1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One SKS works fine other one sks smart functions stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Robbski, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Robbski

Robbski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just changed the oil and rotated tires on my sons '05 Prius. Throughout the process smart key features worked fine. Last thing I was going to do was check air pressure in tires and top them off. I have a cheap 12v air pump that plugs into the accessory/cig lighter port that works pretty well, but the car has to be running to power the thing. Every other time I've used it on the Prius I've remembered that it won't work and used another car to provide the juice.

This time brain cramp and I plug it into the Prius port and of course it doesn't work. Then I notice I can't start the car with the key in my pocket and the dash is giving me the "where's the key dummie" light. I try a few times, no good but when I put the fob in the dash the car starts. Then I check the fob's door lock/unlock function and it works fine. It seems like I changed my smart key into a not so smart key.

My son comes over to get the car and I tell him that my fob isn't working (I keep a spare for him) and he says "that's too bad, got to go" and hops in with his SKS and the dash lights right up and off he goes no problem.

So I do a bunch of research here and then some googling. One person indicated that 12v devices in the accessory port can cause the SKS to fail. What wasn't clear is whether or not the damage is permanent or transitory? Did it cook the circuits in smart fob or just confuse the software? and if there is a way to fix the individual Smart Key.

Sorry for the book length tale of woe. Any ideas?

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No genius, and you will probably get better help soon, but just for the heck of it, I would take the battery out of the non-functioning fob and either replace with a new battery or swap it for the battery in the functioning fob.

Might work as a sort of "re-boot," or the battery might really need replacing....then again, probably won't work, but not too tough a process to give it a try.

Robbski likes this.
  3. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 on trying a battery replacement/swap.

Guessing that because his SKS key worked, the SKS on/disable switch (right under the wheel, next to where you may have pushed the TPMS reset switch after you did the tires) is correctly set, but worth a check if for nothing else than to see where it is located.

Robbski likes this.
  4. Robbski

Robbski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I think a new battery for the fob is worth a shot as it's small $. I did check the button under the wheel but as ILMPT noted that button would block all the keys or none of them. Hoping that this puzzle proves simple!

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 for the suggestions to replace the FOB batteries. The SKS on my 2009 Gen II started getting flakey a couple of months ago, and the problem was fixed by replacing FOB batteries! Good luck!

Edit: BTW the first time my SKS started showing signs of flakeyness (2 years ago), the solution was to replace the 12V AuxBattery. (I just re-read your original post, and think the problem might be in you having a weak AuxBattery)

Robbski likes this.