1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only 38mpg and lights on the dash related?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Iketorz, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey everybody, I've been reading a lot on this forum the last month or two and only signed up recently after buying my first Prius so this is my first post.

The lights on the dash (ABS, Traction Control, Brake light) seem to come on for a lot of reasons from what I've read, but the one fed me by the previous owner with documentation to prove it was an alignment job at a tire shop that didn't have the Toyota ABS reset tool. I have to believe them I guess.

My 2010 Prius IV with 105,000 miles has those three dash lights on and it doesn't seem to affect operation at all except for two things that are happening at the same time, either by coincidence or not:

1) The cruise control refuses to turn on, or turns on and instantly turns off.
    2) The MPG seems substantially lower than what everybody else here is getting.

With both I've already checked all the fuses under the hood and they're all fine. It drives great in all conditions, plenty of power, HV battery seemingly in good condition. Went to Advance Auto Parts and it showed no engine codes, but they can't read the ABS codes.

I'd read from a few people on this forum that the 12v battery might cause this so I changed the original 12v battery out 2 weeks ago for a new Optima Yellow Top. The original battery had lasted 8 years in Florida, which is a miracle on its own, and it was losing enough charge to need a jump after 2 days.

Seemingly no difference in MPG after the new Optima, but the MPG has gradually increased since we've owned the car, probably from getting used to "drive it like a Prius." When we first bought it we were only getting 34mpg. Now it's up to 38.7mpg as of this writing with maybe 600 miles on the car since owning it.

I'm the kind of guy who already coasts a lot, lifts off the gas way before stoplights, and exceeds the mpg ratings of my other cars, so I don't think this is a user error issue. I've tried pulse and glide plenty as well.

Having read the "insert paper clip into OBD2 connector in ready mode" trick to reset the lights on this forum many times, I tried that a dozen times or so, including various permutations of hitting the brake 8 times in 5 seconds. Nothing changed. I'm convinced it only works on Prius Gen2, not Gen3, unless somebody with a Gen3 can say otherwise.

I drove a friend's 2012 Prius IV for the same 2 mile loop I do with stop and go traffic to the grocery store. His has about 100,000 miles on it and regularly gets 46-50mpg. A few takeaways:

1) It allowed me to go up to 35mph using only the electric motor. Mine never gets above 25mph before doing that. Because of that I was operating all-electric for much longer.

2) His HV battery indicator remained near the top that entire drive. Our car would have already dropped the HV battery to 2 bars left by the end of that driving loop.

3) The brakes on his car were much touchier than mine. Maybe just different pads, but maybe his car the pads are farther away from the discs, less drag etc. I've lifted the rear of my car and they don't seem to drag much. With a decent shove the wheels will rotate 4 times before stopping.

4) The tire sidewalls on his car seemed far stiffer and squarer than ours. I noticed the sidewalls on our low-rolling-resistance tires bulge more than they probably should, so I aired them up to 40-42psi. They still have more bulge to them than what I think they should. Makes me wonder if the car had been left in a lot for a long time and the tires deflated to 20psi or lower and the car was driven like that and flexed the sidewalls to the point where they're not stiff anymore. That would be a big increase to rolling resistance, but I don't know how much mpg it costs.

I hopped out of his car having gotten 46mpg on that trip. I would have done only 34-35mpg in my car on that same short trip.

So needless to say I want the lights off the dash regardless, but they may not be a clue of why our Prius gets such low mpg. I don't want to go to a dealer unless I absolutely have to. I've had old cars for the last 25 years and I only very rarely don't fix everything myself. I'm talking full engine rebuilds in my garage. I'll take it to an independent mechanic if necessary but don't know how common it is for them to have Toyota-specific ABS reader and reset tools. I found a $160 Toyota ABS scan tool on ebay that seems like it might be worth the investment but I can't verify it works so hesitant to buy it.

So ideas? Thanks!

#1 Iketorz, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Pluggo likes this.
  2. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll write a TLDR version too:

2010 Prius IV, 105,000 miles

Problem:
    1) I have the ABS, Traction, Brake lights on (bought car like this)
    2) Cruise control doesn't work
    3) I get only 38mpg

Checks:

1) Changed 12v battery for new,
    2) Checked it has no codes,
    3) Drive it smoothly
    4) Only real visible cause is tires seem to have really flexible, bulgy sidewalls compared to friend's car at same inflation pressure
    5) Drove friend's 2012 Prius and got 46 mpg doing the same things I do. His car will run electric motor up to 35mph vs my car only doing 25mph before turning on engine.

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You have bad wheel bearing but which one.I would buy an abs scanner from harbor freight

4. Eddy Connelly

Eddy Connelly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm pretty sure when the abs light is illuminated, the regenerative brakes are disabled. That means your HV battery isn't getting charged as much as it should. That would account for both mpg loss and battery capacity loss. This happened to me when I left my bluetooth obd2 adapter connected and drove around. This would also explain why the pedal feels different to a prius without the issue. I'd also consider checking into wheel speed sensors as I believe they play an integral part of the braking system.

