1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One Module Reading Higher Voltage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cosmo Jones, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Cosmo Jones

Cosmo Jones New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been reading these forums for some time now, but I've run into a problem that I haven't seen anyone else mention.

So, I got the christmas tree dashboard on a 2005 Gen 2 Prius with ~160K on it some time ago, indicating a problem with the traction battery, which the mechanic confirms. Having already read up on repairing/reconditioning the battery pack, I decide to simply replace the one bad module with a new one at a similar voltage to the rest of the good ones (7.5V) without charge/discharge cycles or anything as a short term fix while I save up for a new or professionally reconditioned battery pack.

I did it. It worked! For about 30 miles, and then the same lights and warnings came up, so I tore down the battery again and tested each module. They're all fine, reading between 7.48V and 7.52V except for the one I replaced, which is reading 7.62V. I have been unable to find other reference to anyone having had the problem of one module reading significantly higher.

Can I just discharge this one with a light bulb back to 7.5V even though it started off in line with the rest? Does this indicate the module I got was bad? Is the higher voltage a red herring?

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You need a mini vci and techstream software to be able to see the status of all battery modules. You can check amazon for the item.

Checking the voltage alone won't get you a good indication of module condition. You have to put it under load to see how it is in relation to the other modules. Hence, using the techstream. Good luck.

3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For best results use a grid charger like the one for sale in the Priuschat store from hybridautomotve.com or line up all modules in parallel for 24-36 hours to equalize voltage.

4. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Within .3v is fine. The car is designed to throw error when it reaches 1.2v difference.

The Prius code will tell you which cell block is bad, don't guess.

j12piprius likes this.