1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ongoing problem - air in brake system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Eoin, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had to take my 2010 Prius in twice now for brake bleeding due to tooting or barking sounds when I brake. Bleeding eliminates the problem for a few months but it is now starting again. When I brake hard I get this noise. The dealer thought there was no need to replace the actuator but I think it probably should be replaced. The car has 45k miles, but the problem was reported before the warranty expired at 36k. I also have the extended warranty. The dealer thinks there is no problem if there are no warning lights or codes. Should I just live with it or go back with the problem in case it gets worse? I appreciate any advice.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would go back and have them listen to what it is doing and of course document it. CYA.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the replies. So far, I only get the barking noise when I brake very hard. I will see if it gets any worse and if it does I will take it in to the dealer and insist they fix it, not just bleed it again.

5. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The latest news is that I took the car into the dealer and the mechanic has determined the brakes are not normal, air is getting into the system. The dealer called Toyota in Torrance and they are sending a rep to look at the car tomorrow. Probably will get a new actuator. I hope this solves the problem. I really like the car.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's good news, at least you have their attention. Hope they get it fixed for you soon.

7. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. I got a call that they will replace the actuator, but under the extended warranty, not the original. It is a big job - 5 and a half hours and $2,400. Glad my wife insisted on the extended warranty. I hope this does solve the problem with the brakes. We never got a warranty on the 2005 Prius and it has been perfect so far with 125k miles.

Truth is it should be replaced under the original warranty since the actuator was never right. I first reported it before 15k miles. They just bled the brakes as a temporary "fix".

1 person likes this.
  8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Then why wait until 45k to get it fixed if bleeding eliminated the problem for only a few months? Most of us would take it back immediately to get it permanently fixed, but I guess you waited because you had time on your side with extended warranty.

9. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For a while it would go away and I thought the problem solved, but then it would come back. I asked to have the actuator replaced but the dealer insisted on bleeding, saying that usually solved the problem. It would be ok for a while and then start again. I've only had the car less than two years and time goes fast. The dealer seemed determined to avoid replacing the actuator (it is a big job) They even said they replaced one 3 times and didn't solve the barking noise problem. So yes, they should have done it before, but there was a lot of resistance. Anyway, it should be done tomorrow.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't, you should still file a report with the NHTSA.

11. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the car back and the brakes feel very different. The pedal is tighter and there are no pumping and squishy noises, let alone tooting from air noises. There is no doubt that I had a bad actuator/vacuum pump from the beginning. Repair was $2,400 - covered under the extended warranty my wife convinced me, reluctantly, to buy. I think it will be fine now in terms of air in the system, but I won't know for sure for about 6 months. My conclusions are:
    1. Take the car in before the 36k warranty expires and insist on the necessary repairs - don't let them just "bleed the brakes"
    2. Do buy the extended warranty because repairs are outrageously expensive.
    3. Toyota needs to improve its formerly stellar quality control. I never had the slightest problem with a Tercel for 15 years or with my 2005 Prius.
    4. I really missed the car over 4 days and I'm glad for every "extra" I got - leather seats, steering wheel, sat radio, navigation, sunroof, etc. These things are what make driving a pleasure and are well worth it to me.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great, I'm glad you got it fixed and that they honored your extended warranty.

You had better luck than I did. I tried to get my engine under cover replaced (oil change door broke off) and they (Toyota not the local dealer) refused to fix it using my Toyota platinum extended warranty.

13. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. Sorry they won't cover your problem. I hope it is not serious.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No the problem is not serious at all, I have a temporary fix that will now be my permanent fix. :) Besides that the part is only a couple of hundred dollars and I could replace it myself if I wanted to.

The real issue for me was they should have honored the warranty and the only thing they seemed interested in was sleazing out of it. I really hope I don't have a serious (expensive ) problem because I don't think the warranty coverage is reliable.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't really believe in your #2 and 3. Parts tend to be either defective and fail early (as in your case) or they last for a long time. Early failure defective parts would be covered by the standard warranty and are not necessarily a sign of quality control if they're rare.

16. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have found in talking with dealers that it is very helpful to mention that you post a lot on Prius Chat. Just saying....

17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They weren't being sleazy. The brochure clearly stated that cosmetic panels or body panels are excluded. Therefore an underbody cover probably wouldn't be covered.

MB860 ?

18. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought the same thing. Clearly, the actuator was defective from the start. However, how to convince Toyota to replace it? They would bleed the system, the tooting noise is gone and, voila, the car is "fixed". And it would be, for a few months. Then it comes back. The situation is not cut and dried. So I am glad I got the extended warranty for just such a problem. After all, how could I prove the actuator needed replacing instead of just needed a bleeding?

As for the quality control issue, quite a few people on PC have had this actuator problem besides me.

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Parts that are defective from the beginning are the easiest to get fixed as the car can only be in the shop for so many times thanks to the lemon law. It's not really a case for extended warranty and you simply weren't proactive enough as you had extended warranty coverage.

20. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bad news. The "grunt" sound is back when I brake hard. Not all the time, but some of the time. It sounds like air being released. I don't think it is the sound of ABS. This is a new actuator. Could there be a leak in the system? Should I just live with it?