#4 Eddy Connelly, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ I think Eddy called it. Your regen system is offline, the brakes feel different with the friction system operating exclusively, and you can't recycle that energy. Impressive that you're still getting 38 with half the hybrid functions disabled.

Eddy Connelly likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ideas, yes.

First you should NEVER buy any used vehicle where the seller says "It only needs......(anything)", making it sound like it is a trivial matter.
    Because if it WAS really a trivial matter, he would have already fixed it.

While watching your gas mileage, are you resetting the display occasionally.......or are you still looking at a long term average ?
    The long term average will change VERY slowly and not give you a good picture of what is happening NOW.

Finally, your post is too long. I lost interest about half way through.

Grit likes this.
  7. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for your advice. Does that mean I should see the charge indicator increase when I hit the brakes? When I lift off the gas it starts charging and when I put it in B mode it charges substantially more, but yeah I haven't I seen the charge increase when I hit the brakes.

8. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I appreciate the advice but your tone makes you seem more interested in teaching me a lesson than helping.

1) I've been fixing cars for 25 years. This is not a problem.

2) Been driving 25 years, so yes I know this basic information.

3) I put a TLDR right after the post for people who thought it was too long. You not reading explains the other parts of your comment.

kc5dlo likes this.
  9. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I appreciate the concurring opinion on that. The theory really does make sense. I guess I'll be feeling around on the wheel speed sensors to see if there's an issue. I'll definitely check out that ABS reader from Harbor Freight that Tankuong suggested if it can do all the resets too.

10. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get a scangauge or an OBDII scanner and and an app connects to it and see what the car does. That is way more informative than the little status screen in the car.
    If regen braking is disabled like Eddy suspects, you'll see that in an instant when braking.

11. Eddy Connelly

Eddy Connelly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It depends how long you are braking for, as most of the time the battery just gets charged over the span of a few braking sessions along with the ICE helping. B mode uses the ICE to assist in slowing the vehicle, so that's probably why you get the bump in charge then. Are the lights illuminated immediately when you start the car or is it after you start to drive a little?

12. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes the lights are illuminated all the time. Immediately on startup and never turning off. Will hopefully have that Harbor Freight Zurich scan tool in hand today.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take it into a dealership, they'll hook it up to Techstream, read/record the codes, clear them, and hopefully set your car back to normal. I'm thinking it's only a communication problem in the brake system, and the car's reverted to a sort-of fail-safe mode.

My experience, about 4 years back:

I had a ScanGauge constantly hooked up to the OBD port. Then, with increasing frequency, I started getting the "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" alert, plus all the brake lights (you mentioned) pop up. And: it felt like the brakes were "gone", until I'd realize, nope they're still there, but they sure feel weird. Sort of like they were "working to rule". They worked, but needed more of a push, didn't feel right.

I took the car in on 3 occasions for this, and the last time, the mechanic noted his techstream connection was intermittently dropping, just wiggling the cord. His prognosis: the obd plug in had a slightly loose connection, maybe aggravated by the constant ScanGauge connection. He suggested disconnecting the SG and see what happens.

I took his suggestion, three years later no repeats of this behavior, everything ok.

Bottom line: take it in, have them check it out. Post the codes they find too.

Here's my notes from the first time it happened (last bit left in for a laugh):

====
    Saturday, August 30, 2014
    km: 46351
    * Warning "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" and yellow triangle with exclamation came on, at start up. I was backing out of garage, with light touch on the brakes. It felt for a moment like there was less braking, then the warnings came on.
    * Took it into OpenRoad Toyota Pomo: They recorded and clear codes and test drove, say appears ok now. They say something about "computer loosing contact with brakes" is one of the codes. They advise to just drive, keep an eye on it.
    * Codes: U0129, C2121, C2122, C2123, C2124, 00073, U0293
    * Looking on internet:

C2121 thru C2124 mean loss of signal from the TPMS sensors.
    U0129 is Lost Communication With Brake System Control Module
    U0293 LOST COMMUNICATION WITH HV ECU

Note: While driving the car away from dealership, something under the hood started rattling badly. Drove back, parked on the street with engine running lifted hood: to find the rod that holds the hood up not put away properly rattling on the engine!
    ====

14. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To avoid dealer fees and since i wanted the tool for other cars anyway, I got the Zurich ZR11 which is capable of scanning and resetting OBDII and ABS codes.

I got codes c1203 (ECM communication circuit malfunction) and c1345 (Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning Undone) and tried doing a reset that I found buried in another thread involving the #12 TS pin to CG on the OBDII port instead of the #13 TC pin to CG. On my car the TS and CG pins are both the 5th from the right. I did this as a combination of threads I read on 4Runners and Priuses since this information was not all in one place.

