1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One year old now and mileage is down

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Slovewell, Aug 11, 2010.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please click on andyprius for more info.

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All your suggestions and comments are right on the button and I agree in Toto. However after being an ultra conservative for about 6 years, suddenly I experienced a 5-7 mpg drop. Why? I assumed my new tires and consoled myself with the fact that I was still getting more than twice the mpg of non-hybrids. THEN, Eureka I came across Pat Wongs inference that: rebooting (resetting) refreshes the Prius computers. So I tried it! Incredibly my mileage was boosted by 7 mpg and I am getting the performance that I had before. Remember that this had gone on for the last 6 months! Not only that, but the 12V also improved. This all has nothing to do with believing ( your words ) but simply a statement of fact. I am now searching for other members who have or can duplicate this phenomena. (?) :D

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds interesting but I'll probably hold off another year or so. Sometime around December/January, we'll do the second transaxle oil change and this will give us two points to estimate the wear rate.

BTW, one NHW11 effect has been traction battery aging but they were an earlier design. I don't know that anyone has tried to quantify traction battery life and profiles in the NHW20 and ZVW30. Maybe after the warranties are over on the ZVW30. <grins>

Bob Wilson

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Bob, After all the intensive and very conscientious research you have done on battery packs, you are willing to wait 4 months to remove ONE little ground wire! Then if you change the tranaxle oil how will you tell which work was responsible for a possible improvement? :D

5. EmuMessenger

EmuMessenger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. I will consider the reboot. For a 400 mile trip, speed limits between 55 and 65 with cruise between 58 and 68, I got about 47 MPG.