1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One-time partial brake failure ... ABS, VSC, brake lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Crizzle, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Crizzle

Crizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2007 with 175k miles. The ABS/VSC/Brake lights have been on intermittently (more often than not) for a several years. I was told that it was an issue with the lights...not a major problem since they were all coming on at the same time. I have had no problems with the car (aside from all of the rubber parts deteriorating/falling off...).
    Two weeks ago, I had the dash go out entirely...dealership repaired at no cost as part of recall. They told me my brakes were low...needed to be aligned. I had them align it the next week with plans to do brakes elsewhere.
    Yesterday, I stopped for gas. When I turned car on, it felt a bit jerky, seemed to lunge a bit...and that is when I noticed the brakes were not working properly. There was no pressure when pressed...only when I slammed on the brake would the car slow down. I managed to make it home...but noticed each time I depressed brake pedal that the result was very erratic...jerky. Today, the brakes are working as usual...dealership says they cannot diagnose since they won't be able to pull codes if the car is not currently having a problem.
    I am scared of the car starting to have a lot of repair costs in addition to a dangerous situation with the brakes.
    Wondering what next course of action should be...not interested in waiting for the brakes to fail again before a repair...wondering if this is the time to get a different car...

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If warning lights have been on there are codes. Get them read by Toyota hybrid capable scanner. If you want to do it yourself get techstream. Post codes here and probably somebody can help you.

Crizzle likes this.
  3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with get and check codes ASAP!
    (But if no codes are posted, consider "old fashioned" trouble shooting to try to get brakes working dependably. And given the mileage of the car and the heat of Texas, I would add to the list of things to check the amount of moisture in your brake fluid! I had partial brake failure here in Virginia on a hot day on the interstate, and although the level of the fluid was fine, the moisture content was high enough that the water in the brake lines turned to steam and vapor-locked the brake lines after they were used a couple times and had heated up. Completely draining and replacing the brake fluid solved that problem. Good luck!)

Crizzle likes this.
  4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    THAT was a total bunch of BS.....and probably came from the same shop that told you they couldn't pull codes once the lights go off.
    This is NOT a one time partial brake failure; there has been a persistent failure in the brake system FOR 3 YEARS NOW.

YOU NEED TO FIND A DIFFERENT DEALER or good independent shop.
    There is a fault in your braking system that needs to be fixed.
    (Note also that a weak 12 V battery can cause random failures like that but that likely wouldn't have lasted 3 years.)

Crizzle and Robert Holt like this.
  5. Crizzle

Crizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have ordered a code reader... based on my research on Prius Chat...I think that replacing the 12v and the brake stroke sensor are possibilities for a fix. I have ordered a 12v since it has never been replaced...

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    easy rider got it right. even if the lights go back out, codes will be stored. any tech that tells you different is a lazy worthless pos that should not be allowed to even check your oil. get the codes pulled before you change the battery because disconnecting the battery can erase some codes. you need to pull codes asap.

Crizzle likes this.
  7. Crizzle

Crizzle New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought the obdii wifi...downloaded the EnglineLink app to my phone...the only code that comes up is POA11- DC/DC converter enable circuit / open. I can view the prius specs through the app (I think)...but there are no alerts/codes regarding VSC / ABS...etc. The lights have returned since I replaced the battery...same POA11 code. Any ideas?

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, make the dealership do their job to troubleshoot and repair. If they can't do the job, have it assigned to the Regional Tech. Brakes are a safety issue...so make yourself heard.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was another post recently that indicated the EngineLink software does not read Prius specific PID's out of the box. This is a very common situation, where brandX code readers only read the generic codes from the engine ECU. If the ABS lights are on, there are codes set. An alternative is to pull the "blink codes", which you can search out here. As a starter:
    ABS, VSC Lights... Weird!! | PriusChat

That will give you error conditions. Let us know what you find.