1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One-Door Smart Key = Virtually Useless

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rudiger, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a co-worker whose wife called the office in a panic because her keyfob wasn't working, and she couldn't get into her car...Yes...he actually had to remind her that the little shiny metal thingy that you stick into the ignition will also open the car door.

Now presuming that GM did eliminate the interior electric door lock switches in their cars (I'll look that up later,) the key fob thingy would still not be the only way to unlock the car door from the inside. If you look on the door handle of your Prius, you'll find a little plastic (of course...) rocker switch just above the silver plastic handle that you use to open your door from the inside of the car. If you very gently apply pressure towards the rear of the car, you'll notice that you can now open your door! There's even a red segment on the plastic rocker switch that will become more visable to you (and others) to remind you (or inform them) that your door is unlocked. This feature is called a manual door lock, and yes...GM has them too.

Automotive electric door locks have been around since like, the 1950's...but believe it or not, manual door locks have been around even longer.

2. Solscud007

Solscud007 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Im glad we got a Prius IV. I was not aware that the lower trim models only have one smart key entrance. It is so handy for me to have a keyfob and my fiancee to have one as well.

If im driving and she gets to the passenger side before I do, she can open the door herself by just pulling the handle.

The trunk smart key is a godsend. I just love not having to bother reaching for my key to push buttons.

Now my fiancee wants something like this for the front door when we get a house. haha

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes but... :D My Corvette has electrically operated door latches on the inside, There is a manual release but it is hidden low on the door in a awkward position and it isn't very likely that someone would find it without the owner's manual if they are already sitting in the car with the door locked. You just gotta luv the General.

In the early 1990s I rented an Oldsmobile, one of those where the door automatically locked when it shut. I started the car on a cold Maryland winter morning and got out to scrape the windshield and the door blew shut and locked. I called Avis and they sent out a tow truck get me in the car. The tow truck operator told my that GMs automatic door locks were putting his kid through college.:cool: At least the car was warmed up by the time I got back in it.:D :focus: