1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One more rant about the lunging brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Frogerelli, Sep 24, 2013.

1. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To bring this thread back...

I've often had the braking incident when stopping on rough pavement or gravel and know what to expect, but today I had a low speed braking incident with no wheel slip. I pulled out of my spot in the parking structure at work and coasted down the incline toward the exit. Like many times before, I had the window down with card key out the window to be scanned when I stopped in front of the scanner. With my foot on the brake, the car rolled right past the scanner and stopped 2-3 feet beyond when the friction brakes suddenly locked up. Thankfully, this was before the parking arm and no pedestrians were present. The car behaved normally for the rest of my trip home.

I figure I was somewhere near the 7 MPH cutover point and the braking system was momentarily confused about how to slow the car. The car is a late 2011 with no TSBs done.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yikes! :eek: get thee to a dealer!

3. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had both models ... it is still there in the 2012 IF you know what you feel at that situation you can notice it.. BUT 2012 is a lot smoother than the 2010 was before the fix I think the 2012 is better at this than the fixed 2010.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not a surge. It is a lack of braking response to your brain. You slam on the brakes at speed after a pothole and expect an instant braking response but there is a tiny period of none braking at speed as abs kicks in and stability control control kicks. Its in milliseconds but your brain and body still feel it.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have experienced the feeling of loss of braking in both gen II and III, but i have never stopped beyond where i intended to.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes first time it happens its scary. But car still stopped fine. I have felt it one of the new cars at work too.
    Its not a Prius thing.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have also noticed it in other cars since the intro of traction control. computer takes over braking on rough/slick pavement giving your brain the feeling that you've lost control.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Saturn Vue AWD did that the other day on some bumpy slippery stuff. I looked over at my son in the passenger seat and told him I could have stopped sooner without that traction control and ABS. Oh well, didn't kill any wild turkey's or run over the Easter Bunny [​IMG] Whew :)

Mike

9. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not that is not what is happening ... you "feel" it when the breaking power is reduced. Your deceleration changes (or even stop and then start again) ... your brain notices the CHANGE of g forces