1: Put the car on flat ground (Of all the jumper wire tutorials I saw on Priuses, this was mentioned in just one of them yet seems absolutely critical).
    2: Put 2 wires (or paperclips) in the TS and CG pin holes.
    3: Push power button twice on Prius dash without pressing brake. You want "on" not "ready"
    4: Tap the wires/paperclip together 4 times in 8 seconds. Lights on dash should start flashing in odd patterns. Let that go on for maybe 10 seconds.
    5: Turn off car
    6: Connect those two wires or paperclips together
    7: Push power button twice on dash without pressing brake. Lights will flash and you'll hear ABS actuator depressing pistons in sequence. Wait until it stops pressing ABS pistons (you'll hear it) and light pattern changes on dash.
    8: Push power button to turn off car
    9: Start car normally and drive car straight for 25mph or more for at least 10 seconds.

The good: Doing this I managed to get 1203 to go away, which previously had not cleared on its own with the Zurich scantool without coming back immediately.

The bad: The dash lights are still there, c1345 refuses to go away and I'm pretty sure the regenerative braking still isn't working (it appears I've never experienced it with this car in its first 600 miles with me).

So yeah I'm hoping there's some other trick that's a modified version of the TC/CG pin ground that may fix the rest.

I've also read this points toward the ABS solenoid system or the Yaw sensor, but hell I'm sure it could be more. Ideas? Thanks!

#14 Iketorz, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    kc5dlo likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know, but I'd have to doubt that the ABS solenoids would have anything to do with it. They're there to support the hydraulic ABS system- the friction brakes. The regenerative braking system has its own ABS, which doesn't need solenoids. Note that both systems depend on data from the same wheel speed sensors.

You should be able to read the output of the yaw sensor from techstream and potentially other OBD tools. Drive a figure-8 while recording the yaw data and... well honestly I'm not sure what that data should look like, but hopefully it will reflect the two circles driven, one in each direction.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's true if you've ruled out the Repair Manual as a place to look. If you're willing to look there, it has the information. :)

That procedure is for clearing existing settings (at the end of that procedure, the car will be sure to be complaining that it needs to learn the solenoid offset). It seems like your settings have already been cleared (the car is already asking for the solenoid learn procedure).

That's the end of the offset learning procedure right there. The offset should be all learned at that point.

One step I didn't see you list there was to make sure the parking brake is released for all of this. That's the only time jumpering Ts+CG means to learn the solenoid offset. Jumpering the same two pins when the parking brake is applied means something else.

That's part of a different procedure, "SENSOR CHECK USING TEST MODE (SIGNAL CHECK)". It's also in the manual, there's nothing wrong with doing it, but it shouldn't be necessary just to learn the solenoid offsets. If you do want to do the sensor check, be sure to follow the exact sequence in the manual (enter the test mode, do acceleration sensor check, then master cylinder pressure check, then speed sensor check, then yaw sensor check) ... if you stray from the sequence, the car won't say the checks passed.

The best idea I can offer is that when you arrange your reading so more of it is in the Repair Manual and less of it is Mr. Google, you get more information that's coherent and complete.

-Chap

17. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah I can see your rationale there but this is based off of a few threads I've read where somebody came in with the same issues I have, did that jumper procedure I outlined, and their car ended up having all problems go away at that point, so I had to try it.

Interestingly after doing that procedure I got my cruise control working now, so I've got that going for me.

I'm interested in that Techstream setup but I guess I have to buy more stuff to set that up. I might have access to a windows laptop but everything I have is macs. Is there a usable version of Techstream that doesn't cost $55 for 48 hours just to access the software?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $65 now, I see. Well, it did stay the same for several years....

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still researching techstream myself, haven't bought in yet. I do already have a junky windows laptop that I got from a pawn shop for $100. Keeps my mac from getting greasy! I also have a few interface cables for my other cars. One of them is cross-compatible to the Toyota, so now in theory I only need the software but I haven't worked out the right way to do it.

I've done a little more reading on the prius braking system, and there's even more to it than I expected, and I expected a lot. At this point you're getting better information from @ChapmanF so I'm joining you on the learning end of it.

20. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I appreciate the advice. Thankfully what I did solved at least three of the problems with the car, which is the goal here.

I'm pretty used to solving things with Mr. Google and car forums because it's worked for me for quite a long time when repair manuals were either vague to the point of being pointless or seriously underexplained the wide implications of a single trouble code. People's personal experience repairing things tends to be more nuanced and real-world compared to the manual. It's just a bit of a learning curve here where the self-repair community is much less robust than for other cars I've owned.

Back to the problem at hand: Which "the manual" are you talking about? There are quite a few available. I'm new to this car and community so I don't know the common inside info. There are quite a few cars I can rebuild with my eyes closed but this isn't one of them yet since I've only had it for 2 months, but I'm getting there.