1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One headlight shuts off and eventually goes back on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AwesomeAccessory, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hyelite

Hyelite The prius and the cat/dog on the beach

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no, I don't, if you read the thread, I keep my lights on all the time. What happens is that randomly, usually when the weather changes, one light goes out. It's always been the drivers side. This time the passenger side bulb exploded. Snd the Master warning light doesn't come on anymore when I start up the car (turn on the car)

2. Hyelite

Hyelite The prius and the cat/dog on the beach

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    found this on another post, which if I went through as car wash and the housing was not completely sealed from Monday, it is a possibility.....

If you have moisture inside if the headlamp housing,
    A- it's going to leave white schmutze on the inside of the housing when it finally evaporates,
    B-Corrode the bulb contacts, which is a BAD THING Egon!
    C-Water on a HOT Halogen bulb will cause the bulb to explode, and if you have the HID, it gets even more expensive!

It sounds like the seal on the housing has become corrupted and is allowing water to seep in. Best fix is dealer under warrenty. Second best is you pull the housing and try to find the area where the seal went bad, and try to reseal it with some clear Silicone Sealer. Third option is buy a used unit from a salvage yard and install it yourself.
    Leaving it, and not doing anything will eventually lead to complete failure of the lamp assembly itself.​

3. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you think if it's the seal, you can get a whole new cover from Toyota for $11.00 each.
    w/HID and auto-level
    REAR COVER RIGHT - 2007 Toyota Prius (81135-47100) costs about $11.00
    REAR COVER LEFT - 2007 Toyota Prius (81135-47100)

If you ever used a petroleum based rather than silicone based lubricant on the seal, that would ruin it.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you keep the lights on all the time like I do too it will burn up the plug that connects to the lights. If you look at it closely you will see the inside area gets all melted. Hard to notice if you don't clean the plug off. I had to replace mine at 60,000 miles. Both were pretty toasted.

You'll know soon enough if they go back out again.

5. Polything

Polything Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i have the same issue. driver side low beam HID headlight flick on and off.
    got a new bulb but too lazy to change.

6. Longinus876

Longinus876 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have the same problem. Filament is perfect shape and when it goes on, it stays on. But turn it off and it won't come back on. What did yours turn out to be?