1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One Person's Experience: BT plate voided Toyota's warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Beginning, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree the OPs post was a little undiplomatic, shall we say, but it could possibly be that he had just arrived home from his dealer. I would certainly not have posted as he did as I would want support rather than putting people's backs up, which he clearly did spectacularly! I suppose as a family doctor, I have to deal with people who are irate or rude due to worry, and calming them down normally helps resolve the problem. However you could all be completely correct and I am too soft! :)

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Give the OP a break. At least he has the base package and not #9.

Come to think of it, why would someone who bought the base package want to get the BT plate?
    Hmmm... sniff, sniff...

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter@Beoworld @ Aug 15 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]496116[/snapback]</div>
    You're a Brit...we understand! ;)

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Aug 14 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]495948[/snapback]</div>
    The burden of proof rest with Toyota to prove that an aftermarket modification caused the factory part to fail. However, the burden to make Toyota meet their burden of proof rests with the plaintiff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Aug 14 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]495948[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. How much less varies by the particular repair.

There is a bit of an incentive to not do a warranty repair, but not much. The service department is still the most profitable business unit of the dealership.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Not installing the plate is the best solution. I am not aware of evidence, other than personal opinion, that it works. Did the touring version include such a plate? I gather that Toyota was shooting for better handling with that edition.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Aug 15 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]496142[/snapback]</div>
    Touring version has the same plate as the regular Prius. It's got different shocks/springs and wheels/tires, plus a bit of a spoiler. There's still a lot that can be done to the Touring regarding handling.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Aug 15 2007, 01:57 AM) [snapback]496002[/snapback]</div>
    Especially since several people have had their dealer install the plate for them.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Aug 15 2007, 08:07 AM) [snapback]496118[/snapback]</div>
    Well, perhaps someone with a base package has to drive on rough, windy roads, and would like that little bit of stability it provides? :D
    I would put one on my Prius, if I drove more rough roads. I think I'm not quite at that point, though.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Beginning @ Aug 14 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]495496[/snapback]</div>
    He's right! I bought an aftermarket cd player, now they won't fix ANYTHING on my car. What precisely won't they fix? Err ... anything! I gotta go to work now too ... holding up a bridge.
    :p

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 14 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]495866[/snapback]</div>
    That may or may not work in this age of corporate service databases. My dealer has record of visits to other dealers, so I know they can share the data. Might be worth a try, though.

While I personally think the plate is worthless, I also think there is zero possibility of damage from its use, and if this poster is serious, he should be able to prevail.

I'd like a better idea of what "suspension damage" there is... unfixable rear axle misalignment is a problem that exists without the BT plate and there are threads here to prove it. Perhaps the poster could bring this data to the dealer's attention so they know the plate had nothing to do with the actual problem on the car.

11. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am still waiting with bated breath the information that the OP posted. I would think that someone this angry would provide such information ASAP to help rectify his problem.... ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Aug 15 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]496200[/snapback]</div>

12. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not really surprised to hear that the dealer denied a claim for the BT plate. Dealers say a lot of stuff to get out of warranty claims. However, the next thing I would do (after arguing with the guy for a bit, then asking for his supervisor and arguing with him a bit - nicely of course) I would look on Toyota's web site and file a customer complaint with Toyota corporate. They would take my complaint, then contact the dealer to hear their side. Pretty simple process really. I have a coworker that did this. Things got straitened out very quickly. Dealer called back and fixed everything requested. Toyota corporate called back a day later to make sure the guy was satisfied with the dealers service. All was good again.

13. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Hmm...
    [attachmentid=9965]

[edit]Well, there is an image attached there.... attachment # 9965 to be exact. I see it when I edit, and when I preview, but when I post <poof>. Maybe it's me, and you will all be able to see it....[/edit]

14. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not that I think this message will reach enough people to generate the correct answer, I will ask for a counterexample, to wit:

Has anyone

1. Installed a BT plate AND

2. Had a suspension problem under warranty AND

3. Had the dealer fix the problem under warranty in spite of the plates presence?

That case might put this to rest.

15. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 15 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]496601[/snapback]</div>
    Not if the OP is a troll....

16. Bear68

Bear68 Member

My Two Cents Worth... First of all... I have seen several Prii with stiffener plates installed and we have installed at least one here in the shop! (Dearlership!) I don't see ANY possible way for a stiffener plate to affect the actual moving parts of the rear suspension. After all, it's a solid bem axle with pivot points and coil springs and shocks... What, I wonder, was the warrantable condition that the OP was attempting to have repaired?

BTW, warranty "book time" from the Toyota flat rate manual is supposedly based upon the actual time required for a tech to replace whatever component is needed, using hand tools. The time is supposed to be an average of the "test tech" having done the job three times. Warranty time can be very strict and in some cases can be ridiculously low. Other times are oddly high. All techs (at least all that I know of...) are paid flat rate. If the job pays 3 hours, I get paid 3 hours whether I can do the job in 1 hour or 6. Therefore, doing the job fast and accurate gives me the ability to earn 10-12 hours pay in an 8 hour day. Making mistakes or not doing the job properly means I have to do it over again, without pay. If I align a car, and when I am done, the customer complains that the car does not go down the road straight, or the steering wheel is crooked, I have to realign the car and I do not get paid to do the second alignment.

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have spoken directly with Danny (Owner of this site) today and he has never been contacted by the OP nor anybody about any issues with warranty coverage or other issues in regard to our BT Tech stiffening plate.

We also have not been contacted by this person after asking for proof that he ever purchased a BT Tech plate.

In other words, like most of us thought this post was meant to be a TROLL and has now been confirmed.... :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bear68 @ Aug 15 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]496608[/snapback]</div>

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Aug 17 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]498112[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't it funny how "truth" defends itself and deceit only buries its holder deeper and deeper.
    The more these guys try and pull a fast one, the more they look like the real fools.

19. draker

draker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Although I have no idea about the warranty issue in question, I can report (and did so last year) that when I asked my local dealership (Northampton, Ma) to install my plate they refused to do so. In fact, they told me they talked directly with Toyota and were told not to install it. There was also an implication that if I did install this item, I might impact my warranty. This was not stated explicitly, but it seemed clear to me that this was what they were saying.

My 2 cents.

Feel free now to call me all sorts of names.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I go round corners pretty fast and I don't see a reason to change the plate.

I can't see why a dealer would deny warranty if they want to keep a customer. A warranty repair for an owner of a pretty new car would be just the ticket to keep a customer. Why would you mention the plate? I would do the work after getting approval from Toyota, if Toyota aren't told about the plate they wouldn't know.

Still no idea what the fault was. I had a front shock absorber replaced on mine under new car warranty even though the warranty was ended by 2 months. Go figure.