1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One step closer to an all electric.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Darrin Mattson, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Darrin Mattson

Darrin Mattson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I sorta reunited with a couple that I have known for years that are so fascinating in March after a few years of not seeing one another. I mentioned at one point, while talking about what we drive in the many hours that we talked, about my 2002 Olds Bravada is scaring me a bit. Being it my only ride and getting old and maybe having not a one day fix in its future, well I wanted a cheap Toyota or Subaru for a back up. Turns out they were looking to sell their 2008 Prius cause the girls were gone and they had the 2018 Camry Hybrid. I said sure, sounds interesting. They said take it for a week or two. Ok yeah right but I sorta forgot about it with all the Covid and such. Well they called and left a message to asked if I still might be interested a week ago. I kinda blew them off for a few days but promised myself to text on Friday. I did and set 10a to check it out at their place about 35 mins away the next day. Really enjoyed the ride in the Bravada on the way out too meet the Prius. I have spent tons on this truck through the years and I finally had it sorted out that a second car wasn't as urgent now. I know, why spend so much on a Bravada, well it's a longish story and simply boring and really I'm here to talk the Prius experience to this point. I have always wondered about the hybrid car and it is tech is very cool. My first look around it I do see some rust getting concerning between the rear door and the wheel but fixable if done like now or very soon, the A/C doesn't work and it has 230000 miles but drives great. Feels and sounds tight. They only ever took it to the dealer for service except when the husband serviced the water pump twice and the brakes once. He is very intelligent and a real live blacksmith. I also knew that it would be worth at least 3 grand and I only wanted to spend two. They said take it for a ride and after some giggling at the weird way to make it go I was off. Ok I was stunned. It isn't as quick as my Bravada but was totally fine and quicker than my preconceived notions. So back at their place when we started talking turkey he said he wanted $2400 and I countered two G's knowing I would go to $2200 if pushed but he said cool but still insisted that I take it for a week or two if I wanted and my Bravada can sit in their garage while I make up my mind. Wow, it really only took the trip back. I gave it a wash as it was a bit dirty and I vacuumed it out but honestly that only took 15 mins. It has minor cosmetic issues but hey who cares. I am buying it barring any underneath stuff being a mess but I doubt that as it was just in to get an oil change in June at the dealership and they saw nothing alarming other than the tires are about half way or so. I really like driving it and it seem comfortable enough to go for a day drive to get out of the house. Any thoughts? Things I should look out for? Should I not buy it for some reason? Let me know.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Darrin.

At $2k that sounds like a good deal even if it needs a new traction battery soon. Which it might at that age with those miles. Replacing the traction battery isn't as scary as people seem to think, so I'd say that if you're satisfied with the car's condition, go for it. Especially if you're a DIY kind of guy. Prius Chat is a great resource if anything does come up. And with that many miles, something's almost sure to come up. The big potential expenses are the traction battery, the air conditioner, and the brake accumulator. And they don't have to be super expensive.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    GIANTBLOCKOFTEXTISIMPOSSIBLETOREAD

4. Calimobber

Calimobber Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah the Huuge text is kinda hard to follow with no breaks haha.

Id say it sounds like a decent deal especially since you know the history. I paid 3500 for my 08 with 232k miles. it was clean and everything worked but i replaced the HV battery at 245k after it was showing signs of being old and tired.

From everything ive read and from my experiance these are extremely easy vehicles to work on. There really isnt much too them so If you like the interior and exterior enkoy your new car.

Im not sure how you handled your bravada so long. Once you go toyota you never look back :)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you are a serious diy'er, you can make this work for you.

if you know a good hybrid mechanic, itwon't be too awful.

if you only know thatthere are dealerships who make a lot of money repairing cars, i'd stick with a gasser.

6. Darrin Mattson

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello everyone. I had a chance to take it to my mechanic and neighbor. He has a legit auto repair business and he has taken care of almost everything I have done on the Bravada so I trust him. He was impressed after getting a look. Underneath was rusty in places but better than expected for 12 Wisconsin winters. Not one leak from any seal anywhere. I can't believe it's possible but I saw it with my own eyes. Mind you I have only owned GM vehicles, so for the most part, if it doesn't leak oil after 100,000 mile it's because you forgot to add more. The air conditioning is dead because the condenser took a big hit from a rock (I assume) and let all the magic cooling gas escape. Ordered a new one of those minutes ago from Rock Auto for $75. I'll install it myself and have the mechanic charge it up and I should be good to go. barring another leak we discover later. The only other thing is the heat shield above the muffler is loose, but a fender washer will fix that. So, thank you all for commenting. Seems like this is the place to ask questions in the future if I need some help.

7. Darrin Mattson

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The reason I have had the Bravada so long and spent probably more than I should is because I was always an Oldsmobile guy and I just really like the last gen of them. The first time I saw one and I knew I wanted a dark green with a tan interior and all the bells and whistles, but I was poorish and well not going to happen. However, it did 4 years later and I got a great deal on it and I really like driving it. I know it inside and out. I usually have the mechanic fix it but I do my own work on it too. So that's why I still drive it. You certainly have one thing right, I will only by a Toyota from now on after looking this Prius over top to bottom. The Bravada is the last GM I will ever own.

Thank you, your encouragement means a lot but I haven't run across people complaining about a brake accumulator. Can you give me some more details? Did I miss something? I am only 5 days into this.Is it a replacement for a vacuum boost that an ICE can give to the brakes?

#7 Darrin Mattson, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2020