1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One hour City-to-City anywhere on earth

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 29, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Elon Musk: Rockets will fly people from city to city in minutes - BBC News

This means the BFR would launch satellites and service the space station - as SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Dragon capsule do now - but also take people to the Moon and Mars, and do what is termed "point to point" travel on Earth.

"Most of what people consider to be long-distance trips could be completed in less than half-an-hour," he told the Adelaide audience.

"Some of our customers are conservative and they want to see the BFR fly several times before they're comfortable launching [on it]," Mr Musk said.

"So what we plan to do is to build ahead and have a stock of Falcon 9 and Dragon vehicles, so that customers can be comfortable if they want to use the old rocket, the old spacecraft - they can do that because we'll have a bunch in stock.
    . . .

Of course it will still take two hours to get to the space port; stand in line for security, and; two hours to leave the destination waiting for the lost luggage.

Bob Wilson

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So....
    THAT's what they're up to.....

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This would involve the BFR or something similar. A very large quantity of liquid oxygen plus liquid hydrogen (or methanol?) would burned in lifting and landing phases. A few hundred people would make that quick trip.

For which, I suppose, they would spend much more than for a 13-hour jet flight. More fuel burn per person. More CO2, if methanol is in the burn. And cites at both ends would need places where BFR can make its ups and downs. Airspace set aside for 'vertical' flights.

Overall, possibly providing net benefits. If Musk can't do Mars without revenue from these hypercommuters, it's his case to make.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whatever happened to telecommuting and video conferencing? why are we trying to find ways to burn more fossil fuels?

RCO likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Just so. I forgot. Energy is required to produce the cryo fuels. Whether it is 'carbonated' or not depends on local situation.

RCO likes this.
  6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember seeing an airline advert hoarding from the 1970s when I lived in the UK, which boasted "Breakfast in London, Lunch in New York!", to which some wit had added "…and luggage in Singapore!" ;)

RCO, fuzzy1, pilotgrrl and 3 others like this.
  7. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reminds me of DG Compton's SF novel in which all long haul airline passengers are anesthetized, put into capsules and loaded as cargo. Wake up at the other end refreshed and ready to go!

Maybe we'd be rid of the incompetent TSA.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  8. Saw the video yesterday. At first I was like, "Not practical. It's too expensive." But then I was like... what if I could say that I've been into outer space and experienced zero gravity? :eek:

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's certainly a market for it among the ultra rich. It's not rare for CEOs at some of the largest corporations to get paid $10k+ an hour. Therefore if a one hour flight costs $90k more than a 10 hour commercial flight it would theoretically make sense for them to take such a flight.

RCO likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is about getting to earth orbital speed. The last I heard, getting a human up to that speed, then back to sitting still on the ground, safely, is still vastly more expensive than a CEO's paycheck over an air flight.

RCO likes this.
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Those with most money may crave this experience. Great, if it can happen without harming everybody else's (shared) planet. Musk (essentially) said this would be his revenue stream for Mars action.

I think that Mars should follow 1 or 2 centuries of Moon action, but 'slow adopters' do think that way.

RCO likes this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Rocketing upwards has involved 3 or more times Earth's gravity acceleration. Yer ultra-rich customers are not up for that in general. Musk needs to make up and down legs both more gentle.

We ought not expect to see accelerometer data from current SpaceX flights. Wait instead for some future flights to be done more gently. Then tickets might be sold.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking that 3G for that flight profile might be a little....(sorry!) "light."

There are data available for every Space-X flight and G-forces can be calcu-guessed from those data.

The US Navy and USAF might be able to provide information about exposures to high G environments, as they regularly take media and celebs on demonstrator flights....proceeded by the usual briefs and screenings, and media weenies and celebs come in all shapes and sizes.....and "I'm told" that they experience some surprisingly high g-loading, albeit for shorter duration.

Fun Fact:
    The Angels usually if not always fly sans G suits.

After reading all of the articles about how the Concorde programme was an utter failure both financially and ecologically, I cannot possibly imagine how one can scale that idea up to Musk's "1 hour" model.

But....we'll see.

As I've said more than once before, the landscape is littered with the shattered speculations of ex-spurts who said: "He can't do that!"

RCO likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Concorde spent more time burning fuel in thicker air.

RCO likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mother's quote from yesteryears: the devil find work for idle hands to do! Had no idea what she meant.

There are recreational chemicals that provide a similar experience for a fraction of the price, allegedly!

Yeah, but we did it and you're only jealous cause Boeing couldn't. That said, we needed French cash in the mix to make it viable and they demanded the 'e' on the end of Concord. It was the oil crisis and associated fuel cost increase that made it overly expensive, and the Paris crash sealed its fate. Nevertheless, Branson wanted to buy the fleet and run it under the Virgin Atlantic flag, but was denied by Government.

bisco likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Concorde was an impressive plane.
    The best way to reduce flight costs for long trips, while not increasing the time, is to get into thinner air.

On a somewhat related not, what ever happened to the flying wing configuration for a commercial plane? I thought they would be more fuel efficient than the typical tube with wings design. Wouldn't work with existing airport loading and embarking facilities?

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Truth is, I don't know but suspect your idea is close to the mark. (y)

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuel weight of a fulled loaded Concorde was barely over 50% of its full takeoff weight. That fraction is simply too low to get to the Earth orbital speed needed for this sort of fast travel.

19. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    African or European? o_O

Trollbait likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm familiar with only European and Asian varieties, not African.