1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One-Touch "3-flash" turn signal for lane changes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by came_to_party, Jul 8, 2013.

1. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a gap between the lower dash and the bottom of the steering column. You can see the flasher just behind that bottom dash panel.
    I'm not sure if the emergency flasher and the turn signal flasher are not two separate units. In most other cars they are separate.

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I tap-turn it starts blinking immediately. There is no pause.

3. scottmcphee

scottmcphee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WebElectrics has the delay before the first blink.
    TapTurn flasher has no delay on first blink.
    If you want immediate action when you touch the stalk get Tapturn.

I compared some other things too:
    Both are programmable number of blinks.
    Web electric basically uses a timer so you can get things like 5 and a half blinks happening.
    TapTurn is digital, so you get whole blinks 3 to 6.

It's bizarre ritual to change the Web electric timer to set blinks.
    TapTurn just tap up to increase by one, tap down to decrease by one blink.

I don't think you can stop a Web electric from blinking once it's touched off for a series of blinks.
    Taptap has touch cancel which stops it if you change your mind about signaling a direction.

Seen some posts on other forums where Web electric took out the computer in the car, lucky those people were on warranty and dealer was willing. The insides of that flasher show it was a circuit added on to basically one of the cheap LED flashers on ebay for less than ten bucks. And it created a short with its wiring.

All this to say be aware of what you buy, and you get what you pay for! Maybe less maybe more, good luck.
    Just beware what you get for different prices.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this feature on a Mercedes I used to own (2002 C Class). I never got used to it and ended up clicking it down for a lane change. It's a nice feature, but not something I'd pay extra for.

5. scottmcphee

scottmcphee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish my Mercedes had it. But in 1987 I don't think lane changes were invented yet?

6. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased and installed the Web Electric 1-touch flasher because the price was right and I did not know about the Tap Turn flasher.

You do not have to remove the dash to access the flasher, but it is difficult to find and unplug the wire connector going to it. It is located above the parking brake on the far left (drivers) side. Put the driver seat all the way back and turn your signal on. Then lie on your back and move your hand around up there and you can feel it pulse. It is easier to just remove the wire connector from the flasher by depressing the wire connector release and leave the original flasher attached. It helps to first push the wire in, then depress the connector release and then pull on the connector to disconnect it. Pull the wire down and plug in the new flasher and then zip tie it into place.

It's not a bizarre ritual to program. You tap the right turn signal five consecutive times and wait for it to flash back once. Then you hold the turn signal for the number of flashes you would like (from 2-10). It will then flash your new setting.

I really doubt that a short any where in your turn signals will take out the computer. That's what fuses are for.

I don't see a problem with a digital timer to set the number of blinks. In fact, if for some reason you wanted 3 1/2 blinks you can program it, but you can also program anything from 2 to 8 blinks.

Last, I just tested it to see if there was a delay. There is no delay in the blink when you tap it. It is currently dark, so I could see the turn signal light reflection immediately as I selected it. I hope this helps clear up some of the mis-information.

markrivers and ftl like this.
  7. JasonW

JasonW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is there any way to cancel the flashing once it starts? (such as shifting it the other direction, or, tapping it again?)

Thanks!

-Jason W

8. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To cancel the Web Electric flasher, just push the turn signal lever in the direction it is flashing, but all the way to the detent, and then back to center.

9. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just hold the lever down for 3-flashes, then manually move it back to its center detent...works for me.