1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

One year old Prius C... 2nd Crash :-(

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Petridish38, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Petridish38

Petridish38 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The first car I ever bought brand new. I have owned it for one year now and it has been to the body shop for two separate accidents. Both times the other driver was at fault. I swear this thing is bad luck! Pics don't look that bad, but the damage goes all the way around to the passenger side. So far the damage is $2,300 but that is only for body panels, emblems, and a headlight. They have not taken it apart to look for further damage under the hood and they say the price will likely go up once they do that. I can say that I am glad I am not paying for any of it. The other driver was issued a ticket and her insurance is taking care of things.

I still worry about problems down the road though since she pretty much hit right where the electric motor/transmission is. The whole front end shifted as well. Hope it is just body panels as I never did like the idea of straightening anything structural.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TatumRob

TatumRob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So sorry about your car! Poor little C!! Glad you were not injured at least!!

Hope you can get it repaired soon and back to normal!!

3. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Damned Honda drivers

Lance Coon likes this.
  4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to see you weren't hurt. Hopefully your insurance company doesn't decide to jack up your rates simply because you were in an accident, particularly as the other drivers were at fault.

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What exactly happened in this crash? I can't tell from the pictures provided.

Hope it isn't too bad to get it fixed.

6. Petridish38

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I hope they don't increase my rates either. They have been known to increase rates based on a general increase in crashes that occur in a certain area. Hopefully they don't single me out. I doubt they will.

7. Petridish38

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Thanks. Luckily i'm not paying for any of the repairs. What a way to kill that brand new car feeling though... and I have 5 more years of payments on it.

Here is the diagram in the police report. Woman driving Vehicle 1 "doesn't remember" if she stopped at the stop sign or not and probably didn't realize I was there until we collided. I was in Vehicle 2. My direction of travel did not have a stop sign or other traffic control. When I saw her coming I hit the brakes and activated ABS. The roads were wet so the brakes weren't of much use at that point. I know it could have been much worse. Thanks all for your concern!

Capture.JPG

ftl likes this.
  8. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's what it looked like with that stop sign right there in the photon.

You were already in for repairs once, that's probably the biggest/fastest devaluation hit you're gonna take on a car. Getting hit more mostly means you get to try all sorts of cool rental cars. The only way to lessen the devaluation is to keep the car longer, so 5 more years of payments isn't necessarily a bad thing at this point. Hopefully there are no other sort of lingering issues, make sure to use a good reliable shop that backs their work.

Got hit a few times in my last car, one was just a month or two after I bought it. Problem was that the parts diagrams that the techs had weren't even labeled yet, and they took a couple of days going back and forth with the manufacturer to get the part numbers needed. Buying a new model car on the first day it's made available isn't always the best thing to do. Second time was an uninsured driver, which meant I payed my $500 deductible out of pocket to repair my own vehicle for something someone else did. Of course my Prius was dented and scratched by another driver as well, but that's a whole different thread.

Petridish38 likes this.

9. This is another reason why I don't like deductibles. I have mine set to the minimum possible...I don't care how much the cost of my insurance plan goes up. When I had my accident last month, the other driver slid on the slush in the road and plowed into my car so hard that the entire front of my car was destroyed. I had to buy another new car. My insurance rate did not change as a result of this accident. But I don't work for an insurance agency, I just know that it's a lot of little details that go into deciding by how much (or if) your rate increases.

Anyway, there's enough info on the Prius c out there if you take it to a dealer you trust, they pretty much restore it like it's new. I know the feeling of "it's not new anymore" really sucks but it could be worse, and once they repair it to "like new" you'll feel a lot better.

TatumRob likes this.
  10. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    IMHO a person should set their deductibles to a dollar value that they can realistically cough up when the SHTF. Buying insurance is gambling, and picking your deductibles is part of placing your bets.

Really ought to look into what the price drop would be for raising mine again. Have only had to pay out once in all my years, but, then again, maybe I'm about due.

11. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I figured that's what happened. The stop sign in the background of the first picture was confusing me, though.

I personally have mine maxed out at $1000. The difference between no deductible and $1000 is enough that I save $1000 after a year and a half (being under 25 sucks for insurance rates). I've never had to file a claim so far, my provider must love people like me. :p

12. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Proud to say I've been to 5 accidents already :-(
    I just got it from the dealership, and it was my first day behind the wheel. Somebody hit my fender and ran.
    Then 2 months later a commercial track hits me in the back at the traffic light.

After having the car repaired i almost right away got hit in the back by a cabbie who tried to beat the traffic light.
    Week later got stuck in the snow for the entire night and had to be rescued.

After that I hit something (must have been a curb, perhaps) which caused the damage to the wheel and the rocker.

TheyCmeNow and Petridish38 like this.
  13. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to see that! :( I'm glad it wasn't too serious and everyone is ok.

TatumRob likes this.
  14. TDog

TDog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I switched my deductibles from $500 to $100, and the difference was less than $10/month.

TatumRob likes this.
  15. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So as long as you have a chargeable crash in the next four years you'll be ahead.:p

16. Petridish38

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I went by to take a look at the car taken apart. Things look pretty good frame-wise and as far as the electric motor/transmission/inverter are concerned. Condenser and radiator appear to be unscathed although we will see if I have AC come this summer. They say the car should be ready by the end of this week/early next week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TatumRob and TC400 like this.
  17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hey look, the C2 has the hood insulation.

Rob.au and TatumRob like this.
  18. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Black cars in murky conditions maybe?

Habanero can't be missed!

Fauxknight, TatumRob and ztanos like this.
  19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Except by drivers that think you have a stop sign and you don't and aren't paying enough attention to care... until it's too late. My last car was this:
    [​IMG]
    I got into 4 accidents in parking lots... where I was in a spot and the car next to me didn't see my car and pulled out too far to the side... My poor doors... luckily I was in the car all 4 times. Oy.

TatumRob likes this.
  20. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    no matter the color...careless drivers will be careless

Rob.au, orenji, TheyCmeNow and 3 others like this.