1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One of these things is not like the other

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by ammdb, May 24, 2024.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or just a bed rack.

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't even know if they plan to have a longer bed.

When is the F150 Lightning coming up with longer bed? How about the Rivian R1T or the upcoming Silverado EV? They already all have a shorter bed than the Cybertruck.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I often feel sorry for dual cab long bed pickups trying to navigate through narrow parking lots - trying to find a close-up spot rather than going out to the South 40.
    That said, the plug-in Ramcharger pickup becomes available in just 11 months. It may very well be a game changer. It's specs are quite impressive.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never mind F150s. The family farm has several vintage F250s (one with tire chains installed on all four, all winter, out of necessity). A single day's feed load, stacked to the shop ceiling, still sticks out beyond the lowered tailgate of the long bed. When fetching bales from the North 160, it gets stacked even higher (requiring straps).

This farm never had need for a dual cab, a standard single bench is fine. But if needed, rural parking is generally much more spacious than at suburban malls.

ammdb likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The point is that the Cybertruck is not a work truck. Never mind that those are regularly over loaded in ways not possible with the CT, but what about hauling 10ft pipe lengths or 30ft extension ladders. Pretty sure the F150 and Silverado EVs can be equipped with a majority of add ons made for the ICE models made for those tasks.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

How many trucks are ever used for those tasks? No reason that a pipe carrying rack sitting in the bed and extending over the cab couldn't carry those 10 foot pipe lengths.

As for hay bales, that is what a tractor and wagon are for. Loaded em in my youth.

You buy a vehicle for a purpose you anticipate. You can rent for the other 2%.

7. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You mean something like this?

Cybertruck Roof Racks and Bed Enclosure Cap + Toolboxes and more

bisco and hill like this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    1½ cab? or a true single cab? Do those true singles need to be special ordered? Do they even special order them anymore?
    Rivian and cybertruck do you have something in common. No separate bed but rather a single one piece body. Traditional pickup cab will support framing a box truck, utility truck, motorhome, flat bed welding truck Etc. Looking forward to the plug-in Ramcharger. Just 11 more months!

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So it can carry a lot more drywall than I'm ever going to install on any DIY hobby project, but also way less than you'd need for economical industrial construction?

You'd think this thing was tailor-made for youtubes.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is how the family still hauls them from the fields to the barns in summer.

But not nearly as practical when feeding to the herd in winter. The big lugged rubber tractor wheels are surprisingly bad on ice and snow.

11. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Big jobs will have them delivered. That's what I did when I built my cottage. The "oups, I miss one or two" type of load did fit into my 2002 Honda Odyssey van with the trunk close. Even a 10 foot ladder made it with the trunk close. Heck, even a 12 foot eavesdrop made it in with all the windows and trunk closed. Rain or shine, it didn't matter. Not so with a pickup truck.

Nevertheless, if you really need to carry way more, load in a trailer. The Cybertruck can pull more than the F150 Lightning, Silverado EV or Rivian R1T.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "A huge percentage of truck buyers ... are using these trucks as commuters, off-road machines, towing rigs, or camping platforms, essentially making them “lifestyle” buys rather than day-to-day workhorses."

"Long bed trucks will always live on in the heavy duty and commercial segments, but they’re unlikely to make a return for the average buyer as long as pickups continue to be conveyances rather than task-focused machines."

At the family's farm, pickup trucks are still task-focused workhorses, not "lifestyle" people-conveyors, so the long bed is still essential. The people conveyance was covered originally by ordinary sedans or station wagons, now shifted to small SUVs.

True single cab. The newest one there is nearly 20 years old, back when the market was different, when the U.S. Big Three automakers still made lots of [gulp] cars!

I was never involved in the purchase process, but dad was then still special ordering through a family friend / dealer. Yes, they are still shown on a Ford "Build & Price" webpage for 2024.

14. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From my observations, and being from the Chicago area, I am seeing a CT to cicada ratio of about 1:100,000. And I prefer it that way.

15. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    for 10' conduit and piping I use the Gen 2 Prius. For drywall sheets up to 6 I use the safari rack on the Range Rover. Anymore than 6 sheets I hire a guy to install them and deliver them. Once I hit 50 I do a lot more pointing....and check writing... I'd rather do electrical and sub out heavy stuff. That is work for a younger man.