1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only 38mpg and lights on the dash related?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Iketorz, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  2. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I appreciate the links for the part sources. It's bizarre that the 2010-15 Prius skid control ECU is basically unsearchable on the internet. It turns out it's part of the brake actuator assembly (thanks ChapmanF).

I now know the brake actuator/booster might be subject to this new "customer support program" which looks like a recall to me, applying to my year of car. I don't know if they'd replace the brake actuator/skid control at the same time though.

3. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FIXED:

So here’s the epilogue to this: Finally took the car to the dealer (an Autonation Toyota) to see if the ZJB customer support program applies. First time ever having one of my cars repaired at one, and I’ve been driving old cars almost 25 years. Well, it worked.

They said my car didn’t have any of the 4 brake codes covered by the program but since it had another code that applied to the brake booster/pump, they would replace it anyway. That was a major relief. Anyway, they replaced those parts (which the brake computer “skid control” module is built into) and everything works!

We now have regenerative braking for the first time ever while owning this car. Wife and I had gotten our average up to about 43mpg in mostly city use before the fix. I’ll report back how it does the next few tanks.

Moral of the story: get your car checked for the ZJB program. Even if you think it might not apply, they might fix your car for free.

Shout out to Eddy (who was right on the money right away about the regenerative brakes being offline), Chapman, McCoalroller, Mendel, Ray and everybody else who helped me on the way to fixing this.

#43 Iketorz, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've been watching Hamish Macbeth. Just judging from your avatar, you might want to give it a wee look.

5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to hear the dealer worked it out.
    Prius are a tough cookie to crack sometimes.

I didnt realize this thread was a year old reading thru it (wondering how i missed it?!?!?)

Anywho, I was gonna recommend braking in neutral to see if there was any noticeable
    difference to see if regen was working or not (vrs braking in "D" drive)

* I thought I would post in case future readers were wondering if their regen was working or not.

6. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mendel, Yeah I’m a big fan of Robert Carlyle. I appreciate the suggestion.

Dig4dirt, yeah my suspicions definitely peaked when I drove my friend’s Prius.

Just so everyone knows, if your regenerative brakes are working, you should be able to max out the charge bar to the left. If it’s not working, on deceleration it’s only going to barely move to the left.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not quite right on either point.
    Most single "normal" stops won't increase the battery charge by very much.
    And if the regen braking is not working at all.......there will be NO charge added and the graph won't move at all.

Grit likes this.
  8. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Holy hell you again...

1) Yes, every single time you hit the brakes the charge bar is going to move and usually a lot. In 100 miles of driving since fixing the regen I have yet to experience a condition where I can’t max out the charge bar with the brakes.

2) If your regen is broken and you’re coasting to a stop from any decent speed the charge indicator will light up slightly from the momentum of your car putting some charge through the motor.

I literally have driven the car in these conditions, regen broken and working, in the past week.

Sam, you need to stop doing this contrarian thing, man. Literally every reply you’ve made in this post is either intentionally pessimistic, needlessly condescending or just plain factually wrong. I’m beginning to wonder whether you have a Prius.

2012 Prius v wagon 3 likes this.
  9. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Possible HV battery end of life?

10. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ? Car’s running great now

dig4dirt likes this.
  11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How DARE you disagree with his perfect analysis and superior intellect.

In 10 years of owning 4 Prius C's, I have never been able to put a SIGNIFICANT charge back into the battery with a single stop........unless the stop started at that top of a 6% down grade that ended a couple of miles later.

And by definition, putting charge into the battery with the motor IS regenerative braking.
    If that is happening at all, then the regen braking is still working a little bit.

When people stop making outrageous claims, I will stop contradicting them. (y)

dig4dirt likes this.
  12. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    hence the HV quick charge if batt is close to dead

And im not too familiar with Florida elevation, but last time I thought it was roughly flat

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I live on one of the Florida "mountains". I think the elevation is about 300 feet. :ROFLMAO:
    But my Prius does make it to Georgia sometimes.

14. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What do you mean with the "charge bar"? The thing labeled "charge zone" in the picture below, or the vertical SOC bar to the left of that (above ODO)?

[​IMG]

15. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes the charge zone, the one that moves to the left when you hit the brakes. I wasn’t talking about the battery level indicator in any way.

#55 Iketorz, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  16. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You misread what I wrote and then twisted it to act like I was "wrong." I was talking about the CHG zone, not the battery state of charge indicator.

I was talking about the charge indicator moving to the left (hence my use of key words such as “charge” and “to the left”), not the battery level (hence my having not used the words “battery level” or "state of charge" at all).

I thought that referring to the charge indicator moving to the left (since it’s literally the only gauge on the MFD that does that) was enough to be clear but it appears I was mistaken.

I just put that in as an aside to help other Prius owners and you turned it into an opportunity to be condescending again, and you weren’t even right. I don’t get what your deal is but you aren’t a helpful person.

#56 Iketorz, Nov 7, 2019
  17. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's no HV quick charge happening. The vertical battery level (or charge level) doesn't fluctuate very quickly. I was just talking about the horizontal gauge that goes left (CHG side) to right (PWR side). I was talking about how the brake causes it to move. I'm talking about the CHG in that picture up there moving when you hit the brakes.

To further clarify, there is nothing wrong with the car right now (I literally just got it back from the dealer and posted a comment about how everything is working now), and I was just putting that aside on the end of my comment so that other Prius drivers would know how to diagnose inoperative regenerative braking.

#57 Iketorz, Nov 7, 2019
    dig4dirt likes this.
  18. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A little bit more understandable (not gonna read previous pages/posts)

Now, before the fix (with no regen happening), did that CHG side ever work?
    just curious.

19. Iketorz

Iketorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes it always showed a little charging whenever I decelerated just from the momentum of the car

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You need to check the definition of "condescending" again.

It seems that your phrasing left more than just me with a misunderstanding.
    My comments caused you to clarify and that in itself certainly is helpful.

NOW.......if there was just something I could do fix your attitude...........

Maarten28 likes this.