1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only a hybrid owner would understand...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kkister1492, Jun 9, 2005.

1. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

I had a truly geek moment today.

I have heard that the first 5 minutes of operation are the least fuel efficient. Well, I have a 10-minute commute and the best I've seen is 50 mpg for the first 5 minutes and about 75 for the second. ( My trip to work is mostly downhill)

This morning my son drove my husband to the airport and returned just in time for me to go to work, so the engine was as warmed up as it was going to get. Wow! What a difference. My first 5 minutes showed about 85 mpg and the second 99 !!

I was so excited! Why, oh why, didn't I spring for a camera phone? :roll:

2. rcroft

rcroft New Member

So what do you get on the drive home?

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

50, 75, 85, 99? Wow, how did you do that?

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is about what my trip to work is like:
    1st 5 min - 40-50 mpg
    2nd 5min - 79 mpg
    3rd - 5th - 99 mpg

On the way home I usually lose about 0.2 mpg of the gain I got to going to work due to going up hill.

5. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Well, my trip home is typically in the 28 range as it is all uphill. Really messes up my average. Makes me want to not go home. My family refuses to pick me up at the bottom of the hill. They just don't care. Actually, my 18-year-old son says I'm obsessed (or was it pathetic?) Like he isn't obsessed with paintball guns and stereos.....

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha. I skipped lunch today because I forgot to bring some and did not want to drive 5 miles to the restaraunt because it would reduce my fuel efficiency. :p Luckily, my desk has a pogie-bait drawer I can munch on until I get home.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi\";p=\"97032)</div>
    Ok now THIS goes too far.... :mrgreen:

Conversely, I make it a point to get out for lunch, because I no longer have to worry about gas mileage bills!

8. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

When I go out for lunch, I like to pick places just a little bit farther away from work than the others so I don't take as big a hit. Or else I go to Subway just down the street and try to make it all in EV mode. So silly but it is a nice break in my day and a very relaxing one. Anybody remember bio-feedback?