit! I'll keep watching... Or I might still consider that one with 103k.

18. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  19. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not really, the car has only 26K miles and is like new. Brand new in 2015 the car (Persona trim) listed for about $28K if I recall correctly.

Bgustafson likes this.
  20. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I've seen the Persona and Persona Sport package come up on Clist. I read here that the "sport" package is basically nothing, just some random package thrown together by SET.

I like the look of the steel rims on the Sport, but other than that there's not much of a difference.

Does the Persona series have the TRD sway bar, or is that only the Plus?

#40 Bgustafson, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018