1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One time (so far) startup issue

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Donald J, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Donald J

Donald J New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2012 Prius c with ~70k miles on it. Bought new, oil change every year at the longest (6800 mile road trip saw a change prior, midway, and a little bit after), haven't been in for a checkup past that in about 2 years.

I went to start it today and it came up, shifted into gear, and it died. Radio went, A/c was turned off (as in needed to turn it back on when everything eventually worked), dash lit up all lights. Check engine light came on when I tried to restart and it wouldn't come up. There was a slight hum coming from generally behind the steering wheel when I had car int he on position.

My first thought was battery, but the battery was more than half charged, according to the display, and i don't have a meter. Next thought was starter, which I didn't have the ability to fix myself then and there, obviously. I checked fuses, connections, all the basic easy to see things. Nothing. I finally remembered a trick my dad told me about years ago, just in case it was a simple switch or connector or something issue. I popped it into neutral, tried to start it. The dash lights flickered a little but nothing else happened. I popped it back into drive and it started up zero issue. I drove it around for a bit and the battery charges as normal. It has since started up normally twice since then.

What am I looking at here and how concerned in the short term do I need to be?

Thanks in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start with a 12v load test at an auto parts store. is it original?

then have them read the stored trouble codes

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yeah, no starter. so dont think about that.

need to change out that 12v

4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    agreed - 12v battery

The 12v battery is located under the rear seat very near the hybrid battery itself. The 12v battery only serves to "power up" your car. Aftermarket batteries for the Prius C are generally difficult to find. Most likely, you'll end up picking one up at your local dealership. It's not hard to change out yourself. If you choose to do so, make double & triple sure when you reconnect everything that your doing it correctly. ie: Neg to Neg / Pos to Pos Mess that up and you'll be spending some big cash.

dig4dirt likes this.
  5. Donald J

Donald J New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the tips. I'll stop by the dealer monday and see if they have one and time to switch it. I had to scale down and just don't have the tools to do it until i have more space.