1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One man's long term storage tips

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marine Ray, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Happy Saturday. This recent video provides great long term storage tips. From 11:30 to 13:30 he addresses hybrid batteries. Please also read viewer comments (especially PP owner Doug S)

Sid786 likes this.
  2. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here's what our owner's manual says about the the traction battery and if vehicle not used for a long time.
    Not used.JPG

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He is recommending what the manual says. I am keeping my traction battery SoC at 30-40% most of the time now that I don't drive the car frequently.

Marine Ray likes this.
  4. RovinRon

RovinRon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK - I've been urged by my better half to ask about what to do for long term storage. We bought a used 2017 PPA to have here in AZ and leave it when we go back home in the spring. It will be left in our garage for the 5 or so months we are back home. Now, I think I understand that there is a "house/start" battery that runs all of the electronics and gizmos that the car is equipped with. Does that charge when you plug it in to charge the traction battery? Then there is the traction battery that I'm assuming needs to be/should be charged periodically during long term storage and non-usage. Is there a recommended time span before each charging cycle? If that is done on a regular basis, would that take care of the house battery as well? Or do I just worry about keeping the start battery charged and then plug in the traction battery to charge when we get back? Unfortunately, the garage is not air conditioned so it will have a lot of heat here in the Phoenix area - last summer record number of days of 110 or more degrees! I will go to the above referenced page(s) to see if this specific issue is addressed. That's for any suggestions and guidance you can give. Ron

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That one.

Toyota recommends not keeping the traction battery fully charged when the car isn't going to be used soon. That is more important in hot climates. If the battery isn't fully depleted of EV range, I don't think you'll have to worry about it getting too low over 5 months.

The video says a battery maintainer isn't needed, and is an added hassle, but then recommends charging the 12volt when you get back.o_O disconnecting it for that amount time is a good idea. Came across a widget that plugs into the 12V outlet that allows a 9volt battery to supply power so radiopresets and such aren't lost; no idea how long that will last though.

It is not charged when the car is plugged in. Battery maintainers aren't expensive if you don't have access to a full 12V charger.

Marine Ray likes this.