1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Online dating

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by qbee42, Jul 21, 2009.

1. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I understand that guys... this was more a hurt created by being utterly and completely replaced within a week or two.

Didn't skip a beat.... Went back to an old girlfriend and just picked up where we left off. It really opened my eyes to how little *I* mattered in the equation. It matters not who it is just so long as someone's there.

Lesson learned man... lesson learned.

2. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :bounce:

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that Pat's a funny guy. :)

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe but then he'd just want to touch everything. Hmm I am going kinda blind too. Damn Lasik....

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, F8L, since I HAVE met and talked to you IRL, my opinion would be that she just was TERRIFIED that she was going to fall way too hard for you, and she wasn't ready for that level of relationship yet.

:nod:

You are a charmer.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BAH! You're just way too sweet. ;)

7. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Me thinks the guy wasn't over the old girlfriend in the first place. You weren't really "replaced" as he wasn't really available.

Oh... the stories I could tell about my on-line dating experiences; I seriously could write a book! One of my dates went like this...

We met, had a drink and talked. He excused himself to go to the bathroom, came back and said... "you know... this just isn't going to work for me." I said "okay, thanks for letting me know and good luck to you." Then he added... "unless of course you just want to have sex and then I'm okay with that." I replied... "you ASSUME I'd even want to have sex with you... and you know what... this just isn't going to work for me either."

While I totally understood there wasn't an attraction on one level and I really, REALLY was okay with his honesty and not wasting either his or my time, I certainly didn't appreciate the disrespect he also showed.

I think some people have totally forgotten what manners are and how to apply them.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, these types of situations go both ways. I dated a girl for 3 months or so before she started blowing me off... we didn't break up so much as just stop talking all together. No warning, no "hey, this isn't working out for me anymore". 6 months later, i see on facebook that she's engaged to her ex.

9. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay, my "best" online dating story:

I met up with the guy at the Troubadour since his cousin was playing there that night. Before the music started our conversation consisted almost entirely of him practically re-enacting scenes from Animal House. Thankfully the band came on to play. Then we were hanging out upstairs in the private area with some of his friends. He went over to use the bathroom, which was across the room about 30 feet away from us. It was occupied (single unisex bathroom) so he came back over and sat down. While we were sitting there a woman started standing by the bathroom door. When the person came out of the bathroom and that woman started to go in he yelled across the room "Hey I was waiting for that! Hey! Hey!! Wait your turn, I was waiting." Boy oh boy...

Then after he's done his business and comes back I'm going to tell him I'm leaving, and his friends want to go somewhere else for a drink so he invites me to go. I told him no thanks, I'm just going to go, this isn't happening for me. He gets a bit upset telling me I didn't even give him a chance over and over. He just didn't have a clue.

I think that was my worst date ever!

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like the guy was a real dick. I'm completely upfront and honest with my relationships, saves everybody a lot of time and trouble

Remember, you should be in charge when it comes to a relationship

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did a double take, she actually looks like one of my friends with benefits

Except she has no need for that instruction manual

;)

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Certainly true in my case. The four of us are one big happy group, and yes we can actually go somewhere as just 2, or even all 4, without it degrading into an orgy

After 7 years, no signs of it breaking up either. I think it's really important that the guy be mature enough to know how to act and react in this situation

13. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Jay... I think you're correct in that one has to be mature and may I add, non-possessive as well as very secure with one's self, to have a friends with benefits type of relationship. If everything is mutual and open and communicated, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

While I've had several such relationships in my life, I never actually went out with all of them at one time. Would you consider your friends with benefits group as a form of polyamourism?

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good point. Now that you mention it, yes, I do consider my group to be like that

Few outside our group are aware of what we are up to. Many express disbelief that we can make it work, especially as long as we have

15. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a long, well thought out response all typed in and then lost it.

:twitch: <------ That's all I remember from it.

To sum up:
    Jay - I don't want to be in charge, being in charge sucks, I want some sort of fairy tale "we" business. Hell with it anyway.... friends are better. No friends with bennys for me though, goes against my religion of "I dun wanna".

Eagle- I know it's cliche but you are better off without her. My dog has better communicado skills than that.

eclect - I agree. I always had this nagging feeling that he had "real" relationships going on somewhere else. Like his x wife and girlfriend. He would tell her all about me, but never seemed to share stuff with me about the rest of the people in his life.
    I seriously wish them the best and kick myself for getting tangled up in that sort of drama in the first place. My 14 year old pointed out that it reminded him of how his friends relationships go...

*insert twitch here*
    :twitch:

16. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In The Big Chill --

The Mary Kay Place character took a deep breath & said something like:
    "I've been dating for ____ years ..... "

How many 'years' was it?
    Was she talking to Tom Berenger?
    Did she find happiness in her 2 hours on-screen?

Just tossing some questions into the ozone....

..... now that I've dated myself ... :hippie:

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not trying to pop any emotionally wrenching bubbles here, but ... that *is* a fairy tale

I think its important that you recognize that, before you start seeking out relationships. Why is it important? More for your emotional well being than others

Hope I'm not coming across as too blunt, but that is the way the 'ole world works

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you don't take care of your own emotional well being, you can't help with anyone else's. Think of it as being like oxygen masks on an airplane: you put yours on first, and only then help the person next to you. Otherwise you pass out and can't help anyone.

Tom

19. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Errr...
    I think we might be talking about two different things.
    I'm talking about being tired of dating men who look to me to make all the decisions in the relationship.

I prefer relationships where both people work together to make the decisions. Hence don't wanna be "in charge".

I don't need a second teen, I got one. ;)

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Again, I hate to pop any emotional bubbles, but most of us guys are like that. Better get used to it