1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One card for EV charging station?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by horent135, Nov 22, 2016.

1. horent135

horent135 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm new to this EV charging station. I know our PiP does not require us to charge, but I like running in EV mode. There are many difference brand of charging station and I do not want to sign up for each one of them. Is there a universal card for EV? Currently, I try to look for free charging station, but there are times that cost $ to charge.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't you just use a credit card?

3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No. You need an RFID card to activate the charger. Otherwise you need to call a phone number on the charger and give them the charger station ID and your credit card.

Back to the original question.
    When I got my Leaf I go a single card that is good at many different charging stations. It is a "No charge to charge card."
    It was a promotion that gives you free charging for 2 years. But you had to create an account for that card with each of the charging stations companies in your area. And some weren't actually free. And after a year or so some companies dropped out of the program.

Mike