1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On what page of the 2009 manual(s) is there information on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stock, Jan 10, 2009.

1. stock

stock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    On what page of the 2009 manual(s) is there information on the oil service recommended mileage and time interval between? Thanks.

2. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You should have received a separate, relatively thin manual called Scheduled Maintenance Guide that outlines this info.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. The MAINT REQD light will come on at 5K mile intervals.

The Toyota website is also your friend, see:
    Toyota Parts and Service

4. sfvmat

sfvmat New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I've looked through the mainentance guide, and it looks like the first service is either the 5K miles, or 6 months mentioned. Since the last new car I bought was 8 years ago, I'm guessing things have changed, but previously an oil change was recommended at something like 1K or 3K miles, with the idea that by then, the oil would have tiny metal shavings from the engine breaking in. Is that no longer a big deal?

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is no longer a big deal. Early and too-frequent oil changes are a gift to the service department.

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, times have not changed in that regard. The first oil change at a short interval does make sense since there is still a possibility of various burrs, shavings, contaminants in the original oil charge. Think of it as the "putting it into service flush."

The dealer does this first one as a freebie in many cases, so it is also a good opportunity to evaluate the dealer service dept. on a simple routine task (particularly to make certain they don't overfill.)

However, after that the intervals should be as recommended (or perhaps more depending on what oil you use, how you use your vehicle, and whether you keep an eye on such things.)

7. sfvmat

sfvmat New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Okey dokey. A definitive yes and an equally definitive no. I'll call my mechanic and have him cast the tie-brekaer.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like Shawn's rationale: get it as a freebie and use it to assess the service department. (There's really no point in paying for a 1000 mile oil change. Any particles big enough to be troublesome were already caught in the filter.)

Always check the oil level yourself before driving away from any oil change, and tell the service writer that you will do it. Perhaps because of an error in the service manual even Toyota dealers often slightly overfill a Prius.

9. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

My wife's 96 Avalon has a 7500mi schedule for normal driving, 5k for the severe condition.
    I don't remember any car of mine in the past having a 1k oil interval.

And, my old car that this 08 replaced cannot remember when I had my last oil change. It ran just fine.

10. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

But, he is not an unbiased observer;)