1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One More AC Smell Thread: How to REMOVE (not prevent) smell? (class action lawsuit?)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by westville, Oct 21, 2015.

1. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's what I'll have to do.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Class Action Law Suit?

Why are people so willing and anxious to embrace the idea?

I've participated in more than one automotive website. And I can tell you complaints about "smells" coming from your AC system manifest in just about all of them. Nearly all makes and manufacturers.

My feeling (opinion) is that the nature of the system itself in ALL vehicles lends itself to the possibility of mold, mildew and/or smells developing. Filters that can become contaminated, condensation drains that can become plugged, all just mean a vehicles AC system is vulnerable to becoming contaminated and developing odors.

I also think todays vehicles with more efficient systems, and enclosed cabins might lend themselves to manifesting and revealing the problem more than in the past.

But again, I think it's one of those things that it would be very hard to prove and hold Toyota liable for. Unless you could prove that there is a manufacturing flaw that goes well beyond the bounds of all other vehicle AC systems that guarantees the outcome.

The amount of people saying they've never had this problem manifest, would suggest to me this is NOT the case.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no commitment, no cost, chance at some free money?

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    here is my experience with AC smell in toyota cars.
    Prius: no smell, i use AC responsibly (sparingly, no recirc, turned off 1 mile before destination). same in corolla i used to own.
    RAV4: slight smell at times, my wife uses it (enough said).
    Yaris: bad small, my daughter uses AC all the time with recirc on.
    i purchases the $15 cleaning kit (see post #3) for my daughter. if she doesn't learn, next purchase is from her measly allowance.

AltraStache likes this.
  5. AltraStache

AltraStache Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

What component would recommend for "disassembly"/inspection/cleaning related to possible source of that stank smell? I'm beginning to believe the smell I have is not a dead mouse or dead critter but something to do with the AC related mold/mildew build up somewhere in the car.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    AltraStache likes this.