1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Only Ford Vehicles allowed in Dearborn Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by San_Carlos_Jeff, Jan 27, 2006.

1. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree I think it's a misguided attempt to get some enthuiasm for their products.

Rather than something like this I'd love to see an article about how Ford managment is interviewing all employees that don't drive Ford products. If, after all the employee discounts, someone still doesn't drive a Ford they must have some serious issues with it. Then the feedback should be sent back up the chain of command to help rectify the issues and develop better cars and trucks.

2. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now that is an idea that would should people that they care why people don't drive Ford.

Personally, it seems silly to try and force them to drive Ford. The people who don't drive are going to feel even more alienated.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can tell you from experience this goes way back. Not “official†Ford policy but enforced none the less. During my grandfathers and fathers time (my dad only worked summers) and the late 60’s when I worked at a Ford assembly plant. Park a VW or something at a UAW lot at any of the US companies and the first day you loose your tires the second time you come back to a stripped car. Cars from competing US firms were “tolerated†as long as they were built in the US. They have tools in those places and the supervisors would look the other way while a few workers did a little work on your car. Ford has a vacation spot in Northern Michigan for employees and even into the 80’s if you had a import you parked off site and walked in.

4. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a private company and they are allowed create and enforce whatever stupid rules they want.

I worked at a company once that required you to be a member of the NRA in order to be eligible for your quarterly bonus.

Andy

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Park a VW or something at a UAW lot at any of the US companies and the first day you loose your tires the second time you come back to a stripped car."

And this attitude of punishing the innocents instead of cleaning their own house is a principal reason they are in deep shit now. Just as I was working up some sympathy... POOF!

6. MickeyM

MickeyM New Member

Isn't it a bit two-faced for a company to demand loyalty from its employees, yet feel perfectly OK to layoff 30,000 of them when things get tough?

Instead of demanding loyalty, they might do better trying to earn it. If an employee doesn't drive a Ford, Ford would be better off asking them 'why?', learning something from it, and trying to fix it. After all, if there's a reason your own employee doesn't buy your product, you can be sure there are thousands of customers who won't either. Wouldn't Ford benefit from knowing why?

Yes, Ford has "right" to demand that their employees drive Fords. And the free market guarantees every company's right to make poor decisions and go out of business.

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In related news Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer just announced that no computers on the Microsoft campus should be running Linux or using OpenOffice, Corel Office, or Lotus Smartsuite.

Where's the outrage?!?!

8. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Next they'll be asking their dealers that all salespeople have to drive Fords or else they'll be fired.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :lol:

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, your post just made me think that when you look at the number of Ford employees and you force them all to drive Fords, the number of Fords sold in the U.S. will undeniably increase. "Look at our sales numbers; Americans love Fords! We're number one!"

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Heh, the really funny part is that GM and Ford don't make any money on sales to employees. With their employee discounts that they can pass along to friends and family, I wonder if there's anyone in the motor city who the companies actually make any money on the sales.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    this has been the unwritten policy for YEARS. had one uncle who was a millwright at the vinyl plant in Mt. Clemens, MI for 35+ years, had two cousins who worked at gm. i worked at gm very briefly. you could drive what ever you wanted and sometimes other american cars were tolerated. but drive a foreign car in the lot and you will be towing the car out and it had nothing to do with the management there

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

hmmm, last poll i heard last summer said that 85% of microsoft employees owned an ipod

14. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And people have taken to wearing black headphones with them on the Microsoft campus.

There was an article in Wired where a MSFT VP gave his/her staff a dressing down for discussing iPods as christmas gifts, and pointed out that they, of all people, should be buying Microsoft "plays for sure" compatible devices (which the iPod is not).

Also, apparently Larry Ellison doesn't want his people using SQL Server.

And shocker, I heard that at IBM, if you try to order a Dell for regular use, you get a very stern talking to.

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    ...if not the packer. ;)

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, in that case I'd buy the cheapest, sorriest looking piece of Ford junk I could find that was still running and use that just for work. And I'd make sure it had a bumper sticker that said "Company-forced car. My other car is a Prius."

They may be able to make you drive a Ford, but they can't make you remove a bumper-sticker. Free speech.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually the Ford employee purchase plan was very very nice. my uncle bought a new car every few years. Ford provided financing, payroll deduction and the ability to drive your car home straight from the factory. in fact he went through so many of them i dont even remember half of them.

only car i remember his having for any length of time was his Plymouth Duster . he had that one for about 5-6 years but my Aunt drove that one so his work never saw it.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, that's stupid.

and for the record, there were 2 non-toyotas in the employee parking lot DH saw at the SET port facility... and they didn't have flat tires and they weren't missing door handles.

you're only putting your own employees through hardship if you force them you buy your product. say someone just cannot find a good car they can afford. they find something that works, they invest a little in maintenance, then they're told that they have to buy another one and narrow the search to one name brand. and to top that off, most cars of that particular name brand that are used require significant repair. that makes them unhappy. disgruntled workers are bad in any business, especially the car business.

19. CHART

CHART Member

I agree that this is exactly the message it sends...So what does Ford want to do? It seems to me that they can either make sure that this message is redereed patently and obviously false by making and selling great cars or they can just try to squash the message by making policies like this that have a very good chance of backfiring on them!!

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure if you're missing my point, Jack. I'm not saying that they will make money on the purchases only that their sales numbers will increase. After all, when I see the commercials I never hear the announcer say, "most profitable manufacturer in America." It's always, "Number one selling car in America."

Where I used to work, there was an Employee Stock Purchace Plan (ESPP) seperate from the 401(k). Nothing new about that. But there, the managers were reviewed based on the number of their subordinates enrolled in the plan. The managers themselves were denied bonusses and raises if they were not in the plan. More than that, they and their subordinates were ranked based on the dollar amount purchased every month. Now we all know that the company wasn't directly making money from the ESPP but on Wall Street there were constant "buy" bids for the stock. And since we got to buy for free but has to pay a service fee to sell, there were few if any "sell" commands. That made our stock look great and get high ratings and sure enough it went up supported by Wall Street analysts.

Was it legal? Maybe barely but I doubt it. Did the company make money from it? Indirectly but definately. Did I buy a lot of stock at a low price knowing it was going to increase based on their actions and ride that stock to its 5-year high and sell just one dollar short before it plummeted again? You betcha!!